Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non book reader and want book information/questions thread - No direct spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Deleted instead of adding spoiler tags by mistake,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Spoiler your post, its giving it away.

He wargs into Ghost, possibly! It's one of the very last chapters of ADwD and after the stabbing, Ghost opens his eyes
    Ghost doesn't open his eyes, Jon just calls out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Strider wrote: »
    Ghost doesn't open his eyes, Jon just calls out for him.

It's been a few years, thought I read that on boards lately, read this LFC Conn

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is Brann and Rickon's story any further in the books?
    A little further, probably less than 10 mintues of screen time to catch up.

Is there any mention of what happens if someone dies while warging in the book?

• Advertisement

Open to correction, but when Orell (The wilding Warg) dies, he wargs into his owl and attacks Jon, can't remember if it happens in the show. There's another Warg who is dying, and he too wargs into a wolf before his human body dies. It's a prologue chapter I don't remember more of, but I think he is killed regardless with no further explanation. Orell isn't mentioned again iirc

That sounds like some serious foreshadowing, will have to catch up on the books before season 6.

That sounds like some serious foreshadowing so. Will have to catch up on the books before season 6.
    He was a wilding, who had a Warg teacher or some ****, and he said how the worst thing he could do was warg into a human, which he then attempts to do. I believe it was opening the morality of Bran warging into Hodor in the tower, when the Wilding's discover he's not with them, and again when Bran and Co are attacked by the skeleton things in the Lands of Always Winter, when Jojen Reed is killed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They get stuck in the body of the animal and slowly lose their humanity over time. There's a passage about the children of the forest used to warg into the ravens (hence the reason ravens were used as messengers as the children of the forest could speak the message due to controlling them) and that you can still feel the spirit of the children in the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

amos13 wrote: »
    it is very different. This season has pretty much been entirely written by D&D, with the intention of converging the stories again in the latter stages of the story. Eg, Sansa stays in the vale, Hizdahr doesn't die at the pits but becomes king and rules Meereen now Dany is gone, Littlefinger never returns to KL, Shireen is alive and at the relative safety of the wall. The biggest change that annoys me tbh seems to be mentioned little by other posters- the importance of Ghost at the wall with Jon.

The big issue with this storyline for me is
    the addition of Hardhome in the Show and the zombie army etc.

In the book this hasn't happened and Jon didn't go so it is more realistic that the watch are brooding over the situation and take this course of action

In the show, relay they should all be consumed about what happened at Hardhome and what is coming at them. They should really be more sold on the idea of needing the wildlings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

Riskymove wrote: »
    The big issue with this storyline for me is
    the addition of Hardhome in the Show and the zombie army etc.

In the book this hasn't happened and Jon didn't go so it is more realistic that the watch are brooding over the situation and take this course of action

In the show, relay they should all be consumed about what happened at Hardhome and what is coming at them. They should really be more sold on the idea of needing the wildlings.
    I wonder would it have been an idea to have a band of the white walkers attack Castle Black, to kinda press home this idea (that they need the wildlings) or even have Hardhome earlier in the series so that there was time for the rest of The Watchers to come to terms with what was coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

How did Dorne end up joining the Seven Kingdoms? I remember either Tywin or Oberyn (or someone) mentioning that the Dornish never fell to the Targaryens and their dragons but I can't remember them mentioning how they eventually joined the rest of them. And are there really any strong ties in place? Dorne seems more culturally distinct than any of the other Westerosi regions and geographically it's pretty isolated as well. It seems to me that what happens in the rest of the Seven Kingdoms wouldn't be that important to them.

And why are they allowed to call themselves 'Prince' and 'Princess' for any particular reason when they technically bend the knee to whoever is in Kingslanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Vojera wrote: »
    How did Dorne end up joining the Seven Kingdoms? I remember either Tywin or Oberyn (or someone) mentioning that the Dornish never fell to the Targaryens and their dragons but I can't remember them mentioning how they eventually joined the rest of them. And are there really any strong ties in place? Dorne seems more culturally distinct than any of the other Westerosi regions and geographically it's pretty isolated as well. It seems to me that what happens in the rest of the Seven Kingdoms wouldn't be that important to them.

And why are they allowed to call themselves 'Prince' and 'Princess' for any particular reason when they technically bend the knee to whoever is in Kingslanding?
    Through Marriage. A Targ Princess (an earlier Daenerys Targaryen in fact) married the then Prince of Dorne. As they were never actually conqured they were allowed to retain their own titles.

Has there ever been a manifestation of the power of the god of the Seven? We've seen that R'hllor, the Old Gods and the Many-Faced God seem to be associated with actual magical works so I can understand why people would believe in them. Has there been anything similar with the Seven?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't think so. I can't remember any overt instances of magic from the Faith of the Seven.

Seems to be a very constructed religion. An aspect for everyone to relate/pray to (Father, Mother, Warrior, Maiden, Smith, Crone Stranger).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Only a spoiler if you aren't up to date with the latest season. From the episode 2 weeks ago I think.
    There was the Elder Brother from the monastery with the hound/gravedigger theory that we now know to be true. He is known to be able to heal things that should not be able to be healed and he follows the seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

More a speculation question than anything. Is there any possibility that the blond incestuous twins are Targs and not their imp sibling? It would be a better twist than the predictable one about Tyrions parentage imo

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has there ever been a manifestation of the power of the god of the Seven? We've seen that R'hllor, the Old Gods and the Many-Faced God seem to be associated with actual magical works so I can understand why people would believe in them. Has there been anything similar with the Seven?

Technically the Many Faced God is one of the Seven, The Stranger to be exact. I don't know how the faceless men view the rest of the Seven though and it seems they approach gods of death in different cultures as all being the one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Technically the Many Faced God is one of the Seven, The Stranger to be exact. I don't know how the faceless men view the rest of the Seven though and it seems they approach gods of death in different cultures as all being the one.

The Many Faced God is all the death gods, hence the name. In the books there are statues to the death gods of each of the religions, there's the Stranger, the drowned god, the Lord of Light, etc. in their hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

golfball37 wrote: »
    More a speculation question than anything. Is there any possibility that the blond incestuous twins are Targs and not their imp sibling? It would be a better twist than the predictable one about Tyrions parentage imo
    Nice one :). I wouldn't think so though. The fact that Tyrion is a dwarf (caused, one assumes by the genetic muddiness of the Targaryen incest) and has one eye which could be described as purple (another Targaryen marker).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Yes/No question:

Given everything that has happened up to and including the finale of season 6, are there still any major potential spoilers that us non-book readers need to be fearful of encountering?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

Duffman'05 wrote:
    Given everything that has happened up to and including the finale of season 6, are there still any major potential spoilers that us non-book readers need to be fearful of encountering?

There is one quite big storyline in the books which hasn't been incorporated into the show yet. I doubt it will be, as I can't see how it would work at this point but you just don't know. My advice is thus: you now have 10 months without GoT which is ample time to read up on five brilliant books and learn about all the sidestories and clues to what has already happened/ what is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that storyline won't be happening.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

At this point book readers are in the dark as much as non book readers. Every storyline that exists in the TV show is now well beyond and/or pretty different from the current book story (or at least what I can remember of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that storyline won't be happening.

The FAe storyline? Yeah I'm pretty sure it won't but with two seasons to go I still wouldn't mention it to the non bookies

amos13 wrote: »
    The FAe storyline? Yeah I'm pretty sure it won't but with two seasons to go I still wouldn't mention it to the non bookies

Yeah. Mummer's dragon and all that.

Does the Iron Bank ever come a-knocking in the books? They featured quite heavily for a few episodes (Stannis getting a loan, Olenna telling Tywin that the Iron Bank would get their money back eventually), but they haven't been mentioned since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Does the Iron Bank ever come a-knocking in the books? They featured quite heavily for a few episodes (Stannis getting a loan, Olenna telling Tywin that the Iron Bank would get their money back eventually), but they haven't been mentioned since.
    In the books a member of the Iron Bank is with Stannis so yes they seem to have a role to play

Daith wrote: »
    In the books a member of the Iron Bank is with Stannis so yes they seem to have a role to play
    they also stop funding the crown altogether, which indirectly leads to the surge of sparrows. Cersei arms the Faith Militant initially to wipe out the crown's debt to the Faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

With R+L=J confirmed on the show what would Jon's official second name be assuming R+L didn't marry(they might have)? Would it be sand for where he was born or still Stark because of who his mother is? I'm not a book reader but I am aware of a good bit of off show backstory so I'm confused as to why the assumption now is that Jon is an "official" Targaryen when he could just be a bastard by another name

Advertisement