Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BulletStorm

• 10-06-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Anybody have BulletStorm?
    Is is any good? I'v heard mixed review about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I enjoyed it for what it was, and I'm not generally a lover of fps games.

More a rental than a buy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just played the demo myself, but it seemed very enjoyable. I'll pick it up someday when I find it cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd rent it, and if you like it i'd then buy it. Good enough game, nothing fantastic, funny at times. But multiplayer sucked dong for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Played the demo, found it extremely repetitive and boring, despite doing my best to get the combos. All credit to the devs for trying something a bit different, but it just didn't do enough to get me hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Played the demo too (xbox) and deleted it straight after. Didn't really wow me. Also for some strange reason I was really ticked off that you couldn't jump! Grr. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Man the start gun was shít, mega shít even after 5 upgrades and it got boring fast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's the game Duke Nukem's trying to be. Lots of fun trying to find all the skill shots and bonuses, doesn't take itself seriously and it sorta reminds you why you play games in the first place - fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

deathrider wrote: »
    Just played the demo myself, but it seemed very enjoyable. I'll pick it up someday when I find it cheap enough.
    PC version was €16.99 in HMV Liffey Valley about a week or so ago. Not sure now though. Think that's pretty cheap. I really should have picked it up at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've been playing a bit of BulletStorm the past few days since it went free on PS+. So far it isn't too bad. I remember playing the demo and not being impressed. I'm only on the second chapter and I don't know if it will hold my interest to the end. I think the Skillshot idea is pretty good. There is an impressive amount of them too. I'm not going out of my way to get them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been playing a bit of BulletStorm the past few days since it went free on PS+. So far it isn't too bad. I remember playing the demo and not being impressed. I'm only on the second chapter and I don't know if it will hold my interest to the end. I think the Skillshot idea is pretty good. There is an impressive amount of them too. I'm not going out of my way to get them though.

I know my earlier (like last year kinda earlier) said that I wasn't blown away by the demo, but I've I've played through the full game a few times since, and I simply love it. It puts the fun back into FPS games, ignoring all the more "realistic" turns the genre's taken in recent year and instead just being over the top mad. It's fun, inventive, and hilarious. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 theZomboid

bulletstorm!

first game i played when i bought my PS3....it's f'ing awesome!
    that good i think i played it twice...mostly because i couldn't afford to buy
    another game for ages :D

I finished BulletStorm tonight. It was a nice free game to get on PS+. I'm glad I didn't pick it up at full price when it came out but it was still an enjoyable game. It didn't overstay its welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

More than anything I find the rock bottom bargain prices its going for to be the vote of no-confidence that keep me from buying it.

The demo was passable. I'd be interested to see what the single-player campaign has to offer in the way of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a really fun game, the story isn't brilliant but it's still solid. I'd recommend it if it's going cheap. Great shooting, trickshots and immature humour, it's a good laugh.

I've seen it in shops for around €11 and it is worth that price certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

:)

One of my favorite games of last gen!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Criminally underrated when it was out.

EA and no support or MP additions certainly didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Criminally underrated when it was out.

EA and no support or MP additions certainly didnt help.

Im sorry i do apologise but.....i bought this game for full price when it came out. Based on the same type of talk. 'a leader in its class...an underrated gem'........it was very dull.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought it was exceptionally boring concept of rail shooter in a co-op/linear environment. Not my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I enjoyed this game. It was quite fun kicking people into spikes. I played it late as well only last year on the PC.

• Advertisement

I thought it was exceptionally boring concept of rail shooter in a co-op/linear environment. Not my cup of tea at all.

A rail shooter it most definitely is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I paid full price for it when it came out and though it was brilliant, so over the top and ridiculous.

Also got it on Day one, it was a very good SP game but there was supposed to be more MP support after release. EA canned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

M!Ck^ wrote: »

He really does himself and Gearbox no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

He's completely correct though, why would Gearbox, who have made nothing from the original release of the game, be obliged to give the updated version of the game away for free?

There is of course a perfectly valid argument for a discount as a sign of good will but I wouldn't expect it nor give anyone **** in its absence. Hell, we don't even know the details of the deal they've done with People Can Fly, the developers and more importantly IP owners of the original game. For all anyone commenting knows, such as a discount was never even on the table.

gizmo wrote: »
    He's completely correct though, why would Gearbox, who have made nothing from the original release of the game, be obliged to give the updated version of the game away for free?

There is of course a perfectly valid argument for a discount as a sign of good will but I wouldn't expect it nor give anyone **** in its absence. Hell, we don't even know the details of the deal they've done with People Can Fly, the developers and more importantly IP owners of the original game. For all anyone commenting knows, such as a discount was never even on the table.

I'm more so coming from the prospect of trying to revive interest in the series considering it did not do well at retail on first pass.
    More sales at a lower cost as opposed to sales revenue at full price should be the way he should do this.
    Then invest in a proper sequel if it generates enough interest.

Nobody will end up buying this only hardcore fans because of a remaster at full price tag.

Not to mention Randy has been caught so many times talking bull**** and pulling the wool over consumers eyes.
    Do Gearbox even own the franchise now, do they not? How invested are they in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm more so coming from the prospect of trying to revive interest in the series considering it did not do well at retail on first pass.
    More sales at a lower cost as opposed to sales revenue at full price should be the way he should do this.
    Then invest in a proper sequel if it generates enough interest.

Nobody will end up buying this only hardcore fans because of a remaster at full price tag.

Not to mention Randy has been caught so many times talking bull**** and pulling the wool over consumers eyes.
    Do Gearbox even own the franchise now, do they not? How invested are they in this?
    Trust me, I'd bloody well love if the franchise was revived too, I've just read through his Twitter timeline and nearly strained my neck with all the headshaking it caused. :o

A few points to note though, it's not full price, it's £29.99 on Steam right now. With the pre-order discount it's £25.49. For reference, the regular Bulletstorm is being sold for £14.99, sales of which continue to go to EA. Personally I would have thought £24.99 would be a good retail price and then offer the discount but that's just me.

As for Gearbox, nope they don't own the IP, they're simply acting as publisher. More than likely, they've funded part of the (re-)development cost, helped out with any technical issues hit when working on the console ports and QA needing to be done as well as hooking them up with retail and Steam distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I really enjoyed Bulletstorm - in all its stupid and cheesy glory. Would be tempted to pick this up again (but tend to avoid double dipping until things go really cheap). Just want a sequel really :)

🤪

• Advertisement

"murder party and your invited".

I agree with Pitchford its not a Skyrim/Bioshock thing its a reinvigoration with Duke in it.

Advertisement