Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 47: Cabbage Parcels

• 28-11-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

This is something the crazy Ukranian makes from time to time and I love it.
    I need to spice it up a little with chilli but I'll leave that up to yourselves. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

300g Beef mince
    300g Pork mince
    1 Head of green cabbage with big leaves
    2 beaten eggs
    1 Litre of Tomato Juice
    1 carrot-Grated
    2 onions-Diced finely
    2 Cloves of garlic finely chopped
    1 Cup of cooked white rice
    A few tbs of Worcestershire sauce
    Cream/Sour cream
    Butter
    Salt, Pepper. Season to your own taste
    Optional-1 tsp of chilli powder
    2 chopped red chilli

Method:

1. Fry the carrot, onion and garlic in a little oil for a few minute over a medium heat until softened then set aside.

2. Add the 80% of the above mix to the pork and beef mince, cooked rice and mix well. Season with salt to your own taste and add chilli/chilli powder if you want. Add the beaten eggs and mix until combined.

3. Take about 10 big leaves from the cabbage, remove the very end of the stalk then boil in a large saucepan for 3-5 minutes, depending on the cabbage.. This softens them a little for later. Leave to cool.

4. Divide the meat mix into 10 balls (size like in the pictures)-and place into the centre of the cabbage leaves. Roll up the parcels as best you can-tucking in the sides. Use a toothpick to hold together if you need to. There may be meat left over depending on the size of the leaves-use for more parcels or burgers.

5. Now fry the parcels in a little butter on a medium high heat for a 5 minutes each side until they brown slightly and put to into the large saucepan.

6. In a deep frying pan/wok add 0.5 Litre of tomato juice, a tbs of butter, the Worcestershire sauce and a few tbs of cream or sour cream. Mix in the remaining 20% of number 1 above. Season to your own taste with salt/pepper/tabasco. Once simmering pour over the parcels in the saucepan. If not totally covered add more tomato juice until they are. A cm or two short won’t make any difference.

7. Cover,bring to a boil then simmer for 30-45 mins. If you like a crunchy cabbage 30 mins is enough.

8. Serve with sour cream.

EvHQ5b1l.jpg

tuOor8gl.jpg

U3TxqzTl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Krautwickel - yumm! Crazy Germans like them too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love these puppies. They're called Töltött Káposzta in Hungary.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Sorry about the pics-they looked fine on the phone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Do you boil the cabbage leaves in stock or just water? Looks like you have them in stock in the photo.

It actually was ham stock in this case as I had some left over!
    Normally we use water/salted water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Making these now, one stupid question, I add raw or cooked mince to the cabbage parcels?

I'm guessing raw?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Making these now, one stupid question, I add raw or cooked mince to the cabbage parcels?

I'm guessing raw?

Hi Oranage2,

Yes the mince is raw. I used to question this as well! When cooking in the sauce try to cover it if you can.

Normally we use the 400g packs of mince but always seem to have a bit left over so I reduced to 300g for this. Hope they turn out ok.

Makood wrote: »
    Hi Oranage2,

Yes the mince is raw. I used to question this as well! When cooking in the sauce try to cover it if you can.

Normally we use the 400g packs of mince but always seem to have a bit left over so I reduced to 300g for this. Hope they turn out ok.
    Makood wrote: »
    Hi Oranage2,

Yeah finished it there, very good, very simple, I'll upload a photo when I have wifi.

I only used pork mince since it was all I had, didn't put any chilli as I had none but that would have taken it to Another level.

It's like a tomato soup with cabbage and a steamed hamburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love these. They're called Balandeliai in Lithuania.

1zcjq83.jpg

My crazy Ukrainian friend called it golubcy, I will take a point off for presentation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Thats dinner sorted! And savoy cabbages are still in thr aldi/lidl super 6 I think. Just to clarify-the meat isn't cooked until its in the cabbage parcel? Also I'd prefer to use one type of mince so which would taste best? Pork or beef?

gg2 wrote: »
    Thats dinner sorted! And savoy cabbages are still in thr aldi/lidl super 6 I think. Just to clarify-the meat isn't cooked until its in the cabbage parcel? Also I'd prefer to use one type of mince so which would taste best? Pork or beef?

Hi gg2,
    Yes the meat goes in raw and will cook in the tomato sauce.
    If only using one type of meat my preference would be beef. Up to you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I once saw the Hairy Bikers do similar to this recipe in one of their episodes, so I've been wanting to try it. I made this evening - finally. 3rd time to buy a cabbage specifically :o

Feedback - loved the idea and the sauce. I used passata watered down for the sauce, which was great. I need to work on the seasoning in the meatballs though - I had added 1 chili, 2 tbs Worcester sauce, salt, pepper to the onions & garlic etc and they were still a bit bland.

This is one of the reasons why I generally feel disappointed with homemade burgers & meatballs, I never seem to get the flavour strong enough :(

I shall try again, though, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

juke wrote: »
    I once saw the Hairy Bikers do similar to this recipe in one of their episodes, so I've been wanting to try it. I made this evening - finally. 3rd time to buy a cabbage specifically :o

Feedback - loved the idea and the sauce. I used passata watered down for the sauce, which was great. I need to work on the seasoning in the meatballs though - I had added 1 chili, 2 tbs Worcester sauce, salt, pepper to the onions & garlic etc and they were still a bit bland.

This is one of the reasons why I generally feel disappointed with homemade burgers & meatballs, I never seem to get the flavour strong enough :(

I shall try again, though, thanks OP!

You should try adding anchovies to your burgers/meatballs a la Malari's Cooking Club Meatballs. Adds a lovely depth of flavour to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You should try adding anchovies to your burgers/meatballs a la Malari's Cooking Club Meatballs. Adds a lovely depth of flavour to them.

Interesting..... would never have considered anchovies. Excited to try now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

made these yesterday and turned out very nice, have alot of the meat/rice left over. any suggestions on what to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh, I know these as galumpki. (Poland). I make a vegetarian version, stuffed with a mix of lentils, garlic, buckwheat, quinoa, cumin, black pepper and chillies. Just put everything in there. Everything. They're a little work but they're lovely.

ttq70rA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had these for dinner on Friday and again for lunch yesterday!

I made them with two different vegetarian minces.

These will definitely be made again!

CC-2014-47-Cabbage-Parcels.jpg

It only dawned on me after that I forgot the sour cream, which I bought especially for the recipe! :eek:

Advertisement