Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spotted this filling up today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

kyote00 wrote: »
    They were filling up - both the vehicle and themselves with crisps and apples.

Not sure it was a "official" army but the combats looked legit....but I'm no expert.

They pulled in very carefully as the ariels would not clear the roof of station

Yes official army, there are no mowag piranhas in private hands anywhere to the best of my knowledge. The lads were prob on a driving school and stopping off for a bit of lunch. And the army do use external fuel suppliers at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

BX 19 wrote: »
    He actually wen't to the dearer petrol station in the town :D:D

i'd reckon the army probably have a fuel contract with topaz. my local gards, ambulance and fire brigade do i'm pretty sure. maybe they have the contract so to speak to fill up state owned stuff?

andyseadog wrote: »
    i'd reckon the army probably have a fuel contract with topaz. my local gards, ambulance and fire brigade do i'm pretty sure. maybe they have the contract so to speak to fill up state owned stuff?

Your right. I have on occasion filled up army vehicles in Topaz, to be fair they were petrol vehicles as its not stored in barracks anymore. Most barracks will have diesel tanks that they use for filling up but it wouldn't be uncommon to have to use external suppliers if stocks were low ( rare occurance ) or if they were in a barracks that had no fuel tanks.

A more likely explanation as I outlined above is that they were either on a tactical exercise or a driving course and stopping for some lunch. A lot of the time they just head off for the day driving when training the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A more likely explanation as I outlined above is that they were either on a tactical exercise or a driving course and stopping for some lunch. A lot of the time they just head off for the day driving when training the drivers.

When on tac you cant be in a shop like that unless its part of your duty eg getting medicine, soft drinks, supplies etc. Goodness knows how inappropiate is is to get a pack of plasters with that thing! :pac:

Petrol is no longer stored in most barracks.All diesel. Even the staff cars are mostly diesel, with the exception of a few vehicles (scorpion lbt is a jag 3.6 or 3.8, springs to mind)

For anyone wondering, the mowags shown to me had 10 litre supercharged diesel engines. Seriously comfy in the back, seats are suspended. Cutout in the roof for extra arms if needs be. Seriously cool stuff :)

dgt wrote: »
    When on tac you cant be in a shop like that unless its part of your duty eg getting medicine, soft drinks, supplies etc. Goodness knows how inappropiate is is to get a pack of plasters with that thing! :pac:

For anyone wondering, the mowags shown to me had 10 litre supercharged diesel engines. Seriously comfy in the back, seats are suspended. Cutout in the roof for extra arms if needs be. Seriously cool stuff :)

Yes officially it doesn't happen but unofficially well let's just say it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen. But tbh it looks like a driving instructors course.

And yes the mowag are a seriously cool and comfy piece of gear. I've spent a few days in and out of one. Also got the chance to take a quick drive in one but that was an unofficial spin in a field. However if I was to be honest I kinda preferred the harsh abuse your body gets driving a panhard aml 90!! But that probably a Cav thing. I've driven the Sisu too which was fairly cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Yes officially it doesn't happen but unofficially well let's just say it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen. But tbh it looks like a driving instructors course.

And yes the mowag are a seriously cool and comfy piece of gear. I've spent a few days in and out of one. Also got the chance to take a quick drive in one but that was an unofficial spin in a field. However if I was to be honest I kinda preferred the harsh abuse your body gets driving a panhard aml 90!! But that probably a Cav thing. I've driven the Sisu too which was fairly cool.

I take it you are Cav ;) based in the Curragh?

We would rarely get to see inside the back of those mowags! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I often see a convoy of these things on the way to work:

300px-Fennek-highres.jpg

dgt wrote: »
    I take it you are Cav ;) based in the Curragh?

We would rarely get to see inside the back of those mowags! :p

Ex RDF Cav. But have plenty of PDF relatives who are all trained on mowag and sisu 2 of whom were instructors. We done a few exercises with the PDF a few years back and spent a lot if time in and out of them. Anyway aren't the mowag not an infantry machine??

300px-Fennek-highres.jpg

Not in Ireland you don't :( fine machine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not in Ireland you don't :( fine machine though.
    when I was working in Germany I used to meet convoys of Humvees coming along the road - to see 20-40 of them in a line heading along is seriously impressive and they look the business. They're a lot bigger in the flesh than they look in pics. The Amer. airforce lads used to give some impressive displays when flying with GSR - literally skimming the ground at treetop height flat out. I don't really fancy a Mowags chances if one of those headed after it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pottler wrote: »
    when I was working in Germany I used to meet convoys of Humvees coming along the road - to see 20-40 of them in a line heading along is seriously impressive and they look the business. They're a lot bigger in the flesh than they look in pics. The Amer. airforce lads used to give some impressive displays when flying with GSR - literally skimming the ground at treetop height flat out. I don't really fancy a Mowags chances if one of those headed after it!

I thought this was pretty impressive, although Swiss and not really car related either :pac::pac::pac:

Liebherr+1.jpg

I thought this was pretty impressive, although Swiss and not really car related either :pac::pac::pac:

Liebherr+1.jpg
    Funnily enough, Liebherr have a HUGE factory down in Kerry - I did a fair bit of work on their stores warehouse and some of the sights are stunning if you are a metal-head. Seeing a boom like the one above head in in one piece to the paintshop is mad! A lot of the stuff is cut out of 9" - 12" solid sheet steel - up close, the components are mind blowing. It's actually fantastic that such market-leading heavy engineering is done here in Ireland, by Irish workers and then sent all over the world. Very impressed I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

inforfun wrote: »
    Hope their next stop was the McDrive .... :D

Or they could just head into 'Big Bites Indian takeaway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Liebherr+1.jpg

Are the other cranes really small or just very far away?

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist the father ted line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

300px-Fennek-highres.jpg
    Is that the new Google Streetview car? :-)

Pique wrote: »
    Is that the new Google Streetview car? :-)
    It's the one they use in Limerick. ducks and runs..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Pottler wrote: »
    . It's actually fantastic that such market-leading heavy engineering is done here in Ireland, by Irish workers and then sent all over the world. Very impressed I was.

Unless you is stuck behind one of their wide loads going to Cork for export.

They have been open over 40 years

Advertisement