Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€60 games how did that happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

TheDoc wrote: »
    HMV do new releases for €45 on release day

Not anymore, Assassin's Creed 3, Fifa 12, Battlefield 3 and Arkham City were all €49.99 on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Rael wrote: »

Not anymore, Assassin's Creed 3, Fifa 12, Battlefield 3 and Arkham City were all €49.99 on release.
    Still cheaper than Gamestop it's my local shop and I get on really well with the staff there but there kind of a rip off looks like il have to trek into town for my games pity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Gotham wrote: »
    I don't pay more than €30 for games, if they are exceptional, I will make an exception (there havent been any exceptional games in the past 7-8 years).

...out of interest, what was the last exceptional game you bought?

I believe the RRP for console games is like 69.99 and 49.99 for PC. But most retailers will sell far below that due to competition, they must be losing a lot of sales due to online retailers too, which can seriously undercut them.

Just look at the standard price for a new release on steam/origin!

If anything its probably a golden time now due to the amount of choices on offer. But we have already lost Game/Virgin, HMV are also in trouble so its only a matter of time before they go too, even if its just from Ireland...
    So who will be left then? Gamespot and the token selection places like Tesco have?
    Digital Distribution only is the future and will mean we could see a lot more "RRP" prices staying very static :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

why wouldn't you pay 60 euro for an open world game like gtaIV?

even for a bog standard 10 hour fps that's six euro an hour. even less if you're going to replay it or plan to play it online. that's quite good value

Why do people equate value for money in terms of the amount of time spent playing it? GTAIV might well have been 20 or 30 hours long but only around 3 of those hours were enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

snausages wrote: »
    Why do people equate value for money in terms of the amount of time spent playing it? GTAIV might well have been 20 or 30 hours long but only around 3 of those hours were enjoyable.

Indeed, 30 hours of padding does not a good game make, I'm not a player who goes after all 100 of something or collects every bit of random stuff thrown into the game to pad it out, I'd rather a solid 8-10 hour game with great moments than a sparse longer campaign with unecessary house decoarting or samey side quests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

that se developers decided to charge for PC titles same money as for console versions. That's just out right greedy **** thing.

Why should we get them any cheaper then consoles though? I also used to think this too, but not for any proper reasons. I just liked cheaper games. It's not like it's easier to design the game on the pc, or to port it over. It's still a lot of work, so i can't really see why we should just expect to play less.

Saying that, i've not paid more than €50 (bar SE) for a game in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Kiith wrote: »
    Why should we get them any cheaper then consoles though? I also used to think this too, but not for any proper reasons. I just liked cheaper games. It's not like it's easier to design the game on the pc, or to port it over. It's still a lot of work, so i can't really see why we should just expect to play less.

Saying that, i've not paid more than €50 (bar SE) for a game in a long time.

Because MS or Sony don't get a cut, that's why PC game should always be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    ...out of interest, what was the last exceptional game you bought?

Maybe the number I stated is a bit high, but I think a lot of stuff out today is total trash.

Examples of some "exceptional" games (IMO):
    Games like Baldurs Gate 2, FF7/FF9/FF10, XCOM, Deus Ex, VTMB, Okami, Eve online, WoW, HL1/HL2.
    I'm not saying I like all of those games but they are good examples.
    I don't think Halo is exceptional, there's nothing special about it. The last good Call of Duty was CoD 2. Skyrim is not really comparable to Morrowind, and I personally favor Tes4. EA/Bioware games are badly written and buggy, albeit DA:O was good.

Recent exceptional games might be Journey (a budget game anyway), Dota 2 (Which is essentially free) and the Orange Box which is just inside the time range I estimated. Maybe Starcraft 2 aswell.

Im obviously forgetting some, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Law of supply and demand.. if there are people out there willing to pay €60 then thats what its worth to the market..

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not like it's easier to design the game on the pc, or to port it over.

PC games ARE easier to make, you don't have difficult architecture and hardware restrictions. Additionally there is no TRC to be checked and no additional fees for releasing it on the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

paid almost €112 for Halo4 limited edition. Missed the deadline for pre order and had to get from seller in UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

TheDoc wrote: »
    HMV do new releases for €45 on release day

I havnt gone anywhere for a game in over a year (bar buying from Steam or Blizzard)

HMV on henry st got rid of its pc section. I don't know if Grafton st still have one. I guess it will be steam, amazon or key sellers for me.

lukesmom wrote: »
    paid almost €112 for Halo4 limited edition. Missed the deadline for pre order and had to get from seller in UK

And this is why games are so expensive. €112 for a game and some cheap junk from China. It still sells out.

HMV on henry st got rid of its pc section. I don't know if Grafton st still have one. I guess it will be steam, amazon or key sellers for me.

I don't really like gamestop but gamestop.ie can be really cheap for pre ordered pc games.

Retailers like that don't deserve my money. It's the exact reason GAME crashed so hard. The "too much piracy" angle is total bull**** and it's obvious to anyone paying attention to the industry.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

My 2 cents worth:

4 main reasons are:

1) This one may sound laughable - it's not a price increase as such - more of a decrease in discount being offered here in Ireland. For the most part the RRP's haven't changed that much at all. Fifa 13, Halo 4, Black OPs 2 are looking at €69.99 and the distribution chain / retailer cost prices are distributed accordingly. Halo 3, Halo Reach, Fifa 12, Modern Warfare 3 etc all had the same RRP. What has changed is the level of discounting by retailers. There does seem to be a shift away from loss leading / heavy discounting seen in recent years by most retailers (HMV are an exception but even they are raising prices due to the following ..)

2) The value of the pre owned market has changed. Previously retailers were cutting pricing on the new games to encourage trade ins with the logic being you could lose on the new games but profit more on pre owned. The likes of online passes etc have made the pre owned market less attractive for the customer - maybe attractive isn't the word to use but it does mean for the most part that people are unwilling to pay as much for a pre owned title they can't play online without making an additional purchase. So retailer margins are coming down on pre owned which has lead to less of a price cut on new games. (And for that matter a drop in trade in values offered which is a double whammy for the customer)

3) VAT increase - it's only a small % but it does increase pressure on the price to jump up that extra €5.00 when setting a retail price point -especially if you are operating on a 3 or 4% margin in the first place.

4) Euro falling against sterling. Most games here in Ireland are supplied via the UK in sterling. The sterling price remains constant but the cost price has steadily risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »

I'm curious as to why you think it should automatically be lower just because it's on a handheld, especially now on the 3DS and Vita? From what I've read, Revelations not only looks and plays damn well but lasts about ten hours (the same as a console game) and as a result also had a fairly hefty budget and team size so it makes sense that it's more expensive. Of course, conversely, I think it should hold through that the cheaper, smaller budget games be priced accordingly but that doesn't seem to happen either. :(

This argument getting very old. In the end of the day it is a HANDHELD GAME. Handheld consoles are part time gaming devices. if a person gets a set amount of money, so will he buy a full time console release or part time?
    PS vita started to make pretty damn good versions of handheld games, which are closer then ever to console games, in fairness prices on a lot of games on PSN were very damn reasonable lately.
    I dont care how much money developers spent on game, if they spend so much money on development and then charge as much as full console game and then cant even cover the development costs, then they are **** developers and **** at selling their product. Its a cruel world, economy war. make a good product, price it right and you will be rolling in money. I am really starting to get sick of hearing how hard developers work and how unfair world is to them.
    I havent bough a single handheld game in ages. i walked in to the shop today and 2 handheld games costed 45eu each. so it would be 90eu for games on a console i play a little bit, not a full time like PC ( or xbox, ps3 in other people case ). If they would have been prices 25-30eu each i would have bought them today and developer would have gotten money for it. Now they wont see a sale from me, no money. they will moan and bitch that handheld market is dead and that evil iOS stole their money.
    Reasonably placed price tag will bring you more money, then stupid price tag and excuse: i jaysus i worked 8hours per day 5 days per week to make this game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This argument getting very old. In the end of the day it is a HANDHELD GAME. Handheld consoles are part time gaming devices. if a person gets a set amount of money, so will he buy a full time console release or part time?

I know plenty of people who use their handhelds much more than their home consoles or PC - a few regular users of these forums, in fact.

Is Persona 4: The Golden not worth 40 euro? Easily offers 100 hours of gameplay, with tonnes of worthy refinements. Same goes for any number of handheld releases. Or the beautifully crafted puzzle games that offer almost limitless play. Or a game like Kid Icarus that offers dozens of hours of play with stunningly high production values.

Yeah, handheld gaming requires a different type of design, but I've played many, many great handheld games that can easily compete with their 'full-time' peers, and in fact oftentimes surpass them (Resi 6 vs. Resi Revelations?). Yep, it's a shame first party 3DS games and the like don't tend to decrease in value, but TBH the quality often completely justifies them. And, again, plenty of smaller companies price their products competitively on PSN and the like, not to mention the fact you can get most 3rd party 3DS releases at reduced prices before too long.

A game's worth has to be valued individually. Some PC games aren't worth full price. Some handheld games aren't worth full price. Some console games aren't worth full price. But with great games oftentimes it's entirely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know some males who pee sitting down, but that does not mean that majority males do that.

I will admit that quality of some handheld games is quite amazing lately. I payed 39.99eu for MK on vita and I was very happy with my purchase. 29.99eu for mgs 2 and snake eater? Very fair.
    I was told most wanted is very very close to ps3 version on vita too. So in a way price tag is fair.
    Though I'm the end of the day, I won't pay 40-50eu for a handheld game, which I spend very little time. I am pretty sure I am not alone.
    Yes there are some gamers who spend majority of time playing handheld, but that is not a big part of gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Growing up and seeing the adverts in game mags I used to think that only the richest of kings or spoilt little shìts could afford the insane €150+ prices for Neo Geo carts :pac:

If anything, games are relatively cheap compared to only a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes there are some gamers who spend majority of time playing handheld, but that is not a big part of gamers.

Given the genuinely staggering sales of both handheld hardware and software, I don't think that's true. They may not be the quote gamers unquote who gather on forums on the like, but handheld gaming sales tower over even some of the most high-profile AAA titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wont pay more than 50 for for most games, ill go to 55 if its something special, but 60 is ridiculous

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I haven't paid more than 40 euro for a game since BF2s Complete Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Steam sales ftw. The last game I paid more than 30 quid for was skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Went into town to buy Halo 4 today. €59.99 in Gamestop, right next door in HMV it's €44.99. Absolute lunacy that anyone would go into GS and buy that! If I hadn't seen the sign they had put outside it I would've probably just paid the 60 in GS, gone outside to see that it was cheaper, and gone right back in to return it, which I'd reckon more than a few people have!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

PS vita started to make pretty damn good versions of handheld games, which are closer then ever to console games, in fairness prices on a lot of games on PSN were very damn reasonable lately.
    Which brings me back to my original question, if they're so close to consoles games then why should they be cheaper just because they're on a handheld? Saying it's not a device you or someone else plays much is completely irrelevant as in that case, as a full blown AAA handheld game which is close to console quality simply isn't a game you should be looking at.
    I dont care how much money developers spent on game, if they spend so much money on development and then charge as much as full console game and then cant even cover the development costs, then they are **** developers and **** at selling their product. Its a cruel world, economy war. make a good product, price it right and you will be rolling in money. I am really starting to get sick of hearing how hard developers work and how unfair world is to them.
    No one is saying it's unfair in the slightest. What Capcom said was that they created a game which was larger in scale than anything else on the handheld and it required a large team to create. You pointed out that such games are close to their console equivalents so, by that logic, they're pricing it at such a level for the very same reasons that console games themselves are.
    I havent bough a single handheld game in ages. i walked in to the shop today and 2 handheld games costed 45eu each. so it would be 90eu for games on a console i play a little bit, not a full time like PC ( or xbox, ps3 in other people case ).
    What were the games you saw? Were they similar in scale and quality to Resident Evil Revelations?
    If they would have been prices 25-30eu each i would have bought them today and developer would have gotten money for it. Now they wont see a sale from me, no money. they will moan and bitch that handheld market is dead and that evil iOS stole their money.
    The exact same argument could be levelled at current PC or console games though. In fact, on many occasions it has and the debate over whether games would sell more if they were cheaper continues. What I think we're beginning to see though is the handhelds attempt to differentiate themselves from the iOS-style games by offering a more console like experience which players can become invested in moreso than the pick up and play nature of mobile games. It's a fairly risky move though since, as you've pointed out, creating games of this scale cost a lot more so they need to charge prices which many handheld fans are not used to.

So yea, I'm not sure what you're really saying, do you want AAA console quality games on handheld devices but for cheaper prices just because they're on handhelds? Or are you saying that more games should be smaller in scale because they're on handhelds and so can be priced more cheaply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

one of the reasons I moved to PC after being an avid console gamer since the nes, I would not pay over €20 for most games and €35 for a AAA title. Last decent console game I bought was Catherine which was €45 for months but I held out until it reached that magic €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Gamestop is a ripoff; I don't buy many games - don't have the time to play them all, but recently got F1 2012 for 47.99 in HMV. Still, it was 44.99 until a few months ago and, more ridiculously, you see used games priced at the likes of 39.99...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The other thing is to pretty much avoid Gamestop. Went to buy Halo 4 yesterday morning and it was €59.99 in there compared to €44.99 in HMV.

• Advertisement

Don't think I've ever paid more than 40 euro for a game, Kane and Lynch would be the exception and while I enjoyed the game I didn't get 60 euros worth of enjoyment out of it.

People complaining about the cost of new games should learn to be a little patient. Most new releases in GS are way over priced, actually scratch that pretty much every game in there is way over priced and their second hand prices are ridiculous. Anyone who would pay 40-50 euro for a second hand game needs their head examined, especially when you consider that GS most likely payed 20 euro for that game.

HMV and Smyths are fare more competitive and offer value for money. Most you'll pay for a new release in HMV is 45 euro. The price can fluctuate over time, and it may be 50 euro during week two but give it a couple of weeks and it'll be either 27.99 or 34.99. If you can hold out another few weeks then it'll be 17.99. All the while it will remain at 50 or 60 euro in GS. Atm Smyths have Resident Evil 6 for 30 euro new and 25 second hand, HMV have it new for 35. GS are still charging full price, really is a disgrace that you can buy the game new for 10-15 euro less than a second hand copy in GS.

I was tempted by REsi 6 yesterday at 30 but decided to wait a few more weeks till it drops to 17.99 in the run up/after Christmas sales.

Advertisement