Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

awec wrote: »
    I think Lar means don't make it sound like some sort of formal email.

Pretty much, yeah.

I'd usually just ask one or two questions about something mentioned in their profile. And leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Cool thanks!

Now let the waiting begin!!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jeasus, no messages in a while. Meh. Are there women here who'd give pointers on what I'm doing wrong on my profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why would a woman be out of your league because she is taller than you?

Because whatever physically attractive qualities I may or may not have are instantly blown away if I am shorter than her.

I'm 5 7' - 5 8'ish

Women look at height the same way guys look at weight. I pretty much knew going into this that I wouldn't get anywhere with such physical statistics up on show. But I would not be comfortable with lying either.

The girl in question has not replied in 6 days anyway so I imagine it was just to keep her replies in the green as someone else said earlier. Not seeing anyone else on OKC in my area anymore that I like/think I might have a chance with.

I've never even gotten a date. These things really have a way of making a person feel quite worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Went on first online date in months & months at the weekend.
    She was georgeous, like a model or something couldn't believe it!
    Anyway good chat but not sure if she fancied me, we weren't drinking and no sign of kissing or anything like that. She messaged me first but im always worried i only have really good photos of myself up! she is also older than me & same height(which people seem to think is quite an issue on here ha) i also looked hungover to bits im sure from the previous night :P

do many of you get a proper kiss at the end of a first "coffee date"? would of seemed out of place i thought trying anything like that. I asked her out again and she said yes but obviously not gonna say actually no i dont think so if i put her on the spot. But sure ill text her during the week and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Like I said, I would include pics once I started messaging girls that I like.

In relation to that just be prepared that you may not get a reply when you send your pic. Kind of disheartening when that happens which is why I put pics up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Right, what do all y'all make of this?

Joined POF on Wednesday. One of the first guys to message me seemed really nice. We were on chat for ages that night.

Didn't talk on Thursday, I missed a chat request from him.

I was out on Friday night, came in at about 2am, blotto, and logged on. He invited me to chat immediately and we were on again for ages. Nothing sleazy, just friendly, with a mildly flirtatious undertone.

Arsed around the house Saturday day, was thinking about our conversation a bit and went "Oh God, did I ask him out last night?" Logged on, he was online, invited him to chat and asked him out straight had I asked him out. He was like "Yep :). No backing out now!" We were chatting for about an hour and next thing he went offline literally mid-conversation. I was like "Christ, bet you he's married and his wife walked into the room or something."

Anyway, I really couldn't be bothered playing games so I just sent him a message yesterday morning saying that I wouldn't be online all day, here's my number, I asked you out, I'll leave the rest up to you. Needless to say, he didn't text me, but when I logged in this morning, I had a missed chat request from him from last night. WTF?

I have the app and apparently if you leave yourself logged in on your phone, it shows you as being online. So now I'm like, great, he probably thinks I was blanking him now. But then on the other hand I'm just going he has my number, if he wanted to talk to me that badly, he could have just texted me.

Bloody mixed messages! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Thanks for the tip! Do you mean, dont list off stuff like hobbies etc? I sent a few there and I just mentioned a couple of things from there profiles. It's a bit weird emailing strangers! But hopefully one of them wont be a stranger for much longer! :D

Thats a good approach Lizzie. When you're looking at a lads profile. Don't just go for the "Hi, your hot :P how are you?" approach. Personally that drives me mad, I'll always reply to someone who shows they actually made an effort and read your profile.

Eg. "I see you're interested in Paintball/ Origami/ Rugby, hows that going for you?".

A stupid joke or something that gives the person a chance to engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Honey-ec wrote: »

Joined POF on Wednesday. One of the first guys to message me seemed really nice. We were on chat for ages that night.

I was out on Friday night, came in at about 2am, blotto, and logged on. He invited me to chat immediately and we were on again for ages. Nothing sleazy, just friendly, with a mildly flirtatious undertone.

Arsed around the house Saturday day, was thinking about our conversation a bit and went "Oh God, did I ask him out last night?" Logged on, he was online, invited him to chat and asked him out straight had I asked him out. He was like "Yep :). No backing out now!" We were chatting for about an hour and next thing he went offline literally mid-conversation. I was like "Christ, bet you he's married and his wife walked into the room or something."

Anyway, I really couldn't be bothered playing games so I just sent him a message yesterday morning saying that I wouldn't be online all day, here's my number, I asked you out, I'll leave the rest up to you. Needless to say, he didn't text me, but when I logged in this morning, I had a missed chat request from him from last night. WTF?

I have the app and apparently if you leave yourself logged in on your phone, it shows you as being online. So now I'm like, great, he probably thinks I was blanking him now. But then on the other hand I'm just going he has my number, if he wanted to talk to me that badly, he could have just texted me.

Firstly, relax! He might not want to give you his number just yet! Give it a few days :)

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Thats a good approach Lizzie. When you're looking at a lads profile. Don't just go for the "Hi, your hot :P how are you?" approach. Personally that drives me mad, I'll always reply to someone who shows they actually made an effort and read your profile.

Eg. "I see you're interested in Paintball/ Origami/ Rugby, hows that going for you?".

Even if they say something in relation to my profile if they use incorrect spelling or grammar I won't reply :o I also can't read profiles with text speak! Use full words!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Because whatever physically attractive qualities I may or may not have are instantly blown away if I am shorter than her.

I'm 5 7' - 5 8'ish

Women look at height the same way guys look at weight. I pretty much knew going into this that I wouldn't get anywhere with such physical statistics up on show. But I would not be comfortable with lying either.

I used to think this, however my last girlfriend was more than an inch taller than me (significantly more when in heels). Oftentimes women who are tall have learned to 'deal with it' and aren't too fussy about a guy's height as they know they are severely limiting their options when excluding from consideration any men who aren't as tall as they.

BigDuffman wrote: »

Thanks for the tips! If you're getting "you're hot" messages I might have to try and find you myself! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'd echo what he said Lizzie. Make a comment about something on their profile even to show nothing other than the fact that you actually read their profile.

I got a classic one of them the other day - it actually says on my profile that I don't want kids and I got a message from a guy whose username was <modsnip> and he's 27 and has not one, not two, but three daughters.

Seriously, dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

:pac:

I'd say people with kids have a hard time of it on there so I'd cut him a bit of slack. ;)

People without kids have a bloody hard time on it too!! :D

For the male POF users - quick question!

If a fella has chosen "wants to date, but nothing serious"...is there any point in contacting them if I have set "looking for a relationship"?
    Just trying to figure out the meaning behind "dating, but nothing serious"....that could be guy-code for wants a quickie!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If a fella has chosen "wants to date, but nothing serious"...is there any point in contacting them if I have set "looking for a relationship"?
    Just trying to figure out the meaning behind "dating, but nothing serious"....that could be guy-code for wants a quickie!

Or he doesnt want to come across as looking to get really serious really fast incase it scares people off. Reading too much into things is the devil O_O

:pac:

I'd say people with kids have a hard time of it on there so I'd cut him a bit of slack. ;)

Yes but if she has said she doesn't want kids it's a bit pointless!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I've said it on this thread before, if you start to analyse things that deeply you will only drive yourself nuts.

Could end up like me......
    2007_7young-frankenstein.jpg

Or he doesnt want to come across as looking to get really serious really fast incase it scares people off. Reading too much into things is the devil O_O

Oh yes...totally...this was the other way of looking at it. I should have pointed that out too! I know I'm over analysing...Ive just started so I suppose Im all enthusiastic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I got a classic one of them the other day - it actually says on my profile that I don't want kids and I got a message from a guy whose username was <modsnip> and he's 27 and has not one, not two, but three daughters.

Seriously, dude?
    I can see that he's thinking "not want to have any kids? that's cool; I already have three :P"

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

the_syco wrote: »
    I can see that he's thinking "not want to have any kids? that's cool; I already have three :P"

There should be a "Don't want my own and don't want your's either" Choice! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's the deal with chatting up people who live miles away? Worth it just in case, or too much hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

What's the deal with chatting up people who live miles away? Worth it just in case, or too much hassle?

The deal is usually buy 2 get 1 free although I got a free case of coke with my last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

the_syco wrote: »
    Jeasus, no messages in a while. Meh. Are there women here who'd give pointers on what I'm doing wrong on my profile?

If its POF, send it my way. I'll have a look for ya.

I'm 5 7' - 5 8'ish

The girl in question has not replied in 6 days anyway so I imagine it was just to keep her replies in the green as someone else said earlier. Not seeing anyone else on OKC in my area anymore that I like/think I might have a chance with.

I've never even gotten a date. These things really have a way of making a person feel quite worthless.

Don't mind the height thing. Lots of small girls out there.

The bit I bolded: Get out of that mind set or online dating will never work for you. There could be a number of reasons why the girl didn't reply. Onwards and upwards. (It's happened to many of us in here btw!)

I don't want this to sound pratronising but relax!! Just see how it goes.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I used to think this, however my last girlfriend was more than an inch taller than me (significantly more when in heels). Oftentimes women who are tall have learned to 'deal with it' and aren't too fussy about a guy's height as they know they are severely limiting their options when excluding from consideration any men who aren't as tall as they.

If the right dude comes along, a small difference in height isn't going to matter. But it does feel weird kissing someone shorter than you. :o

In my experience, they are just after a shag.

Depends what type of a relationship you want. If you don't mind long distance, go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I'd given up on this a while ago, found RL to be more successful (not difficult tbh). This is stolen from someone else's post. Very interesting reading.

Basically confirms what I'd thought about internet dating- the top 20% of guys get all the action and as a result can pick choose their girls, and subsequently mess a lot of them around. Very depressing (and surprisng) to see how shallow some (most) of the OKC girls are. Not to mention people of PoF.

On a sidenote, I must be really ugly if the "least attractive" guys are getting a 20% response rate :D. I got 10% and sent about 80 messages over 2 months. 3 dates, one girl I was seeing for about 6 weeks but it wasn't going anywhere. Each message was about 10-20 minutes, so I was putting in ~3hours per reply and ~6 hours of message writing per date.

Wish you all the best of luck, glad I did it but the return on my time is not worth it!

Please note this is not "attack" on girls using OD, more just my observations and how I felt after my experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement