Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defiance: The MMO/TV Show...

• 12-11-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭

Okay then...

A "Transmedia" experience, brought to you by Trion Worlds (Rift, End of Nations) and SyFy (The people that killed Stargate with their own stupidity, and replaced it with such amazing titles as Sharktopus and Megashark vs. Crocasaurus). Defiance is to be both a Television show, and an MMO shooter for PC, Xbox, and Playstation.

The crew of the TV show isn't anything spectacular, a few lesser-important people from IPs like Iron Man, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape and others. No famous directors and producers, the director in fact has a Visual Effects background, which, could be interesting one way or the other.

The Game portion by Trion consists of the same people who made things like Rift and they have experience that harps back to games like Aion and World of Warcraft, which means little to me.

The hook they have for this is that it is a "Transmedia" event: actions in the game are at least said to have an impact on the events of the TV show, and in turn events in the TV show will be reflected within the game.

I don't have high expectations, but expect this intriguing trainwreck to launch in April!

http://defiance.com/en/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I love the ambition though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Expect? I'd be willing to put money on it but I don't think anyone would be willing to pay me more then money back on such a bet (in fact I'm getting Fahrenheit 451 vibes ala the "interactive TV")...

If they want a Transmedia event they need to go look at Eve; it's the only one that I can think of that has been successfull about it (and not because the Devs thought it would be cool thing to have)...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Syfy, the best channel to watch wrestling on..

Think i'll give both the game and the tv show a big hairy miss. The game wont stand toe-to-toe with any other mmo, and it wont come close to wow. The tv show is looking like that pile of shyte 'falling skies' had a baby with that other pile of shyte 'terra nova'

intriguing trainwreck is right on the money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

What's with the negativity around this?

Syfy make good sci-fi shows and trion make good games.

From the live streams I have watched of the game so far it looks really good and I am really looking forward to it.

Innovation is the way forward. If people stick with cookie cutter MMO's like wow then we will never move forward into a new generation of gaming. And yes I am including rift with that, another of trions games which I currently have about 1000 hours played on.

I like that action in game have an impact on something other than in the game. Maybe I won't be able to change something in the show by myself but the community sure can.

As for having no spectacular crew members I tend to disagree. Julia Benz sticks out the most. She was in allot cult tv programing in the day such as buffy, angel and more recently dexter. She was also in Halo 2. A fine actor with a good sci-fi / cult tv background.

Trion are one of my favorite devs as they actually listen to the players and support there products. Rift is a fine MMO with about 4 times more content patched into the game since launch for free and the expansion out tomorrow basically doubles it again.

I can understand peoples reasons for expecting it to fail because it is a syfy show but they most certainly have x amount of years contract with trion for the show to go on and I would hazard a guess that there will be at least 3-5 seasons in that contract. I have also read that ALLOT of money has been put into the show so canceling it will not be a good idea.
    The tv show is looking like that pile of shyte 'falling skies' had a baby with that other pile of shyte 'terra nova'.

Neither of which are SciFi shows that have(had in terra novas case) the investment that this project has.

Just give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Limericks wrote: »

Neither of which are SciFi shows that have(had in terra novas case) the investment that this project has.

Just give it a chance.

I know that, i was making a comparison. I'll give it a chance when the critics have rated it whatever way they rate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement