Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How is everyone studying for the comparative?
    Are you just learning off one essay for each mode you're doing and adapting the answer to fit the question on the day?

Ah this day next week we'll all be talking about what poet came up and which Hamlet questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

How is everyone studying for the comparative?
    Are you just learning off one essay for each mode you're doing and adapting the answer to fit the question on the day?

Ah this day next week we'll all be talking about what poet came up and which Hamlet questions.

Learning off a list of points for two different essays. Really in two minds about whether or not I'll bother with the theme one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

There has *usually* been one, yes. There's no rule, and no guarantees.

And 1 in *8* is more than a bit risky, you're good enough at maths to know that! ;)

Well it's actually 1 in 2!
    We've actually read through all of the poets in class so should disaster strike I won't be twiddling my thumbs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I wish there was no way of preparing for English so it would not be based on who could learn off the best answers. If they had any sense they'd just Random Number Generate it and pick the 4 regardless of gender or whether they came up last year.

That being said I'm doing all the male poets except for Frost :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

For the comparative, I'm studying the optimistic/pessimistic sample answer our teacher gave us earlier on in the year.

So if a different question comes up, should only be a matter of adapting to the question with the comparisons I learned.

(Totally reassuring myself here :pac:)

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    Learning off a list of points for two different essays. Really in two minds about whether or not I'll bother with the theme one though.

I think learning essay plans is the best idea, isn't it?
    I tend to take far longer than the allotted time when doing an essay at home so I should have a good idea of what to write in the exam if I want to finish on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I wish there was no way of preparing for English so it would not be based on who could learn off the best answers. If they had any sense they'd just Random Number Generate it and pick the 4 regardless of gender or whether they came up last year.

That being said I'm doing all the male poets except for Frost :p

A simple random sample would be quite convenient. But as you know from project Maths, nothing is truly random! Maybe they'll do it this year. Hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I also feel that way, I don't think there's really any point writing out essays as anything could come up really.

So I think it's better to learn the material and have essay plans written out, better use of the time imo.

I hope it's theme or issue my general vision answer was about 6 pages long I don't really want to write it as long as that and there's nothing I can cut out of it. I don't mind GV I know it well , I bet it'll come up though hopefully I'll write fast enough.
    I'd love if english was split into three parts so we could do say Hamlet in the morning , comparative in the afternoon then poetry the next morning .Rather than writing 3 essays in 3hours 20minutes.

You could always like draw up a chart for the comparative and compare or contrast them. I keep meaning to draw one up then getting caught up with other work.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I think learning essay plans is the best idea, isn't it?
    I tend to take far longer than the allotted time when doing an essay at home so I should have a good idea of what to write in the exam if I want to finish on time.

It's probably the best way to prepare yeah. For the comparative my notes aren't plans though it's like a couple of pages of points. The headings for each are easy to remember though so that's some consolation. :o

@MysteriousChic yeah my notes are in a kind of chart format with three columns so it's easy to see the comparisons. :) I actually want general vision and viewpoint to come up! :P

• Advertisement

It's probably the best way to prepare yeah. For the comparative my notes aren't plans though it's like a couple of pages of points. The headings for each are easy to remember though so that's some consolation. :o

@MysteriousChic yeah my notes are in a kind of chart format with three columns so it's easy to see the comparisons. :) I actually want general vision and viewpoint to come up! :P

I like GV its just my answer is so long it might take me ages to write , I might leave the comparative til last and do Hamlet and poetry first then spend the rest of the time on the comparative. I'll see how I am for time first.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I learn't an essay for V&V which can be varied into different answers (Did that for the pre also:p). Might have a glance over Theme & Issue aswell at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Plath's on the course for 2013 and 2014 so I wouldn't bank on her. Kinsella is also. I'm betting Heaney.

Had a weird thought the other day - what if we had a project for English? Like write a short story or something, or maybe do a study on a poet of your choice. It would be pretty interesting I think, and it'd take the pressure off on the day if 20% or so had already been done. The story idea probably wouldn't work because plagarism would be too easy, and the same might be true for the poetry, but still, just a thought. :P I actually love writing, but the exam makes me write worse than usual because of timing and pressure. :cool:

I'm not happy at all to be leaving school.
    I just sat on my own in a classroom today for about 30mins, thinking silently, weird yeah I know.
    But it's been my home for the last 6 years, loved all of my teachers, won't see half my class again, sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

I just sat on my own in a classroom today for about 30mins, thinking silently, weird yeah I know.
    But it's been my home for the last 6 years, loved all of my teachers, won't see half my class again, sad indeed.

I feel the complete opposite, the last year or two was fine but I've gone through enough bullying in the first few years from people in my year to make me so happy when I left :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't see many things jumping more than 5 or 10 points. The radio said 1500 less people are sitting the leaving this year because of low birth rate when we were born, so that could well cancel out the extra demand for certain courses to a point.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I feel the complete opposite, the last year or two was fine but I've gone through enough bullying in the first few years from people in my year to make me so happy when I left :/

Very happy to be leaving too

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I don't see many things jumping more than 5 or 10 points. The radio said 1500 less people are sitting the leaving this year because of low birth rate when we were born, so that could well cancel out the extra demand for certain courses to a point.:)

Some courses went up seventy points last year. There's still going to be a lot of decent differences in points this year, with rises and falls, just like every other year. Everyone should just do their best and ignore the points. They might go up, they might not, we'll know in August! :)

The 70 point jumps were exceptions though. The vast percentage of us aren't going for comp sci and maths, I think the rest of us should be fine.

• Advertisement

True. I just wish we were never told what points the courses are. I would've done better last year if I hadn't known, and the same goes for this year! Knowing just makes lazy students (like me) only aim for a bit above the required points, rather than aiming to do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Some courses went up seventy points last year. There's still going to be a lot of decent differences in points this year, with rises and falls, just like every other year. Everyone should just do their best and ignore the points. They might go up, they might not, we'll know in August! :)

I swear, if computer science goes up 70 points just because a load of eejits think it's something it's not...

I swear, if computer science goes up 70 points just because a load of eejits think it's something it's not...

Did the computer science points go up much last year? I'd be fairly annoyed if they went up because people who are experts at using Facebook and Word thought the course would suit them. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Are all the high points courses expected to go up? Or is it just maths and sciencey ones? The course I want is 530 as it is, really hoping it stays put! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Did the computer science points go up much last year? I'd be fairly annoyed if they went up because people who are experts at using Facebook and Word thought the course would suit them. :cool:

That's exactly what they're like. I know two of them who never listen to me when I tell them what it's actually like! I'd bet you a grand they drop out in year 1 too

UCD went up about 35, TCD a bit less - 20 maybe.

In my own opinion, only the maths and science ones will go up, but that doesn't make me the boss of CAO points :S
    My top 2 are 550 and 510 and I'd like it if they stayed there.

That's exactly what they're like. I know two of them who never listen to me when I tell them what it's actually like! I'd bet you a grand they drop out in year 1 too

UCD went up about 35, TCD a bit less - 20 maybe.

Ah well then they surely won't be as likely to take another big jump again this year. Good luck anyway! :)

What's your favourite colour?
    (oh yes I can do OT)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Lads anyone doing economics? I've just started a new predictions thread if anyone's interested? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056657036

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Got me thinking how much i'm gonna miss this thread next year and you guys *sniffles*
    What's your favourite colour?
    (oh yes I can do OT)
    And thank the lord, I can't stand all this serious LC talk :(
    Its blue and yours ? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement