Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is VHI for the very elderly a waste?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

The older they are, the more likely it is that they will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Not always. My mother is in her early 80s. Was diagnosed with lung cancer last summer unfortunately. VHI has been of very little use to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Not always. My mother is in her early 80s. Was diagnosed with lung cancer last summer unfortunately. VHI has been of very little use to her.

Sorry to hear that but the exception doesn't prove the rule. There are lots of situations where the VHI makes no difference - emergency treatment via A&E or instances where medical science can offer no solution.

An awful lot of older people need remedial work on hips, knees etc. and would be on a waiting list for years in the public system waiting for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I know, but the local private hospital doesn't accept emergency admissions, so we end up in a&e if there's a crisis anywa! At a certain age, hips and knees aren't going to be viable to mend surgically...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know, but the local private hospital doesn't accept emergency admissions, so we end up in a&e if there's a crisis anywa! At a certain age, hips and knees aren't going to be viable to mend surgically...

The point you're making is the same as saying that if you live in a house for 30 years and it doesn't go on fire, it means that you shouldn't have bothered paying for fire insurance.

You can't predict what's going to happen when you get very old, you may or may not benefit from VHI or similar insurance. All we're saying is that typically older people draw more from health insurance than they pay in as premiums which means that as an economic proposition, it makes sense to maintain cover as you get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

I am very sorry to hear that. However Lung Cancer has a very poor outlook no matter your age, income or insurance level. Heart problems, chest problems and the other common problems of the elder patients are made a lot more comfortable (and surviveable) with private insurance.

• Site Banned Posts: 30 Jack the Box

Mr E wrote: »
    A relative of mine just had heart surgery that would have cost over 30k without health insurance.

You may begrudge it while you're paying it (while healthy), but when you need it, you'll be thankful that it's there.

Surely they wouldn't have had to pay 30k out of their pockets ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My grandparents are in their late 70s and thankfully remarkably healthy. If there is one thing that they can have its their health insurance. They have a top of the range policy costing €2k each per year which may be a bit OTT for some but when you get older, declining health is almost inevitable and is the time of life when you most need your health insurance.
    I do feel for that age group living on limited incomes and trying to make things stretch but I think as you said if the family can help out it would work well

Advertisement