Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Krusty I'm looking for a PB in Raheny so will be aiming for under 33:49. How about yourself and also I know your marathon is a good bit away but what time are you hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Woddle, for the:
    Raheny 5 Mile: I've only run the one 5 mile which was the Sportsworld Classic last year, in around 35 mins, so don't really know what to aim for in Raheny. Based on recent form, Mcmillan suggests I should be aiming for 32 mins + change. But I've missed two weeks of the last three, to illness and holidays, so I have some catching up to do. I'll set out at a pace for sub 33, and see how it goes...

IMRA races: Try not to get any wounds where the bone is exposed. :eek:

Connemarathon: Running at a friend's pace, so will probably be around 3:30-3:45. I can see how this will be difficult when the race gun goes off, and I'll have to hold back. But I love the Connemara races so it's no biggey.

Edinburgh: First of the two real races this year. Aim is to get a Boston qualifier for next year, but the real target is 3:07:29 (half-way between BQ and a sub 3 hour finish).

Berlin: Second of the two key races this year. Sub 3. :D

Dublin 09: Just for fun. Doing it for the commemorative T-Shirt!

I'd also love to go sub 40 in a 10k this year (current pb: 40:30), and get a half marathon time around where it should be, which would mean knocking a good 10-15 mins of my current pb).

Yesterday - Football - 80 mins, covered 4.5 miles, but played sh1t. Every muscle hurts.

Today: 9 Miles with 4 miles at 15k-1/2 Marathon pace (LT), so did the four miles at 6:45/mile. Poor preparation for this run, so the result was good. Everything hurts even more.

Summary: 9.3 Miles in 1:06, @7:10/mile (incidentally planned marathon pace), HR=158.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Does football mileage count for the 1000 mile challenge :)

Does football mileage count for the 1000 mile challenge :)
    I wish! If it did, I'd also include my walking miles, and just keep the Garmin on my wrist all day. Do you think I could also include my motorcycle hours?! Only then could I catch up with you animals at the top of the list!

Today: 5 mile recovery, at around 8:14/mile. I was quite sore this morning, but the early morning recovery run seems to have helped a lot. I'm a lot more mobile since.

Recovery run is just another way of saying 'run of little interest, that nobody wants to do'. It's too short to go anywhere interesting, it's too slow to be challenging, and doesn't take long enough to get any real sense of satisfaction. However, this afternoon, I really feel the benefits. Switching my medium long run to tomorrow, because of Sunday's race, so hopefully the weather improves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Today: 5 mile recovery, at around 8:14/mile. I was quite sore this morning, but the early morning recovery run seems to have helped a lot. I'm a lot more mobile since.

Recovery run is just another way of saying 'run of little interest, that nobody wants to do'. It's too short to go anywhere interesting, it's too slow to be challenging, and doesn't take long enough to get any real sense of satisfaction. However, this afternoon, I really feel the benefits. Switching my medium long run to tomorrow, because of Sunday's race, so hopefully the weather improves.

You'll get the benefits because you're doing a recovery the way it should be done- at a slow easy pace, which will get blood flowing and help your muscles repair themselves, setting you up nicely for your next hard run.
    I'm going to take a leaf out of your book; I find it hard to slow down for recovery runs, but that in turn probably means I'm not going to run my hard sessions as fast as I should. 8:15/mile sounds about right.

To be honest, I couldn't have gone much quicker, as the leg muscles were in bad shape. I actually didn't watch my pace at all. I had a different screen on the Garmin with just HR and distance, which I find helps me greatly.. When the pace is showing, I have a tendency to compete against myself. Also having the radio on instead of the fast tunes helped too! I need a new 'soothing music' playlist for recovery runs!

15 Mile medium long run with hills. Moved my long run to today, because of Sunday's Raheny 5 mile race. New route for me: Headed to Bray and ran along the esplanade, then up Southern Cross, before getting lost, and following Ballywaltrim Lane to get back on course again. Up Herbert Road, over the new Pedestrian bridge, up to Enniskerry, and back over the side of Carrigologan (just for that added bit of self-inflicted masochism).

The stretch from the N11 up to Enniskerry is very nice, following the Glencullen river, with decent tarmac paths. Will do this route again, but probably in the other direction, as it ended up being the better part of a 12km hill climb (if only steep for the last 2kms). Nice sunny day, good day for running.
    Today's GPS graffitti: Good rendition of an elephant!

Summary: 15.2 miles, in 2 Hours, @7:58/mile, HR=150 (80%). Elevation gain (+1km?!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Pretty good for a midweek run KC! I knew it was only a matter of time before you caught me on the 1000mile challenge :D I'll attempt to hang on to your coat tails for a while before you join the heavy mileage guys (n Gals ;)).

MCOS wrote: »
    Pretty good for a midweek run KC! I knew it was only a matter of time before you caught me on the 1000mile challenge :D I'll attempt to hang on to your coat tails for a while before you join the heavy mileage guys (n Gals ;)).
    Thanks, but I'd swap it all for your swimming ability and your forthcoming 10k time!

• Advertisement

Good running KC. You really do do shapely runs and you love that hill up by the Scalp.

Yep! I used that hill for the Connemara half for the last two years, and for my marathon training. I even hike up there with the wife and kids on Christmas day every year, while the Turkey's in the oven! It's known in our family as 'my hill'. and yet, I hate it. Yes, I need a change. :)

Feeling suprisingly good today, despite yesterdays medium long run, so started the day with Hal Higdon's strength exercises, and it was so nice and sunny, I decided I'd get a recovery/part aerobic run in.

8 Miles: Bray sea-front to Greystones and back again, along the cliff route. Glad I wore the Innov8s as it was really muddy and slippy. Still, it's a lovely route, with some great sea-scapes, and probably good practice for the IMRA races, with the careful foot positioning while running.

Few pints tonight, rest tomorrow, then Raheny on Sunday. 51 Miles + a game of football in the last 6 days, which is a lot for me.

Summary: 8 Miles in 1:08 @8:30/Mile. HR=146 (78%).

Raheny 5 Mile Road race today. Finished by my watch in 32:18.

Mad dash to get to the start (and registration), in pi$$ing rain, so adrenaline was already pumping by the time I got there. Joined the back of the line with about a minute to spare, so had to struggle through the throngs for the first mile and a bit, so think that a sub-32 minute time was well within reach.

Pleased with that time. It is actually, to the second, what McMillan predicted would be my equivalent time from my Aware 10K race. So, in a way, I'm glad that despite not doing any real speed-work since the aware race (Intervals, Tempo runs etc) I don't seem to have lost much shorter distance speed, while training for longer distance running. Great sprint finish, despite having to take the outside line, finishing at sub 3min/km pace.

Summary: 5 Mile race in 32:18 @3:59/km (yes I know the figures don't add up! Garmin measured the distance a little longer than 5 mile). Average HR=170 (90%).

Well organized race (despite being a very poorly organized participant!) and a great goody bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Great stuff KC, thats bang on 40 min 10k kind of pace so I reckon you will crack it before I do:cool: Well run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great run KC
    even more impressive as you havent been doing doing any speed work but have kept your short distance speed.
    i feel slower over the shorter distances because of my longer running

ps . you will really have to get a bit more organised before you race:D

I actually left my house in plenty time, but *ahem* - made a few wrong turns in the city that I've lived in for all of my 37 years.. :o I blame the weather. :)

Today: Hal Higdon Strength training, followed by 5 miles in 36:05. Shouldn't have been running that quickly, the day after Raheny, particularly with football later, but the sun was out... It was lovely and warm.. I couldn't not go out.. Hell, I even toyed with the idea of doing one of my longer runs (tomorrow's 9 mile with strides), but reigned myself in.

Summary: 5 miles in 36:05 @4:25/km. HR=151 (80%).

Played football last night, after the weights and the 5 mile run, so was absolutely wrecked today. Had to force myself to go out the door, and struggled the whole way through this run.

9 Miles aerobic, with 10x100m strides. Towards the end, the strides were a little more like stumbles, but glad to have gotten the run under the belt anyway.

Summary: 9.2 miles in 1:08 @4:32/km. HR=150 (80%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

A Klingons bird of prey maybe :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm just not seeing it:

bop.jpg
    :D

A nice chilled 5 miles in the sunshine, after doing Higdon's Strength training. Lovely day for a recovery run (particularly after yesterday's torturous effort). Ah yes, this is why I run..

Summary: 5 Miles in 41:14, @5:06/km. HR=136 (72%).

Forecast isn't great for tomorrow, with rain and strong winds, so will try to get long run in, in the morning. Same route as last week, except in reverse and an extra mile tagged to the end.

What started out as a miserable run, turned into a run I'm very happy with. Cold, miserable, windy; so went the first few miles. Then my spirits picked up, pace picked up, and really enjoyed it. Did the last 10 miles a good deal faster than PMP, albeit with a nice downhill, and occasional supportive winds. The last three miles were magic, with the wind literally pushing me back to my house. Fantastic running along the promenade in Bray, with the waves crashing onto the beach. Would happily have stayed out for another 3 or 4 miles, but wisdom prevailed.

Summary: 16 miles in 2 hours @7:32/mile. HR=150 (80%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's a great run Krusty, especially so at that pace with these conditions. (And "real" miles too!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

KC seems like a very satisfying workout. Well done.

10 slow, wet, cold, hungover, tired miles around Waterford City. Total time: 1:30, @5:31/km. HR=130. Miserable... But done.. :)

Total for month: 151 miles. At this rate, should hit the 1,000 mile mark in middle/end of June.

Great running KC. Liked your Elephant shaped run from yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

10 slow, wet, cold, hungover, tired miles around Waterford City. Total time: 1:30, @5:31/km. HR=130. Miserable... But done.. :)

Total for month: 151 miles. At this rate, should hit the 1,000 mile mark in middle/end of June.

I'm in awe, if that's a bad day..where do i sign up?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

9 mile punishment run today. Punishment run is where you try to run a mile for every drink you had the night before. I didn't come close, unfortunately. :o Thankfully no more stag weekends in the foreseeable future, so I'll try and take a break from the gargle. My body is a temple. :)

Good pace, just a few seconds per km slower than marathon pace, which is better than I deserve, after yesterdays debauchery.

Summary: 9.4 miles in 1:08, @4:32/km, with HR=152 (81%).

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Hal Higdon Strength training.

Today: Couldn't get out during the day, due to sick babies, and tonight was a non-runner, because of the weather, so headed to the Gym for a late treadmill run.

Summary: 10 miles with 10x150m strides, in 1:09:47 @4:22/km, HR=157 (84%).
    Jesus, I hate the treadmill. Or more to the point, I hate running indoors. The only place runners should be running side by side, is at the beginning or the end of a race. As for reading Hello magazine while you're running?!

Advertisement