Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Q/A - Google Music!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

so ive uploaded all my music from my pc. ive installed the app on my s3. ive gone and pinned every song on the s3 and left them overnight and they are now on my phone.

1. if i add a song on my phone will it show up on my pc automatically? - i think from reading and looking that i can only upload from my pc or from the browser. is that right?

2. can i make it so any new songs are automatically downloaded to my s3 so i dont have to tick each time i add a new song? - i think from reading and looking at options that i cant, but can you confirm?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Random wrote: »
    so ive uploaded all my music from my pc. ive installed the app on my s3. ive gone and pinned every song on the s3 and left them overnight and they are now on my phone.

1. if i add a song on my phone will it show up on my pc automatically? - i think from reading and looking that i can only upload from my pc or from the browser. is that right?

2. can i make it so any new songs are automatically downloaded to my s3 so i dont have to tick each time i add a new song? - i think from reading and looking at options that i cant, but can you confirm?

thanks

1. Pretty sure you need to use the music manager programming on PC to upload to cloud. There is probably a work around using a drop box like app on phone to upload and music manger on PC to monitor the drop box folder on PC.

2. Once songs are uploaded they will automatically show as available on your phone, my understanding is you will' have to select manually whether you want to pin it to that device by downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Love the way I can use a shared Gmail family account and all the family can use it to listen to our shared music anywhere – be it on their phone or on a PC or anywhere. Just upload all music that we own in the house (including the daughters Justin Bieber collection!!) and we can all log in and share all the music anywhere

Isn’t the cloud great!

Great Post OP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just to give you all a good laugh, my SD card shat itself last night and wiped all my music :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just to give you all a good laugh, my SD card shat itself last night and wiped all my music :mad::D

Bad news :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

is that on an S3? Mine did that last week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

elderlemon wrote: »
    is that on an S3? Mine did that last week.

No, on a Huawei Ascend G300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT30Y2L5yy6Jg3FQGQP8VQd9MV1deotpk7qm1616FpYQ3_mrT-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Dunno if I'm the right thread but here goes.

On Meteor with an S3, current version 4.1.2

Got a "firmware update" this morning, now the Google music app has shown up.

Anyone else the same? can't see any recent threads.

I have a seperate mp3 player but I'd like the usefulness of google music appeals to me.

No option to shop available, just sends me to the apps section of the play store. Presume this means I can't upload anything to the cloud with the current settings.

steve_r wrote: »
    Dunno if I'm the right thread but here goes.

On Meteor with an S3, current version 4.1.2

Got a "firmware update" this morning, now the Google music app has shown up.

Anyone else the same? can't see any recent threads.

I have a seperate mp3 player but I'd like the usefulness of google music appeals to me.

No option to shop available, just sends me to the apps section of the play store. Presume this means I can't upload anything to the cloud with the current settings.

Read the thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Is there a proxy/tunnel service without signup I can use to activate Google Music on my account?

Edit: I managed to get in with FoxyProxy and using a free proxy from hidemyass, then it asked for credit card
    Hmm, so you have to have the proxy on all the time? Or if I setup the credit card with US address, will be always available or will I get the unsupported country message?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Presumably you want to access the US Google play store to buy music?

Use a proxy (I used tunnelbear) to access your google wallet. Add a US address for your credit card and then see if you can make a purchase with the proxy still switched on.

Over the past few weeks - I have been able to access the US play store from my account even without a proxy. You'll just have to check if this works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Is there a proxy/tunnel service without signup I can use to activate Google Music on my account?

Edit: I managed to get in with FoxyProxy and using a free proxy from hidemyass, then it asked for credit card
    Hmm, so you have to have the proxy on all the time? Or if I setup the credit card with US address, will be always available or will I get the unsupported country message?
    Cheers.

Hi there,

Once you set up your Google Music account with your credit card, you will no longer need to use a U.S. proxy to access the Google Music services. When you get to the Google Music login page, simply login and you will not get the unsupported country message.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. If you set up your account using an English proxy, you will not have to provide a full address but rather just a postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

Just to confirm, you only need a proxy to access the Google Music store and buy songs.

You do not need a proxy to install Google's Music Manager and upload all of your songs to the cloud and use the app on your phone or the website on your computer.

user1842 wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you only need a proxy to access the Google Music store and buy songs.

You do not need a proxy to install Google's Music Manager and upload all of your songs to the cloud and use the app on your phone or the website on your computer.

You only need the proxy to set up your Google Music Account, once that is done you can do anything you like without the proxy. Because you have set up your account using an fake English/U.S. credit/debit card, it automatically thinks you are American/English.

One more time for clarity - The proxy is ONLY needed to set up the account. After that, its plain sailing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

user1842 wrote: »

You sure? IF I click on the download Google Music Manager it tells me
    The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

croo wrote: »
    You sure? IF I click on the download Google Music Manager it tells me

Interesting I don't get that error at all. It lets me download it. Must be because I originally setup it up years ago using a proxy (i think).

I have a Nexus 4 & 10. I wonder would that remove the restriction as Play Music is the only default music player shipped with the device. As the Nexus 7 is sold in Ireland maybe Google remove the IP restriction only for the upload and play sections of the site (not the store).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Could be that you setup originally with a proxy okay.
    I have a nexus 7 - I don't think the device matters.

I'm sure I read somewhere in this forums that, once installed, you only need the proxy to buy.

I was following instructions here...
    http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1229970

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

croo wrote: »
    Could be that you setup originally with a proxy okay.
    I have a nexus 7 - I don't think the device matters.

I'm sure I read somewhere in this forums that, once installed, you only need the proxy to buy.

I was following instructions here...
    http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1229970

This is true,

i set mine up with proxy. But dont buy anything so i dont need the proxy presently. access to the my google music in the cloud i can do from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Can you access a 2nd account on your phone for the Play Music app only?

i.e. I have my phone set up with my personal gmail account for everything but want to set up a shared account for uploading my music to so that my family can access it too.

• Advertisement

Can you access a 2nd account on your phone for the Play Music app only?

i.e. I have my phone set up with my personal gmail account for everything but want to set up a shared account for uploading my music to so that my family can access it too.

Yes this is possible. Set up your new google account and go to settings on your device. In the accounts section add your new Google account. Then go to the settings in the play music app and choose the new account in the settings. It will now sync music from the new account.

P.S If you buy music in the Play store, make sure you are signed in with the right Google account. This can be changed in the settings of the Play store too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I asked this in the other thread, maybe its more suited to here.
    So how does it work then, am i actually uploading all my tunes and storing the data, or am i just letting google know what i have and then them giving me access to their copy of the tune to stream. If i upload as a FLAC file, will i listen to it in the quality?

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

It stores your music in the quality you upload, the limit is 25k songs, there is no limit on the size of the files. I've uploaded some mp3 songs of full albums in 320kbps mp3 and they are counted as one song.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

From what I understand its scans the songs you are uploading. If it recognizes the song it will use a Google music copy of the song and it won't have to actually upload it. If it does not recognize the song it will manually upload it to your Google music library.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It didn't recognize any of about 8500 songs I uploaded.

JohnK wrote: »

Nor any in my 25GB I uploaded

JohnK wrote: »

My source - http://techland.time.com/2012/12/19/google-play-musics-scan-and-match-service-comes-stateside/

Thanks to Gran Hermano for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Weird, it failed on two songs and stalled on one which, out of 8500 isnt too bad I suppose but I want everything up there so I logged out & uninstalled to try and clear the stall as per the google help instructions. Now after reinstalling the manager its trying to upload 8000 of those same files again!? I understand it thinking it might need to upload the first time around but all these songs are already in my online library. I'm listening to some of them through the browser right now... wtf?! :confused:

and wonderful, its stalling on the same file at the same % mark :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

fredotf2 wrote: »
    Yes this is possible. Set up your new google account and go to settings on your device. In the accounts section add your new Google account. Then go to the settings in the play music app and choose the new account in the settings. It will now sync music from the new account.

P.S If you buy music in the Play store, make sure you are signed in with the right Google account. This can be changed in the settings of the Play store too.

Just wondering, based on this, is it possible to add my OH to my Play account so that she can access my music without reuploading it to her account. Both our music is saved in one folder on the PC, so no point duplicating the upload. Or would I need to set up a new account as suggested above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

I'm due an upgrade on my phone soon, next month to be precise. I was gonna stay Apple and go 5, mainly because I like my music and podcasts and like to have the option of iTunes / iPod. I'm not an Apple fanboy as such, but I am locked in.

Google Play has really caught my attention, the idea of storing all my music, about 4500 songs, in 1 place and having them all the time and available to you is very appealling.

Just a couple of questions tho, that might seem stupid.

1) so I have iTunes purchased music, some eh, borrowed music, and some CD's uploaded at different qualities. Will they all be allowed to be uploaded to this Google Play Music Manager?

2) Will my version always be uploaded is possible, such as different versions of the same song.

3) I had some trouble with moving iTunes songs before becuase, when I imported a CD into iTunes, I would import them all as track1, track2....etc before entering the names. Now I enter the names before importing so iTunes will always recognise them as "whatever song title" and "second song title" as opposed to track1 and track2. The problem is that iTunes reckons I have about 10 songs called track1, 10 as track2 etc in the actual computer files.

4) So there is really 2 ways you can access the songs on your phone/device? The streaming, and through a music-playing app? So you can use both the online streaming of all your songs, but also you can choose to have just 200 favourites in a playlist through an app?
    Would Google Play upload the songs as the songs titles I entered in later, or what they were imported as?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement