Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fine regulations Newbridge

• 23-07-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Perhaps somebody can help me with this. I pulled in to do two minute job recently - left engine running and hazards on - albeit on a double yellow. When I came out the parking guy was hovering, throwing shapes with a camera etc. However, I got into car and drove away (he looked well disappointed) - no ticket was issued to me or left on the car. Then this morning I get a letter saying "The above parking fine was affixed to your vehicle" etc and details of how to pay. Then I get a second letter with the actual fine in it. I have tried finding the obligations on the company that runs this on behalf of Kildare Co Co, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I am thinking I have grounds for appeal as ticket was never issued or "affixed" as letter states. However, I want to get opinions and advice before I address it in an email and put my foot in it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If he has the photo of you parked illegally and your number plate they can send out the fine later. The warden told me once that if someone pulls away they are forbidden from trying to stop the person in case they get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I believe it may be this company ( Not 100%) but have seen their vans floating about the town. APOCA http://www.apcoa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They likely have photographic proof and that's all that legally matters, " affixed " terminology, hazards or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Perhaps somebody can help me with this. I pulled in to do two minute job recently - left engine running and hazards on - albeit on a double yellow. When I came out the parking guy was hovering, throwing shapes with a camera etc. However, I got into car and drove away (he looked well disappointed) - no ticket was issued to me or left on the car. Then this morning I get a letter saying "The above parking fine was affixed to your vehicle" etc and details of how to pay. Then I get a second letter with the actual fine in it. I have tried finding the obligations on the company that runs this on behalf of Kildare Co Co, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I am thinking I have grounds for appeal as ticket was never issued or "affixed" as letter states. However, I want to get opinions and advice before I address it in an email and put my foot in it.
    Thanks.

OP, there are plenty of threads on this subject or similar on the Commuting section. The overriding factor would be that you are guilty of an offence but you can try and sort it out in court if you wish.....or pay the fine. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

But surely he had his hazards on?? This absolves him of the rules of the road or respect for other road users!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

tallpaul wrote: »
    But surely he had his hazards on?? This absolves him of the rules of the road or respect for other road users!!!

and remember it was "only 2 minutes too" - on the OP's watch.

OP - There's plenty of parking in Newbridge. Leaving hazards on does not give you immumity from parking regulations.

Pay the fine or face Judge Zaidan in Naas Court - I can assure you, I would pay the fine rather than face Zaidan (read up on how he deals with bad excuses! - you will be lucky to get away with €500 fine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thanks.

So you were illegally parked and the warden caught you? Sounds like they were doing their job to me. Pay the fine and learn your lesson. AFAIK the wardens have the authority from most if not all county and city councils to issue immediate fines to people who are parked in an wheelchair space or illegally parked on a double yellow line. There is absolutely no leeway for parking in these spots and you deserve your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Diego messi

Also if your car is out of tax by over one month they can issue a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The wardens can issue statutory fines for road traffic offences like illegal parking, non-display of valid tax, parking too close to a junction, etc. These are immediate on-the-spot fines, and their authority is delegated by KCC who in turn have statutory powers.

For pay parking fines, they need to note the lack of a ticket and then note it again after a period (10 mins I think). The handhelds cannot issue a fine on the first observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

But cyclists don't even pay the road tax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Apart from the cyclists who are also motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Hi all,
    Thanks all for taking time to reply. On advice from others who said I was peeing against the wind, I just went ahead and paid the fine. As I said in my original post - I was parked illegally - that wasn't really my point. I was curious if all procedures were followed correctly.
    I did email the company responsible twice with different queries asking about their responsibilities to the public i.e. whether the ticket should have been attached to the car or handed to me, especially as I asked the warden if everything was ok. I also outlined my suspicion to them that the warden took the photo as the car was pulling away. In fact, he may not even really have a photo. I thus queried whether a warden can issue a ticket after the car has left the scene or not. I got replies to my first two email basically ignoring my queries and saying that "This is a valid ticket", to pay up. I got no reply to my third email asking why the warden had not issued the ticket to me or stuck it to the car if he had already issued it.
    I agree that they may not have to do this, but that is now my point and one I am eager to pursue with the county council. Nowhere could I find (perhaps others will) anything or anywhere where the companies obligations to the public, in terms of taking of photos, issuing of tickets etc, are clearly outlined. The email address to query tickets is a kildarecoco address but replies come from the company. I don't believe it is good enough for KCC to completely wash its hands of parking and leave all queries to be dealt with by company with obvious vested interest. At the very least, it should be very transparent how wardens and company should proceed when dealing with public, issuing tickets etc.
    Anyhow, I may pursue it but prob wont as dont feel like being on hold/passed around for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

So, I called the county council and, in fairness, I got a very efficient response. They told me that with elapsed parking tickets etc, there is 15 minutes grace given, with elapsed tax discs (five weeks grace) but with double yellows, disabled spaces etc they give out an immediate ticket. This ticket can be issued in the post later. Once the reg and offence code has been inserted into the system, then the warden cannot reverse, stop the ticket. The photograph is only necessary as proof in dispute situations, as far I can gather.
    When I highlighted that the council and company websites only outline the publics obligations and not the company's obligations to the public i.e. how fines should be issued, can it be issued after the car has left the scene, periods of grace etc, the council spokesperson said the council will be meeting with company soon and said it can see no reason why a better FAQ-type or clearer outline of the exact rules should not be made available on the council and company websites. They said that, given the time of year, this may take a couple of weeks and that it should be online be mid-to-late September.
    So, there you go - we will see what happens!

Advertisement