Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I decided to go for this in the end. I was up early and decided to go with my nerw morning race strategy of no food. Just a coffee and a glass of Orange juice.
    The weather was brutal, windy and spitting rain. I decided to head up to the start lne with just shorts and a singlet all the same. Met Xebec on the jog up from the clubhouse. I was still unsure of whether my legs would hold up at a fast speed or not, but I did a few sprints up near the start line and decided to give it a good lash anyway. The race started up bang on time. Disappointingly there were no starting mats despite this being a chiptimed race :rolleyes: but I was no more than a few seconds from the start line anyway.

1st k I deliberately tried to keep it slow given my history of starting too fast. 3:53!! I slowed down in the second K as we faced a strong headwind down chesterfield Av, Still 4:05 was good. We then headed towards Kyber and the going was OK, I passed a good few going down the hill, I never understand why people are breaking on the downhills on races :confused:3:57 Into the 4th kilometer and I was still flting downhill, though at half way we turned onto military road and face the next 500m uphill. I held it together focussing in the road, I actually passed a good few here but it was still a slow KM 4:14. On passing 4k I saw I needed something like a 3:49 last k to break 20 minutes. Unfortunately I had no big zip in the legs and despite trying to push on the last km was 4:03.
    By my calculations My time was 20:12-20:14, Unfortunately I forgot to stop the garmin on crosiing the line and let it run a good bit after the race, I didn't stop it till 20:21 in the end. I guess I'll waith until the official times come out and take a second off that it took to cross the line.

Really happy with this, A PB by over 40 seconds after it looking like I wouldn't even be able to run. I couldn't even walk on thursday!!

Summary: 5k race in 20:12-20:14 (6:30/mile pace) AV HR 171 (max 181 going up that hill!)

Total for the day 6.5 miles including warm up and cool downs.

Well done to Xebec on a fatastic performace. I think he knocked 2 minutes of his 5k PB. I'll let him tell you more about that though!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice running, congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff meno, alot of factors went against you for this one but if I was a betting man :D I reckon your next 5k will read 19:??

Woddle wrote: »
    Good stuff meno, alot of factors went against you for this one but if I was a betting man :D I reckon your next 5k will read 19:??

That's the plan. And the target is the Rathfarnham 5k in Ocotber. On the oficial result sheet I am down as 20:15, So I'll mark the PB at 20:14 as there was no start mat and I was about 5 rows back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Well done today, great performance! The conditions were definitely against us and but for that you'd have gone sub-20 no bother... Guess we'll have to find another downhill 5k ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great result today. Serious stuff there. Well done.

Nice easy 5 mile ecover this evening. 46 minutes, 9:12 pace, HR 138

Weekly total: 6 runs 37.9 miles 1 race !PB

Happy with that considering I was injured half the week. I managed to get a great speed session an LSR with 3 HMP miles and a 5k PB.

A lovely 7.9 miles tonight round Tymon, I really enjoyed the run. Took it nice and easy. 71 minutes, 9 min/mile pace HR 140. The run was carefully measured to take me over 600 for the Year. May was my biggest mileage month so far and my first ever month over 150 miles. At this rate I should be finished the 1000 mile challenge by mid August :D

Year so Far:
    January 112 miles ( 41st overall on the 1000 mile table)
    February 73.6 ( 52nd)
    March: 117 miles ( 52nd)
    April: 141.8 for 444.4 miles total for the year(41st)
    May: 155.7 for 600.1 miles total (36th)

Tempo sessiom tonight. 2 x 2miles at HMP. I have used the term HMP very loosely before now and ended up running anywhere between 6:50-7:40 before today. I decided today to try to nail 7:30 miles tonight as that is the plan for the Enniscorthy Half and I wanted to get used to how that pace feels.

Tempo miles went as follows: 7:24 (157) 7:28 (162) 7:22 (154) 7:29 (159)

As suspected HMP should get me up around 160 HR.

Session was surprisingly tough as I normally run the tempos much faster but in fairness the last one felt better than the first, so maybe it was about warming up.

Overall Mileage tonight: 7.9 miles in 64 minutes. Pace 8:04, Av HR 151

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Meno,

purposely been keeping away from the running logs while im injured but just wanted to say fair play on the recent 5k race.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi Meno,

purposely been keeping away from the running logs while im injured but just wanted to say fair play on the recent 5k race.

Cheers kennyb. i am always keeping an eye on your log too! Any word of when you are going to be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cheers kennyb. i am always keeping an eye on your log too! Any word of when you are going to be back?
    have knocked it on the head for the summer, focusing on cycling as getting frustrated with the number of comeback runs i ve tried at this stage. will be back tho.

keep up the good sensible training

I bought this book a few weeks ago in anticipation of DCM training. It is also the schedule we are loosely following over on the DCM 3:30/Imporvers thread. Anyway, I have been reading the book intently for the last week or so and I am really sold on it. So much of what it says makes sense. I was just finishing off the theory and starting to have a look at the schedules on tuesday night when I realised that my runs on Monday and Tuesday more or less resembled the first two runs on week 1 of the schedule (9 miles general aerobic and 8 miles with 4 at LT). I have been meaning to start the schedule a few weeks early anyway given that I have a 2 week holiday at the start of August, so I decided to take the mental plunge and declare that I am officially on week one of the P&D schedule. We are 21 weeks away from DCM so I am starting 3 weeks early

For those who have read the book, there are 6 types of runs mentioned in the schedules, each requiring varying intenstities. P&D propse using hear rate zones to measure the intensities of these runs, which suits me as I always track HR anyway. Given a Max HR of 184 (it is a pretty educated guess a this stage) my training intensities over the next 21 weeks will be measured as follows:
    Long/Medium run 136-154 (74-84% MHR)
    Marathon Pace Run 145-161 (79-88% MHR)
    General Aerobic 129-149 (70-81% MHR)
    Recovery <140 (<76% MHR)
    Lactate Threshold 151-167 (82-91% MHR)
    VO2 Max (5K Pace) 171-175 (91-94% MHR)

While the paces might vary as my fitness improves, I will focus on staying within the above HR zones for maximum effectiveness.

Tonight a 4 mile recover was on the schedule. I decided to make it 5 given my 8 mile run on monday was one short of the prescribed 9 on monday night. I actually thought tonights run was supposed to be 'General Aerobic' and hence my HR is slightly above the prescribed limit (>140), but that is probably also due to the fact that we had a BBQ in work at 5pm and I went straight to the park after 2 burgers 3 ribs and 2 chicken fillets and a bottle of Bud :pac: At least I got plenty of protein for the day!! Very Hot tonight and felt a bit weighed down by the belly but
    5.2 miles at 9 min/miles (HR 143)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I bought this book a few weeks ago in anticipation of DCM training. It is also the schedule we are loosely following over on the DCM 3:30/Imporvers thread. ...... I am officially on week one of the P&D schedule. We are 21 weeks away from DCM so I am starting 3 weeks early....

Just wrote almost the same thing myself within the hour ! Good luck (to all of us !)

Week 1 day 4. 12 Mile Medium-long run.
    It was absolutely roasting out there, very similar to the saturday a few weeks ago when I bailed out after 10 miles of a 12 mile run due to heat exhaustion. The HR was definately a few BPM higher than normal this evening but I felt quite good all the way round none the less. I decided to belt out the lst two miles at around PMP (8:00) even though it was not in the plan. Did those in 7:55 (157) and 7:54 (160).

Overall 12.1 miles in 1 hr 44min Pace 8:37 Av HR 149.

That's it for the week. To be honest it feels like an easy week with only 4 runs. To be all finished by Friday despite taking a day off midweek is unusual. But I am happy with that and will rest up ahead of the cork marathon realy on friday. The plan is to belt out and try to hold onto the 3hr Pacer as much as possible. Being the slowest memeber of our team that should ensure we mak our sub 3 goal.

Total for the week: 4 runs 33.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

All the best Monday. At least it doesn't look like a heatwave like last year!

Monday 7th June Cork city marathon Relay
    Preparation for this wasn't the best. Went a bit wild at the weekend with Booze and Junk food all round. Went down on sunday in Woddles car and didn't eat all day, so By the time we went ot the restaurant that evening I kind of over did it. Wings, Lasagne, chips a slice of pizza 4 scoops of ice cream and shortbread and 2 beers to wash it all down :eek: Worst of all was I had the first leg at 9am. A rather sleepless night ensued with 5 trips to the toilet and a toothache. I felt thirsty and drank about 2 glasses of water from the bathroom tap and had another with a few anadin (for the toothache that morning) Going to the startline I knew the stomach wasn't right. The weather was awful too with wind and driving rain. Undeterred I went ot the front of the startline and introduced myself to Mick Rice the 3hr pacer. I proceeded to follow MIck for the first two miles. Bang on 6:45 for both, after two miles of twisting and turning in the city centre we got onto more exposed roads and the wind and rain was drving into my face, I let Mick Slip away. My stomach didn't seem to want me to chase after him so I let him go and my pace dropped. My HR never got above 168 and a 166 Average is very low for a race under 6 miles. Anyway I was confident that the lads ahead of me were fast enough. I eventually handed over to RAL3 after 5.5miles in just over 7minute pace. Waited for woddle and we went on to cheer home the lads and ladies of the A and B teams. My team broke 2hrs 56 and the B team went on to 3:27, gret last leg from Racoon Queen and good performances from Woddle and OI on their competitive comebacks. After this it was party party party and many drinks were consumed :o.
    I Met loads of Boardsies over the weekend and had a great time, we should do this kind of thing more often. Off the top of myhead I met: Racoon Queen, Xebec, Chinguetti, Woddle, RobinPH, Mithrill, OI, Ral3, the legends that are Hunnymonster and Zuppy Lurk, Ultraman1, Oisin, Brianderunner, Aero2k and SarsfieldRock (what a drinker!!). Sorry if I missed anyone but after 11pm things got a bit blurry. I think at one stage Woddle pointed out that Tergat was at the bar but I got a bit startstruck and didn't go up to intrduce myself.

Wedenesday 9tj June 6 miles recover in 56 minutes. Pace 9:20 HR an all time low at 135. I think this is fianlly where my recoveries should be at. Legs felt stiff to start but loosened out by the end.

The plan for the week is a bit off at this stage. There was no LT sessions or 6 miles recoveries in the programme so I will have to wing it from here. I am also up north on saturday to get my tooth seen to so I will probably have to fit in the key session on Friday evening- 13miles with 8 at MP :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I Met loads of Boardsies over the weekend and had a great time, we should do this kind of thing more often. Off the top of myhead I met: Xebec, Chinguetti, Woddle, RobinPH, Mithrill, OI, Ral3, the legends that are Racoon Queen, Hunnymonster and Zuppy Lurk, Ultraman1, Oisin, Brianderunner, Aero2k and SarsfieldRock (what a drinker!!). Sorry if I missed anyone but after 11pm things got a bit blurry. I think at one stage Woddle pointed out that Tergat was at the bar but I got a bit startstruck and didn't go up to intrduce myself.

FYP :)

FYP :)

:rolleyes: You're not quite there yet.

Last minute decision to do the LSR after work in marlay park. I might not get a chance tomorrow or Saturday.

The plan said: Marathon Pace Run- 13 miles with 8 at PMP :eek: Very daunting!!
    3 mile warm up at 9:10 pace (HR 135)
    8 miles PMP (8:00/mile) 7:50 (152), 8:01 (157), 7:42 (151), 8:05 (155), 7:51 (152), 8:00 (152), 8:10 (156), 7:46 (152). PMP Miles Average: 7:56 Pace (av HR 153). HR was perfectly in the P&D prescribed range (145-161)

2 Miles warm down @ 8:48 (146)

Overall 13 miles in 1:48:30, Pace 8:20 HR 148

Very undulating course. I actually found the first two PMP miles toughest mainly because I tried to keep up 8 min/mile pace at all times instead of easing back uphills and powering on downhill. I copped this after one lap and kept the HR consistant afterwards, allowing an uphill mile to be slightly slow and picking up on the downhill miles.

Really pleased with this run, felt good throughout. Drank no water (hadn't planned to do it so didn't bring my belt to work) so v thirsty afterwards.

I Will try to get my last session for the week (10 miles aerobic) over undulating hills on saturday morning.

• Advertisement

10 miles aerobic run, Very hilly route round south Derry. Early 9.30 am run and it felt great. 1hr 27 minutes. Pace 8:44, HR 144

Weekly total: 4 runs, 35 miles (programme said 36, but racing monday messed up the plan a bit).

Nice to see a return to 5 runs a week this week. Was finding it hard to only get out 4 times a week there for a bit :p

1st run of the week was 10 mile aerobic, but I had a rather tough weekend. My toothache turned into quite an ordeal and I ended up doped up on painkillers and with very little sleep for a few nights and not able to eat prperly at all. Thankfully all has been sorted now.
    Anyway I decided to move one of the two four mile recovery runs to tonight, haven't done a training run this short for a long time...

4.1 miles @ 9:27 pace. HR 137

Everything was generally stiff and tired. I hope to be good for 10 tomorrow.

10 miles General aerobic. 1Hr 27, Pace 8:47, Av HR 147

Really tough run. We had an unexpected resurgence of the sun and heat today I didn't expect it and suffered without my hat. Really struggled for the last 4 miles when the pace dropped off and the HR increased. I had to stop at the car for water as I was sweating like a trooper. Still, it was nice to grind out the run and get it finished as planned. Forecast is that we are in for a long spell of hot weather. Hopefully the body can adjust to it or else some of the PMP miles will have to be run slower than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yeah, it was very warm today. I went out for 4.5M and came back sweating buckets, you must have worked up a good thirst. Think the water belt might be needed for the next while. I managed to pick up that P&D book during the week. Travelling to Germany on Saturday morning, so will have a good read of it on the journey.

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeah, it was very warm today. I went out for 4.5M and came back sweating buckets, you must have worked up a good thirst. Think the water belt might be needed for the next while. I managed to pick up that P&D book during the week. Travelling to Germany on Saturday morning, so will have a good read of it on the journey.

Yeah, no water belt and hat was a real mistake today but I couldn't have predicted that weather this morning. Give me a shout whenever you fancy a run. I'll be having to do 8+mile runs most week nights from now on :eek:

Yeah, great. I'll be doing a run tomorrow evening and Friday. let me know when you want to meet up.

not tomorrow but might be doing my 14 on friday....

Thanks grand. See you on friday so, if you are going for 14.

Tonight was supposed to be an 8 mile tempo run with 4 at HMP. I wore my DS trainers for the first time since Cork Relay. I have been loving the Lunarglides lately.

First two miles were warm up at 9 min/mile pace but the legs felt stiff and heavy. I launched into the LT miles but immedaitely noticed I was sluggish. The legs weren't moving at all een though I noticed The HR was up where it should be. Plodded out two miles anyway 7:38 (155) 7:51 (160). and decided to call it a day at that. i wasn't feeling it at all and the pace was non existant. I should be doing 7:20s at this effort level. I feel my legs are ridiculously stiff and tight and I am not able to stretch the stride out at all. The Asics DS are a great trainer but the have really stiff soles. Stiff soles on stiff legs is not a good combo. I am defiantely getting a foam roller tomorrow, I really haven't been stretching at all lately and it is catching up on me. I also feel the heat is having a real effect on me as weel. The last two runs have been particularly sluggish. I hope to improve over the weekend. I will try repaet this session again next week.

4.4 miles @ 8:25, Av HR 145

• Advertisement

Met Aimman for a run in Tymon tonight.
    Much better altogether today. 6.1 miles @8:20 pace Av HR 147

For some reason his garmin was bleeping about 9 seconds per mile faster than me even though we weere both running the same pace :confused:. Aimman has sped up about 1 min/mile snce the last time I ran with him a few weeks ago.

Bought a foam roller and mat today and just got my first session done. that was sore!! I hope I can loosen the legs out over the next week or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement