Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

What a fluke that was for Carter...

I have to agree with Hendry that Maguire has to throw caution to the wind now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, there's two back to ensure that there will be a mid-session interval... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes i do hope carter doesn't resort to dirty tricks in the final if ronnie is running away with it

wouldn't surprise me with ebdon behind the scenes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

M cebee wrote: »
    yes i do hope carter doesn't resort to dirty tricks in the final if ronnie is running away with it

I thought we only had to suffer bitterness in the soccer forum these days. Fair play to Ali. It's hard to see anyone beating Ronnie but I think if there is a chance of a close match over the next days I think Ali is better equipped.

I hate having BBC NI. No snooker this evening. Online it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah hopefully it will be close, the way Ronnies playing I fear a repeat of their 2008 final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Missed everything today. :(

Good chance for Stevens to take the first frame of this session. Badly needs it.

Great start for Stevens with a break of 116. 15-10 now. C'mon Matthew win another frame. :D

And O'Sullivan replies with a lovely break of 130. Only one frame needed now. One error on a long pot by Stevens with no safety element, left O'Sullivan with a sniff and he capitalised on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Jernal wrote: »
    Great start for Stevens with a break of 116. 15-10 now. C'mon Matthew win another frame. :D

i kinda liked ronnies clearance :):D;)

mewso wrote: »

I thought we only had to suffer bitterness in the soccer forum these days. Fair play to Ali. It's hard to see anyone beating Ronnie but I think if there is a chance of a close match over the next days I think Ali is better equipped.

I hate having BBC NI. No snooker this evening. Online it is.

no bother i'm not bitter
    just sayin —clean fight best man wins
    no funny business

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I expect Carter to knuckle down and attempt to out-safety him. Will be hard to do but I can imagine Ali will be a little more reluctant taking those long pots. Then again I could be wrong, I certainly hope I am:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

no bother i'm not bitter
    no funny business

What is unclean or dirty about Ali's play? The fact that you don't like it?

mewso wrote: »
    no bother i'm not bitter
    no funny business

What is unclean or dirty about Ali's play? The fact that you don't like it?

nothing so far
    hopefully that's the way it stays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

I think it would great for the game if Ronnie won, in fairness to him he's played the best snooker over the last 2 weeks by a long way, he simply is class. No one has put him under pressure or got near him and he's had a tough draw with Ebdon, Williams, Robertson and Stevens and he's made them all look pretty average.

I can't see this final being a close one, I reckon 18-10 could be on the cards.

I honestly don't think it would do anything for the game if Ali won, he hasn't played all that great. Maguire played awful against him!

anyway we shall wait and see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

So we have a final, and its the Rocket v the Captain.
    O'Sullivan has undoubtably played the best snooker of the championships so far and on route to his fourth final he's beaten 3 ex world champions and a two time runner up without really being in much trouble in each match.
    Carter meanwhile had his biggest test against tournament favourite Trump and from 12-9 down he won the last four to prevail 13-12.
    Again in his quater final he prevailed against Jamie Jones who is possibly a future champion here, in his semi final I felt from the start that Maguire was tailor made for him and Carter proved this by playing superb match play over the four sessions to win.

The final over four sessions I feel will all boil down to the first session, Carter needs to win this at least 5-3 to stand any chance of holding a lead going into the final day.
    O'Sullivan has been composed and professional throughout this tournament and no matter what Carter throws at him, including what his new found mentor Peter Ebdon teaches him I feel this is O'Sullivans final to lose.

My prediction O'Sullivan to win 18-10

On a final note, we hav'nt heard it in a while and I was quite surprised to hear O'Sullisvan mention it tonight but retirement seems to be on his mind again.
    After his last world championship win he toyed with the idea but now with Hendry retiring O'Sullivan may feel his time is up. I for one hope not as I feel he has so much more to offer the game especially the way he has behaved both on and off the tables this season. Here's some quotes from his post semi final interview...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17972505?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Im a huge Ronnie fan but Id like Carter to win as a fellow sufferer of Crohn's. Its far from easy being a professional snooker player with the disease so I think he would deserve the win despite not playing the best snooker over the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

iMuse wrote: »
    Im a huge Ronnie fan but Id like Carter to win as a fellow sufferer of Crohn's. Its far from easy being a professional snooker player with the disease so I think he would deserve the win despite not playing the best snooker over the tournament.

"I think he would deserve the win despite not playing the best snooker over the tournament"

so the better player deserves to lose?! that won't help the game of snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ali has certainly made a good account of himself, but I'll be up for O'Sullivan. I guess we're in for a fairy tale ending either way - Ronnie making a grand return (and farewell?), proving his class and brilliance once again after a poor couple of seasons, or Ali Carter overcoming a very debilitating illness and finding his form and love for the game once more. To be honest, both of them are very worthy of the title considering what they've overcome to get to this stage. As zack said, the first session here could be very telling: Ali needs to maintain that steely gaze that saw him through the semifinal if he's to give O'Sullivan a rattling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Been saving this just for the final.
    oNk9F.jpg

Very cautious approach by Ali so far. Can't blame him you can't let O'Sullivan build up momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Can anyone explain to me what's going on with this Carter and Ebdon thing? Seriously, is Ebdon acting like a guru or something? The whole thing seems a bit strange to me. Looking forward to a great final, it's Ronnie all the way for me!

1-0 O'Sullivan and Carter i feel really needs to win this session at least 5-3 to give himself any chance.

Some news off the table and Ken Doherty was elected onto the WPBSA board today. He along with fellow board member will advise on a number of playing matters.

2-0 and although it's early stages this final may just begin to run away from Carter. He needs to tighten the safety and get a frame on the board quickly.

What a fantastic break that was by O'Sullivan. With the position of the balls I didn't think he could do that in a single visit. Colour me impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

pconn062 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what's going on with this Carter and Ebdon thing? Seriously, is Ebdon acting like a guru or something? The whole thing seems a bit strange to me. Looking forward to a great final, it's Ronnie all the way for me!
    Well Peter Ebdon's nickname 'The Force' should tell you all - he's acting like a kind of Yoda character for Carter, keeping his temper in check, advising him on his diet, and working on the tactical element of the game.

Stop the press: Ronnie just missed a pot! That'll damage his 100% pot success statistic.

Big chance for Carter here, must score heavy here

Great break from Carter and a superb reply, fantastic standard so far from both players

Excellent reply from Carter. Unlucky on that black would have loved him to make the century.

There's going to be some while before the mid session interval. Nasty ball positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

This is excruciating.

Advertisement