Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GLS Ireland

• 07-10-2008 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I can see from online tracking that GLS Ireland are doing this incorrect address bull**** that I've read about here before when the address is clearly right, anyone know how I can just nip this crap in the bud and get them to deliver my package today? I swear if they mess me around on this one I'll go totally mental

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd say you're sh*t out of luck. GLS are a law unto themselves.

Unfortunately for you, the postal sector is also regulated by Comreg, so not regulated at all then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I can see from online tracking that GLS Ireland are doing this incorrect address bull**** that I've read about here before when the address is clearly right, anyone know how I can just nip this crap in the bud and get them to deliver my package today? I swear if they mess me around on this one I'll go totally mental

Maybe the address is smudged or ripped on the package you are getting? Give them a call with your shipping no. and they should be able to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Didn't arrive today, rang up, said can i collect the package, woman says no problem. Drive for over an hour total journey time, costing around 6 euro on the m50 from Dublin 14 to their depot in Blanchardstown, I'm told I can't have it cause it's in a container, and that I need to wait until tomorrow now for it to be delivered. Are these guys a real company? like, how could an organisation, a logistics one at that, be so illogical and incompetent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

They are the worst................i had a nightmare with them too, so you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thats not to bad at all.
    They lost one of my packages for a month once :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

well if it's not here by 2pm tomorrow I'll have filed a small claims case against them by 2.05. Why do parcelforce use them? Are they cheap or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think you need to be STUPIDER to lose a package temporarily than for it to just go missing completely. That's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They are actually good here in Cork, never had problems with them and also ring first etc. But Dub has been bad news for a while with them

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Why do parcelforce use them? Are they cheap or anything?

Royal Mail own GLS (and Parcelfarce).

They lost a laptop that I had ordered for a guy at work. How does something go onto a truck, but not come off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

GLS are a joke in my opinion. Had a parcel to be delivered last week. I call up and they tell me it is in Limerick after coming from UK on Thursday. I then had to wait until monday evening for it to arrive in Dublin. This was ridiculous, they said it was brought from Dublin to Limerick by mistake then make me wait the whole weekend because of there **** up ! Will never use them again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

jor el wrote: »
    How does something go onto a truck, but not come off it?

when it "eeerrrrrrr ahem" falls off it :cool:

I've just ordered my sprogs crimbo present from pixmania and am getting it delivered by parcelforce. should be interesting to see how this goes :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I had a package that did the rounds of Cork for 3 days before it arrived on a saturday. It had a history sheet attached which showed that there were numerous attemots at delivery in all sort of wrong locations even though the address was clear as day. Amusingly it also had a postcard attached addressed to the package delivery address stating that the address seemed to be wrong...

..my mind boggled at why they would think that if they couldn't find the address that the next best thing was to write to that same address looking for directions (maybe they felt An Post would succeed..)

Whenever i order stuff now..from anywhere, I ask for it NOT to be sent by GLS..........cos they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Here in Limerick I never ever over nthe past 5 years had any problems with them. I get some shippings every two month with them and everything has been in time.

But don't ask me about Interlink....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Unfortunately for you, the postal sector is also regulated by Comreg, so not regulated at all then.

Agree. They have bite of and effectiveness of a poodle or worse, the Fianna Gael party in standing up to Fianna Fail!

All you can do is hope for the best and keep your fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

ah crap! I am after having an item sent back to Scotland because they allegedly didn't have part of my address - I had to pay op&p again - how do I take them to small claims court does anyone know? I hate this crap from supposed professionals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

who007 wrote: »
    ah crap! I am after having an item sent back to Scotland because they allegedly didn't have part of my address - I had to pay op&p again - how do I take them to small claims court does anyone know? I hate this crap from supposed professionals!

GLS did that to me once with an item that came from the US. First they told they are sending it back and I complained and said the address on the box was confirmed by the sender to be correct and he had proof. So when GLS heard this they changed their tune and said Oh its here in Dublin in blanch. So I got in the car and drove up and low and behold they couldnt find it. They couldnt confirm it had been sent back to the US or they lost it in Transit or it was in their warehouse.

So I got completely pissed off and at the time had a very short fuse and told them Im not leaving this depot with out it and if they dont find it I will sue their asses. The reason I lost it no one seemed to care to look for it. They told they would call if it turned up and when I asked for a manager the guy behind the counter became an instant di$khead. So a manager came down and again I gave him all the details and he said he would get someone to try sort it out and I told him no I want him to do it. After an hour of me sitting there they found it the bunch of lazy twats. It was sitting in their loading bay all along.

I confronted the manager then about why it wasnt delivered to me and I let him listen to the message on my phone of them telling me they couldn't deliver it. He asked me was my address correct and I looked at the package and it was spot on. GLS are a bunch of muppetts. It seems they are held ransom by the antics of their own drivers. And they dont communicate in house either. Its sad really.

who007 wrote: »
    ah crap! I am after having an item sent back to Scotland because they allegedly didn't have part of my address - I had to pay op&p again - how do I take them to small claims court does anyone know?

Did you have to pay postage to GLS, or to the shop to get them to send it again? Did the shop confirm the address on the parcel was wrong, and was that their fault or yours? I don't think you can use the small claims court on a company based outside Ireland, and it would be the shop you have to deal with, not GLS, as you're not a customer of GLS.

Did you have to pay postage to GLS, or to the shop to get them to send it again? Did the shop confirm the address on the parcel was wrong, and was that their fault or yours? I don't think you can use the small claims court on a company based outside Ireland, and it would be the shop you have to deal with, not GLS, as you're not a customer of GLS.

Royal Mail on't pay him (the seller) the money back cos GLS said the address is wrong so in ordre to get it in time for my daughter coming over at Christmas I needed to pay him now to get it sent back and extra for extra tracking and insurance etc cos now I don't trust these idiots. He confirmed the address for me by email and it was spot on. I just rang them back again(!) and now they claim that it the driver couldn't find my apartment block. He said there was no manager there for me to speak to. So come 2pm if I have not heard back from them with an offer of a refund I am contyacting the Ombudsman and filing a complaint online with small claims court. GLS are apparently an Irish company so I can go thta far.. even if it fails I don't mind wasting their time in court as I work shift anyway and will most likely have the day off. The reason they don't stick around according to this guy anyway is that they are paid per delivery which encourages them not to spend too long looking for any particular address that seems troublesome! Yeah I know - can you believe that??!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

The biggest problem GLS & other couriers have is a contact number for the recipient is not on the box. - I had to collect a parcel from their carlow depot and they had about 200 parcels where delivry could not be made and the common problem was not one of them had a contact phone number.

The guy there told me that the couriers can be driving to home addresses unless they are sure that someone is available to take the item in.

Trick is to either get the parcels sent to a office address or get the sender to put your mobile number onto the parcel.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's fine in theory - I am not too fond of my phone number and address being visible to anyone en route. And anyway I work shift so am home 50% of the time they are likely to call. Also they said they had sent a message to the sender to get him to contact me for a phone number - but he confirms that they didn't do this.
    That's 3 lies so far that I have caught them out on (4 if you count the idea that they couldn't get to my apartment because of a non-existant gate) - I would rather just the honesty if they originally exlpained it to me as you just put it, but they didn't which is what p*sses me off more than anything!

So I called about my parcel again this nmorning - it was on it's way to me in Kildare from the Carlow depot. I asked could it be dropped in to me in work in Leixlip instead but no that would take an extra day to go to the Dublin depot first because Dublin depot looks after Leixlip. I say ok can the driver just call 30 mins before he gets to my apartment and I'll leave work and head over.
    No word back.
    I call back and they tell me it'll be delivered tomorrow - as it went to Carlow by mistake instead of Dublin and Dublin depot look after Clane!!!
    I ask for a supervisor and get told in a VERY snotty manner that a supervisor will tell me nothing more than I have been told already.
    I call back and ask for the supervisor by name - the operator goes and checks my ref no. and comes back and tells me the supervisor isn't there!
    F****In MUPPETS!!!!

Organised Kaos they are............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I must be one of the lucky ones ! Ordered a portable dvd player from NI on Thursday night last ( ebay ), despatched on Friday using GLS and arrived at midday today ( Monday ). Excellent service, I can't complain about them ( admittedly, it's my first time using them, although I had no choice, it was the seller who chose them ).

Just a word of warning/help to anyone ordering stuff that this crowd end up delivering - the driver told me there is a guy in one of their warehouses who is responsible for sending out stuff who doesn't give a toss and regularly sends stuff back. BUT if you make sure your phone number is displayed with your address then legally thay can't send it back without getting through to you on the phone (not just calling, but getting through!) - I didn't want to have my number on the outside of packages but I'd rather that than deal with all their sh*te again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

most of the time its down to the shipper not putting a contact number on the package, thus if you arent listed with the eircom phonebook online

the drivers prob wudnt bother trying to deliver unless you lived in a built up area

u just need to be sure you have your number on the package

putting stuff like +00353 may knock off essential digits to your number when its getting printed off on the shippers side, thus leaving half a number on a package when it arrives at whatever depot in ireland

it all depends how the shippers print their manifests and what courier they use

ups have their own system
    fedex also
    dhl also

each differs

i work in logistics so i know how it works, if im ever getting somethind delivered ill ring the depot its going to as its n route from the uk or wherever and get them to update their system with my number, if its not already there

that means i usually get the package in a reasonable timeframe, but i have to make a few phonecalls to push them on

i mean when the packages are in your areas depot in the morning, if the driver dosent like the look of the package or cant be bothered to load it, it will sit in the depot in the cold for another day if not more

to the above eejits who dont want their number on the outside of the box, courier companys dont empoy supermen with x-ray vision, nor mr.tom garmin.

i find it funny you dont want your telephone number put on the outside of the box for fear someone will read it.

those guys have thousands of packages going in and out, i doubt they give two ****s about your telephone number, it should be on the box to aid the driver deliver, ie. call ahead, make sure you are in, do you live rural, can you meet the driver et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BArra wrote: »
    most of the time its down to the shipper not putting a contact number on the package, thus if you arent listed with the eircom phonebook online

the drivers prob wudnt bother trying to deliver unless you lived in a built up area

putting stuff like +00353 may knock off essential digits to your number when its getting printed off on the shippers side, thus leaving half a number on a package when it arrives at whatever depot in ireland

fedex also
    dhl also

each differs

i work in logistics so i know how it works, if im ever getting somethind delivered ill ring the depot its going to as its n route from the uk or wherever and get them to update their system with my number, if its not already there

that means i usually get the package in a reasonable timeframe, but i have to make a few phonecalls to push them on

i mean when the packages are in your areas depot in the morning, if the driver dosent like the look of the package or cant be bothered to load it, it will sit in the depot in the cold for another day if not more

to the above eejits who dont want their number on the outside of the box, courier companys dont empoy supermen with x-ray vision, nor mr.tom garmin.

i find it funny you dont want your telephone number put on the outside of the box for fear someone will read it.

those guys have thousands of packages going in and out, i doubt they give two ****s about your telephone number, it should be on the box to aid the driver deliver, ie. call ahead, make sure you are in, do you live rural, can you meet the driver et al
    many people dont get deliveries because they live in built up areas and the drivers do not want the hassle of going through gates in apartment complexes or climbing stairs or going up in lifts to the correct addresses, they should be made accountable for parcels/packages not delivered which have the correct address!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭galtee boy

fedex also
    dhl also

each differs

I did ask the shipper to put my phone number on the package, which he did, but the driver didn't ring me ( I wasn't at home ). However he put a note through my letter box, telling me he left my package with my next door neighbour, putting their name and house number on the note. I thought this was fair enough and good thinking. I know you'll say not everyone has kind and honest next door neighbours !

most i find it funny you dont want your telephone number put on the outside of the box for fear someone will read it.

ehm.. calm down eh! I had a bloody stalker before who got my number and caused me a lot of aggro - I don't actually care abou th the delivery guy - it's some other f**in nutbar I'd worry about - with due cause! So why don't you relax before you start casting aspersions!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No phone number is an excuse oft offered by GLS. However, the same issue arises when the number is clearly marked on the package. The big problem is that a bunch of drivers just don't care, and/or are overworked. The easiest thing for them to do is to write off some parcels as incomplete address and try and postpone it a day. I've had 3 GLS drivers (who were sub-contractors .. I don't know if that's still the case) admit that, quite openely.

Of 17 parcels, only 3 were high value (>€1,500), and only 3 of them went missing. Guess which 3? Incidentally, all 17 were delivered later than advertise, and 11 of required me to ring to query them, before they were delivered.

Maybe they've improved, I honestly don't know; because I deliberately haven't used them in the last 3 years for obvious reasons. GLS, easily the worst courier (from local to international, from envelopes to pallets) I've ever dealt with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement