Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When has the delivery of a road ever done FF some good though since 1997? Granted you do have your Healy-Rae fanboys, but I don't think the provision of the SRR flyovers will do much for FF in Cork. The again, perhaps I'm crediting the electorate with more wisdom than it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Furet wrote: »
    When has the delivery of a road ever done FF some good though since 1997? Granted you do have your Healy-Rae fanboys, but I don't think the provision of the SRR flyovers will do much for FF in Cork. The again, perhaps I'm crediting the electorate with more wisdom than it has.

As a Cork South Central native, I can tell you that opening these would certainly give FF a boost.

I think there's three main topics in Cork South Central:
    - Cork airport debt
    - Traffic / SRR
    - Hospital services

Cork is just as parochial as any other constituency. The election fliers say it all:
    'representing the people of Cork at local and national level' ... 'instrumental in new library for x' ... 'secured funding at national level for local swimming pool in y' ... 'fighting closing of services at hospital in z'.

Knock 15 mins off a couple of thousand commutes and you might see FF drag their two CSC sitting TDs into the next Dail. Expect some sort of bull**** 'firm commitment' on Dunkettle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Shut up Furet. We dont want them to know that...

Fianna Fail will definitely be reelected in Cork if this flyover is built

/Sniggers
    MrDerp wrote: »
    Knock 15 mins off a couple of thousand commutes and you might see FF drag their two CSC sitting TDs into the next Dail. Expect some sort of bull**** 'firm commitment' on Dunkettle too.

Fianna Fail did so well infact that they removed the commuting time entirely for some ;)
    They would have to do alot more than 15mins to be reelected here. Mind you who knows what will have happened by 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Don't you recall the M3 effect on the good people of Meath? the great commuting population of that area voted en masse for FF in 2007 (increasing their % of the FPV and seats from 2002) after FF made an election issue of poor commuting times and highlighted how the M3 was the solution to all their woes.

Much like the natives of Dublin South Central, it once again shows that political gombeenism & parish pump politics aren't unique to rural constituencies.

Don't you recall the M3 effect on the good people of Meath? the great commuting population of that area voted en masse for FF in 2007 (increasing their % of the FPV and seats from 2002) after FF made an election issue of poor commuting times and highlighted how the M3 was the solution to all their woes.

Much like the natives of Dublin South Central, it once again shows that political gombeenism & parish pump politics aren't unique to rural constituencies.

Fair enough... was that down to the M3 alone though? Anyway, this is maybe suited to a separate thread. Don't want to drag this any further off-topic.

• Advertisement

Some diagrams of what is proposed for the flyovers:
    Overall:
    mainline.jpg

Bandon Flyover:
    bandon.jpg
    bandon2.jpg
    n25bandondrawings.jpg

Sarsfield Flyover:
    sarsfield.jpg
    Top = to Wilton
    sarsfield2.jpg
    sarsfieldroundabout.jpg

The attached brochure gives some indication of what will be involved. The Kinsale Road Roundabout was re-done in 2006. At 2.4km it cost €50 million. Prices should be lower now in 2011, if the Bandon and Sarsfield flyovers go ahead.

Jaysus i remember those times during construction. The Friday afternoons when the N25 was down to one lane. Traffic was MENTAL!!!!!!!

Thinking back i cant remember what the Kinsale road roundabout looked like before the flyover. All i can remember is the construction phase.

Latest update is attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

any update here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

There's a full-on traffic census going on at the moment from Little Island to Bishopstown and from Glanmire to the top of Carr's Hill. There are those rubber strips across the roads, counters on roundabouts and even cameras at various junctions. I presume this means there might actually be a move on this in the not-too-distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

DerMutt wrote: »
    There's a full-on traffic census going on at the moment from Little Island to Bishopstown and from Glanmire to the top of Carr's Hill. There are those rubber strips across the roads, counters on roundabouts and even cameras at various junctions. I presume this means there might actually be a move on this in the not-too-distant future.

I notice they have the same strips on the Ballincollig bypass and on the N25 near Little Island also. The only place they seem to have them on the South Ring is at Douglas strangely enough. You would think they'd have them near the 2 round-abouts too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You lads talk about infrastructure deliveries in exchange for votes as if Ireland was the only country where that happened. Yis need to get out more! It's basic democracy; you elect an official in order to get them to do something big for you.

If a politician promises infrastructure for a city and gets elected as a result, democracy has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

spacetweek wrote: »
    You lads talk about infrastructure deliveries in exchange for votes as if Ireland was the only country where that happened. Yis need to get out more! It's basic democracy; you elect an official in order to get them to do something big for you.

If a politician promises infrastructure for a city and gets elected as a result, democracy has worked.

I disagree completely. We should be electing representatives at a national level to legislate and work for the good of the country as a whole, not as some sort of handy fund raiser for every road, train station, hospital, school and sports club that happens to be within a couple of miles of his/her home. It's why I think we need to scrap our current constituency based system in favour of a list based party system. That way legislators are not beholden to self-centered demands.

That's the problem with Ireland today. We want every single service on our doorstep and yet don't want to consider paying the high taxes that this would necessitate. Its part of the reason we're over spending by around €20 billion a year.

Of course we also need properly funded, powerful local government as well to compensate. However to keep some level of control this should be on a regional basis as opposed to the chaotic country/town basis that exists at the moment.

CORK South Central TD Michael McGrath has warmly welcomed today’s confirmation from the Department of Transport that the funding is in place for the Bandon road and Sarsfield road flyovers to proceed in 2011.

The estimated value of the contract is in the region of €160 million.

Deputy McGrath has been lobbying the NRA and Minister Noel Dempsey for some time to ensure the construction of the two interchanges goes ahead.

The National Recovery Plan confirms the capital budget for the Department of Transport for the 2011-2014 period and the Department has now listed the interchanges on the Southern Ring Road network as going ahead in 2011.

“I am delighted we have confirmation now that the funding is in place for the two interchanges to proceed in 2011. This is a tremendous and timely boost for Cork. The NRA went to tender for the construction of the two interchanges last April and will now be in a position to appoint a contractor to enable work to commence.

“These two interchanges will also make daily life so much easier for thousands of Cork commuters and will provide a real economic boost to the region. Once these new interchanges are completed, the South Ring Road will be a critical piece of infrastructure and will be an important asset for the region. I have no doubt but that the investment in these interchanges will pay a rich economic dividend for Cork in the years ahead.

“I understand that the construction phase will take approx. 18 months to complete and I am now looking forward to seeing progress on the ground in the near future,” concluded Deputy McGrath.
    http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=6500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

€160 million seems steep for this. But anyway, get it built.

Dunkettle will be bumped to the very top of the priority list after the bottleneck it will be after this is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

These two being done will really make Dunkettle stick out like a sore thumb.

Dunkettle really has jumped the list lately. It's these smaller, more moderate schemes with big impacts that we should most certainly be targetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Department has now listed the interchanges on the Southern Ring Road network as going ahead in 2011

Where has this published by the Dept?

I'm not saying I don't trust Deputy McGrath, but he's a politician, and there's an election coming up. It's entire possible that he's pulling a Frank Fahey, and claiming credit for something that may not even be happening, and probably didn't have anything to do with if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Where has this published by the Dept?
    dept of transport pressrelease on the 4 year plan 2 days ago
    http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=258
    What road projects will proceed in 2011?
    NRA will go ahead with the planned 2011 starts and have adequate money for rehabilitation and minor works.
    Starts include
    Belturbet /
    N5 Longford/
    Tralee bypasses
    and the Cork Southern Ring Road junctions.

Two PPP projects will also start in 2011 - the M17/18 Gort – Tuam PPP and M11/Newlands Cross PPP bypasses.
    Purchase of land for service areas and expressions of interest from developers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Thanks Munchkin.

• Advertisement

With these two flyovers in place, am I right in saying that technically the only things that would prevent the SRR from being declared a motorway would be the Douglas Viaduct and the bottleneck at Dunkettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

With these two flyovers in place, am I right in saying that technically the only things that would prevent the SRR from being declared a motorway would be the Douglas Viaduct and the bottleneck at Dunkettle?
    whats wrong with the douglas viaduct?
    is it the lack of hard shoulder?

Surely that wouldnt prevent a reclassification.

Even the Dunkettle roundabout could be conviently overlooked if you so wished.
    Its the start of the M8 on one exit, and start of the M25 (tunnel) on another exit.
    The roundabout itsself could be simply considered a non freeflow link between the 2 ?

EDIT (its a roundabout LINKING 2 motorways rather than a roundabout ON a motorway!)

I dont really see any benefits of reclassifying it tbh. The speed limit wont go up as 120 would be too fast for such a busy road and lets face it Motorway status wont get rid of the tractors either. I dont know how many times iv seen tractors on the M8.

Am I the only one who doesnt see a benefit of having the SRR motorway?

Hogzy wrote: »
    I dont really see any benefits of reclassifying it tbh. The speed limit wont go up as 120 would be too fast for such a busy road and lets face it Motorway status wont get rid of the tractors either. I dont know how many times iv seen tractors on the M8.

Am I the only one who doesnt see a benefit of having the SRR motorway?

I wouldn't automatically favour reclassifying it either, but one definite advantage of doing so would be that it would become much harder for developers to build another Mahon Point-type complex close to it.

I wouldn't automatically favour reclassifying it either, but one definite advantage of doing so would be that it would become much harder for developers to build another Mahon Point-type complex close to it.

I dont think we will be seeing any of that sort of thing for another decade or so anyway.

Mahon point could be fixed so bloody easily by putting a free flow junction over towards the Cinema. There is a load of free space there that could be harnessed not only for a new junction but also for more parking.

whats wrong with the douglas viaduct?
    is it the lack of hard shoulder?

Surely that wouldnt prevent a reclassification.

Yes, I was thinking of the lack of a hard shoulder, but also the exit for Douglas at that viaduct as one heads towards Dunkettle.
    Even the Dunkettle roundabout could be conviently overlooked if you so wished.
    Its the start of the M8 on one exit, and start of the M25 (tunnel) on another exit.
    The roundabout itsself could be simply considered a non freeflow link between the 2 ?

I was thinking of the frequent 3km+ tailbacks you get in the evening as being a reason not to reclassify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well the tunnel is a motorway as non motorised traffic is prohibited from using it... so further west could be possible to reclassify.

There are already sections of purpose built motorway with no hard shoulders here.

and as for 3km tailbacks, there were 30km tailbacks on the M50 back there a while ago....

I'd reclassify the N27 also and the N22 - the N27 from the city out to the dump and the N22 on the 120kmh section.

I'd reclassify the N27 also and the N22 - the N27 from the city out to the dump and the N22 on the 120kmh section.

Fair enough the N22 but the N27 doesnt have one grad separated junction. That will NEVER EVER...EVER become a motorway. It doesnt need to be a motorway anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hogzy wrote: »
    Fair enough the N22 but the N27 doesnt have one grad separated junction. That will NEVER EVER...EVER become a motorway. It doesnt need to be a motorway anyways

Apart from the gsj with the back Douglas road?

Is it wise to allow pedestrians walk along a dual carriageway like this?
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.885313,-8.463871&spn=0.007404,0.029783&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.886125,-8.463764&panoid=jqvpTtPiNlQmTQLV14tD_A&cbp=12,356.49,,0,4.35

• Advertisement

Apart from the gsj with the back Douglas road?

Is it wise to allow pedestrians walk along a dual carriageway like this?
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.885313,-8.463871&spn=0.007404,0.029783&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.886125,-8.463764&panoid=jqvpTtPiNlQmTQLV14tD_A&cbp=12,356.49,,0,4.35

All you have to do is stick up a sign saying no pedestrians. Its much cheaper than redesignating and rebuilding every junction. Boreenmanor road would have to be done. The service station would have to be relocated as well as the business across the road. The back Douglas road interchanges are not sufficently grade separated. Also the fact that there is no hard shoulder would make it impossible. All the council havr to do is draft a bylaw to prevent pedestrians using the road.
    Much easier

Advertisement