Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Will they have a Curry Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hootanany wrote: »
    Will they have a Curry Thursday?

It's listed on the Blackrock Spoons, so it looks to be

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah each day is a special of some sort, curry, fish, steak etc. It means big meal and a pint for 9.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Friends dropped in there tonight without an invite and were given a free drink each

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have been to both the one in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire (both places on multiple occasions) and while it does draw a young crowd (bouncers regularly checking ID) I have yet to see any trouble.

Pints there are between €2.50 and €3.50 (manager special if there is one is usually €2.

Different meal deals every day for instance Fish night, curry night, Mexican night and steak night, so usually you get a meal and a pint or glass of wine for (€9.95 - €7.95 if you get a mineral) and on steak night you add €2 to that.

I have also seen a managers special for food which was around €4 for a curry or burger.

So when is the blanch spoons meetup? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alot of their beers weren't in stock but I am sure that'll be sorted at the official launch

Based on the other two - it won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

kingtut wrote: »
    So when is the blanch spoons meetup? :D

11th July: http://www.meetup.com/New-Dublin-15-Social-Club-Meetup/events/223541511/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Look forward to testing this out, been to the one in Blackrock and Belfast! Don't live out this way but the gf lives in Huntstown so this will become a Saturday afternoon feed and pint I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^probably need to get there around 10am so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Opening hours anyone ?

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Opening hours anyone ?

I saw they where open from 8am for breakfast, but no pints till 10.30 as per the law

quickbeam wrote: »

Oh I was expecting a boards one :) cheers for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Murt10 wrote: »
    He said that they had made a mistake in their pricing in Blackrock and would be soon putting up their prices in line with Blanch.
    Made a mistake?! like a typo? smells like BS

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot
    The Forty Foot
    March 30 ·
    Take a look at that thing of beauty. There's nothing like a decent pint of Beamish. And at €2.50 a pint, there's no wonder that it's a firm favourite with our customers.
    11051944_628766797254766_5061158515887770069_n.jpg?oh=9fb2e0b85555c768ba8769f71bbaf14f&oe=5630E86C

sounds like a real oversight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there today. Interested to see what 'types' attempt to gain entry.

I can only imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I love the fact that people are already complaining about the clientèle, in an establishment that has yet to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I love the fact that people are already complaining about the clientèle, in an establishment that has yet to open.

Did you ever drink in the Budda Bar?

I'm just going to give the place a chance before jumping to conclusions of the clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Well its a few feet up from said bar, so wouldn't get my hopes up.

Only thing we can hope for is they done their research(not hard to with it all over national press a few times) and have tight security measures

dodzy wrote: »
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall there today. Interested to see what 'types' attempt to gain entry.

I can only imagine.

Having been to the one in both Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire (multiple times) as well to the one in Belfast and in one of the London airports I can tell you that despite the cheap drinks they DO NOT attract a rough crowd!

These pubs are the same as any other with the exception that the food/drinks are exceptionally cheap and they have no tv/music.

Also there are always bouncers present and regular ID checks.

jeffk wrote: »
    Did you ever drink in the Budda Bar?

In fairness we should give Blanchy spoons a chance first before condemning it. I felt the Budda bar door staff where part of its problems too

Budda bar was a primary a drinking venue, spoons are targeting the lunch and cafe crowed too. I felt the Budda bar door staff where part of the problem too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How long has the budda bar been closed down now? I reckon the clientèle have found another regular don't worry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah lads the Budda bar closed down about ten years ago so the clientele will not be the same at all. Or if it is they should be older and wiser by now :D I used to drink in the Budda bar until West opened up, then we started going there. The fact Wetherspoons has no music will probably put off a lot of younger people, they might do a bit of cheap early drinking there but they won't stay for the night (I'm guessing). I'm looking forward to trying it out anyway.

January wrote: »
    How long has the budda bar been closed down now? I reckon the clientèle have found another regular don't worry.

The Mountjoy canteen for starters.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A comparison of the menus between Blackrock and Blanch was posted on the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum. Links here and here. Significant price changes from Blackrock, although as Murt10 already posted, presumably the Blackrock prices will be brought in line with the Blanch ones. Can't see the regulars there being happy with hikes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

Menu.

Some prices up 33% from current JDW prices in Ireland.

Beamish up from 2.50 to 3.50, as mentioned here earlier.

Geuze wrote: »
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

Menu.

Some prices up 33% from current JDW prices in Ireland.

Beamish up from 2.50 to 3.50, as mentioned here earlier.

Most of the real ale has been kept at 2.50, I suppose that Tim martin soft spot

Apart from some of the ales, the prices aren't as attractive as they were any more.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Apart from some of the ales, the prices aren't as attractive as they were any more.

Agreed, as a regular in the Blackrock the price increase definitely makes the bar lose some of its appeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I've noticed they have taken the online menus down. I was only looking at the Dun Laoighaire one yesterday to see what prices were like.

I presume they have upped the drink price to pay for the building which is rather nice.

• Advertisement

Check out the links above, increases of up to a Euro.

Advertisement