Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My PS3 vs Eircom's F1000 Modem -- a story of constant annoyances

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

OP,

Here's another option,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendnet-TPL-308E2K-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00BIH8W40/ref=zg_bsms_computers_1

Ethernet from your router to one of these sockets, and plug the other one in by your ps3 and ethernet from that to your ps3 anywhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

OP,

Here's another option,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendnet-TPL-308E2K-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00BIH8W40/ref=zg_bsms_computers_1

Ethernet from your router to one of these sockets, and plug the other one in by your ps3 and ethernet from that to your ps3 anywhere in the house.

That's a great offer on home plugs!!

And it basically removes all wireless issues you'd have with the ps3/xbox... provided that model of homeplugs are good.

Boogietime wrote: »
    That's a great offer on home plugs!!

And it basically removes all wireless issues you'd have with the ps3/xbox... provided that model of homeplugs are good.

They're ideal for gaming, haven't had a problem yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

smee again wrote: »
    RouterOS allows you to set the country and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to. If you have a house with no houses beside you I don't see the problem (or empty houses like I have).

Imagine you have a couple of people sitting around a table talking. Now as conversations ebb and flow, it becomes harder to understand what happening in your conversation and you have to really struggle to figure out whats going on. The usual pub problems.

Now imaging the prick at the top of the table starts shouting. Really loud, stupid loud. Even the people in his conversation find it difficult to talk to him, because they can't interrupt him, he can't hear them.

Thats what pumping the transmit power of a wifi point does. The best Wifi AP you want is the best listener. Because the problem with most wifi communication is the transmit ability of the small discrete antennas talking to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Imagine you have a couple of people sitting around a table talking. Now as conversations ebb and flow, it becomes harder to understand what happening in your conversation and you have to really struggle to figure out whats going on. The usual pub problems.

Now imaging the prick at the top of the table starts shouting. Really loud, stupid loud. Even the people in his conversation find it difficult to talk to him, because they can't interrupt him, he can't hear them.

Thats what pumping the transmit power of a wifi point does. The best Wifi AP you want is the best listener. Because the problem with most wifi communication is the transmit ability of the small discrete antennas talking to it.

Yes I know how it works, and it's not exactly as you describe, those sitting around the table are only interested in talking to the one shouting. As I said, set it to regulatory standards or turn it down if it does not suit your own situation, I pickup no other wifi networks in my house so it does not matter if my router is shouting, my devices with discrete antennas transmit much better and quicker, with much higher CCQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Duh-duh. I'm baaaack.

Getting more DNS error ****e on my ps3. Additionally, been suffering disconnections on my own laptop, once or twice I considered this was due to them eircom folks working outside the door, but not last night or at other times. I amused myself in thinking could they be acting to solve all the problems that I've been mouthing and spouting about on here.

Anyway. Would anyone like to share some new solutions to resolve my DNS error woes? Had Primary & Secondary DNS set to google's ones, but thinking of changing them to OpenDNS' to see if there's a change.

Rilgar wrote: »
    Duh-duh. I'm baaaack.

Getting more DNS error ****e on my ps3. Additionally, been suffering disconnections on my own laptop, once or twice I considered this was due to them eircom folks working outside the door, but not last night or at other times. I amused myself in thinking could they be acting to solve all the problems that I've been mouthing and spouting about on here.

Anyway. Would anyone like to share some new solutions to resolve my DNS error woes? Had Primary & Secondary DNS set to google's ones, but thinking of changing them to OpenDNS' to see if there's a change.

Why are you using Google DNS, use your providers, they are internal on their network and prioritised for. I'm not familiar with consoles, but could you tell us what happens that makes you believe it's a DNS error. DNS is just a single lookup to get an IP from a human readable domain name. You do not want to be connecting to DNS server the other side of the world

I checked them in eircom's modem page and the DNS values were set to "From ISP," which in turn turn out to be Google's. Odd, eh?

I know it's a DNS error because, in between the plethora of errors that get thrown at me on my ps3 console, some of them occasionally come up with an error code and a message that'll say something to the effect of "This is a DNS error." Haven't seen that quote lately, but out of the recent errors I've been getting is an error called "80710102" which again is DNS related, according to the techs over on Playstation's official forum, anyway.

Out of curiously, I'm hitting the road later today and I'm thinking of taking my ps3 with me just to see if it can connect to other modems and eliminate it from the problem, which I thoroughly believe lies with eircom's bogus lil' box. Ugh.

And also, for a reference, here is an incomplete list of at least some of the errors I've gotten while trying to sign into the Plystation Network and stay connected at that since we installed eircom's F100 - custom-Zyxel - "eFibre" modem;

80710D23 (Network Server Timeout)
    (Don't have the code) - DSNL media server error
    80710102 - DNS error
    80028E02

A DNS error in the logs may mot be a DNS issue, it could just be the non return of a DNS request due to an inconsistent connection

In that case, I'm as wise as ever. *sigh*

If that were the case, what would you advise me to do?

• Advertisement

In that case, I'm as wise as ever. *sigh*

If that were the case, what would you advise me to do?

First thing to do is make sure he console works OK on another connection

I'm almost sure that it will, but I will check it later tonight, all the same.

Lads, please help me, I'm at my wit's end with this ****ing yoke.

would someone be kind enough to tell me, step-by-step, what would be the ideal settings for the eircom F1000 modem for gaming online?

Lads, please help me, I'm at my wit's end with this ****ing yoke.

would someone be kind enough to tell me, step-by-step, what would be the ideal settings for the eircom F1000 modem for gaming online?

Have you tried the home plugs I suggested a while back?

I can't find the post where you mentioned this TiltedBrain, so can you please link me to it?

Couple other things I've tried doing:

Gave the PS3 a static IP
    Changed Primary & Secondary DNS' to OpenDNS' ones on both modem and ps3
    *Tried* to put ps3 in DMZ (do you use the IP of the ps3 for this? It's what I did but i could be wrong)
    Port Forward'd 9 ports for ps3
    Put ps3 in static DHCP

And still no ****ing dice. Continuing to have problems as of this morning.

Oh yeah, one other thing, my ps4 is also suffering the same problems, a brand new machine barely in use, so this is clearly an eircom **** up, agreed?

Some more information:

Christ alive, after spending over 30 minutes trying to get a hold of a eircom "technician" I once again was getting the run around, getting told that "Oh, it's a problem with Sony" blah blah blah, a conversation which accumulated in basically being informed that the F1000 IS NOT compatible with either Sony console. Unbelievable!

Oh yeah, one other thing, my ps4 is also suffering the same problems, a brand new machine barely in use, so this is clearly an eircom **** up, agreed?

Some more information:

Christ alive, after spending over 30 minutes trying to get a hold of a eircom "technician" I once again was getting the run around, getting told that "Oh, it's a problem with Sony" blah blah blah, a conversation which accumulated in basically being informed that the F1000 IS NOT compatible with either Sony console. Unbelievable!

It's about 10 posts back, it will allow you a good wired connection anywhere you have a plug socket,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BIH8W40/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=zg_bsms_computers_1

Mmm, I will look into this TiltedBrain, thank you very much!

Some other developments. Now my ps3 is telling me that "the router in use may not support IP Fragments, and the communication of some games may be restricted." This has come up after I manually put in an IP Address, the default router address and primary and secondary DNS address per instructions in this guide; http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/16307-ps3-optimal-network-settings-guide.html

If this is to do with MTU and packets, I tried putting in 1472 which according to ipconfig in cmd is the highest packet number that doesn't need fragmentation.

Okay, tried my second modem, still no dice. Still having the same problems, and additionally now my ps3 keeps thinking the WPA key is wrong. Lovely! While the wireless remains perfectly fine and functional on another modem I recently tried. Thus, the ps3 ain't broken, the modems aren't broken, which means there's a problem somewhere in the go between, I'm assuming.

I've since gone and purchased these home plugs;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BIH8W40/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So fingers crossed I'll have some luck with them.

Another thing; now that I have two eircom F1000 modems is there some way I can use the two of them in a beneficial way, or will that be completely pointless?

Edit: actually; I've just added the MAC address of my ps3 to the MAC Address List in the modem's settings and soon after doing this the ps3 immediately jumped back into PSN. A nice result?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Some more information:

that is bull****

there is many customer using ps3's ps4 on the f1000

you might need to just open the ports the ps3 or ps4 needs

go onto the f1000 and reserve the ip address your ps3 has so it always gets it. then turn off the ps3 and reboot the f1000

then log onto the f1000 and go to network settings > nat

go to applications tab and add new application

choose game consoles > ps2/ps3

enter the reserved ip address of the ps3 and tick active.

then apply

now turn on the ps3 and the ports it needs will be opened and it will connect to the psn network

unfortunately the f1000 will only allow one ps console have these rules

in order to get both the ps3 and ps4 to work you will need to put one in the dmz

reserve the ip of the ps4

turn off ps4

then go back to nat > dmz and enter the reserved ip of the ps4

apply and turn on ps4

now your ps3 and ps4 can both connect to the psn network at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jk787

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, but after some searching it seems to be the most relevant. My issue is trying to configure remote access to my CCTV cameras via the eircom F1000 modem/router. My setup consists of a static IP from eircom, a Linksys router behind the F1000 with my DVR, statically addresed from, and connected to the Linksys network. In brief :
    eircom router has 192.168.1.254 address, Linksys has 192.168.1.2 connected to LAN port of F1000 (configured as static), DVR has 192.168.0.250 (Linksys network) statically configured.

I can access the DVR from my home via the Linksys router no problem, and indeed prior to e fibre I could access them remotely via the Netopia with no issue. I have opened ports 100, 8080 and 9000 in the e fibre router, and, out of frustration, have tried multiple combinations of server and WAN IP addresses (have a look at page 155 of the e fibre users manual and you will understand http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/eircom_F1000.pdf

the address used in the config line example do not match those in the diagram above it).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and once again apologies if this is not the correct forum to publish this.

that is bull****

there is many customer using ps3's ps4 on the f1000

you might need to just open the ports the ps3 or ps4 needs

go onto the f1000 and reserve the ip address your ps3 has so it always gets it. then turn off the ps3 and reboot the f1000

then log onto the f1000 and go to network settings > nat

go to applications tab and add new application

choose game consoles > ps2/ps3

enter the reserved ip address of the ps3 and tick active.

then apply

now turn on the ps3 and the ports it needs will be opened and it will connect to the psn network

unfortunately the f1000 will only allow one ps console have these rules

in order to get both the ps3 and ps4 to work you will need to put one in the dmz

reserve the ip of the ps4

turn off ps4

then go back to nat > dmz and enter the reserved ip of the ps4

apply and turn on ps4

now your ps3 and ps4 can both connect to the psn network at the same time

Tried this, now to see if it works in the long term, thanks a mil!

Nope, I'm still getting thrown out, Freddy. :( Although, if its possible,I found that my connection with sony's network has improved a little bit. I'm really hoping those homeplugs I ordered will end this nightmare for good...

I'm beginning to notice a pattern here. Now, i will be getting some home plugs tomorrow but...

It seems whenever I turn my laptop on, my ps3 gets disconnected almost straight away. Now i know this may have something to do with the laptop stealing the ip that the ps3 was using but....My laptop usually gets the first, single number at the end ip that's available, usually a x x x .1, or .2, whereas i've given the ps3 a x x x .13. I'm....baffled.....

How many other devices are connected to the router?

Three. Laptop, android and ps3. Modem recognised laptop and android for what they are(showed laptops computer name and said that the other device is an android), but it comes up as unknown for ps3 unless I manually rename it.

So it's been well over a week now and no sign of these home plugs. But that's another matter that I've since taken care of. On a side note, I have finally yielded and swapped to a wired connect...by lieu of my laptop. It ain't a conventional fix but at least I can finally grab games I bought during the week from the PSN store and download them with as-of-yet zero issue. (And the speed is niiiiiice, too)

Okay, last ressurection type post I'll hopefully do in this thread.

It seems I've found the solution to my problem. Lately the PS3 has been returning errors about the router not supporting IP Fragmentation. In light of this I went poking around and checked the MTU for the eFibre router and it was set to 1500, as you would expect. So then I did a ping test in command prompt and found the that 1500 would need fragmentation. So, I went about typing in packet sizes until I got the highest value where all four tests came back without issue, and that was something like 1472 I think. Did this change, and so far, so good. Thank god.

Can't believe it was something so simple. Who knew, haha.

Advertisement