Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australia wants to cull great whites

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

jmayo wrote: »
    Now now no need to be condescending for being called up for making 2+2=5 just because in the past someone did the same.

And you don't get my point.
    There was/is nothign wrong with culling feral cats.
    It is a valid solution.
    What would you have them do ?

Yes they are prime examples of what happens when non native animals are introduced for one particular reasons only for them to escape into the wild where they have no natural predator.
    But years down the road the introduction of culls for these animals are one of the best solutions.
    We have the same problems with grey squirrels here and AFAIK culls have been discussed.

You seem to think that because generations ago people and authorities made mistakes in the introduction of animals, that now means that all other successive and current solutions are also going to be wrong.

And your point is ??
    Yes they fooked up back in the 30s, but that mean that if they found a way of now exterminating them that they would also be wrong ?

Have you ever been to Australia or New Zealand ?
    If you have then you surely must have noticed how anal they are about the importation of animal and plant matter ?
    Hell I have even seen the dirt on one guys golf shoes being examined.
    I have even come across sign on Victoria, NSW border about carrying fruit that might have fruit flies in it. :confused:

Ehhh you were the one that dragged the culling of non native species into this with your comments about feral cats.

Have I anywhere said I agree with culling sharks ?
    No I haven't.
    I have just taken exception to your point about the Aussies always getting it wrong.

Think latterly, then horizontally and then vertically.
    You'll eventually get there or else dizzy. ;)

Take a deep breath, go back and actually read what I have said. Stop implying that I'm saying something that I'm not so that you can have an argument on the internet. You are the one who is adding 2+2 and getting 5 :o
    I have my opinion-you have yours, I won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I don't care if it's offensive
    Your like that bloke from south park Ageing liberal hippy douche
    And yes I made a mistake it was in china not Japan sure their just as bad for killin off animals

Referring to the Japanese as "Japs" is ignorant and offensive and the fact that you cannot distinguish between Japanese people and Chinese people hilights your poor education.

If you want to educate yourself, try reading up on Internment of Japanese Americans during WW2 or Gil Asakawa's book or John Okada.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

G
    old hippy wrote: »
    I don't care if it's offensive
    Your like that bloke from south park Ageing liberal hippy douche
    And yes I made a mistake it was in china not Japan sure their just as bad for killin off animals

Referring to the Japanese as "Japs" is ignorant and offensive and the fact that you cannot distinguish between Japanese people and Chinese people hilights your poor education.

If you want to educate yourself, try reading up on Internment of Japanese Americans during WW2 or Gil Asakawa's book or John Okada.
    And you claimin I have poor education isn't ignorant and offensive??
    Walked into that there ageing hippy liberal douche

G
    And you claimin I have poor education isn't ignorant and offensive??
    Walked into that there ageing hippy liberal douche

Well, when you realise that using the word "Japs" is a racial epithet and that the Yangtze River is in China I shall revise my opinion of you.

The name calling and ageism is another give away, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

we can agree on one thing either of you cant take the higher moral ground and cant take the upper hand on this one as youre both insulting each other :D

we can agree on one thing either of you cant take the higher moral ground and cant take the upper hand on this one as youre both insulting each other :D

I didn't use any racial slurs, I pulled him or her up on that and the fact that they were unable to differentiate between Japan and China. That and the resort to name calling on their part indicates to me someone lacking in education.

Whereas my age should have no bearing on matters.

I didn't use any racial slurs, I pulled him or her up on that and the fact that they were unable to differentiate between Japan and China. That and the resort to name calling on their part indicates to me someone lacking in education.

Whereas my age should have no bearing on matters.
    So name callin shows lack of education?
    I know your name is old hippy but how bout stone age hippy?
    By the way this is after hours
    If you can't take the abuse then GTFO

I can take the abuse but it's quite low and cowardly of you to use a racism as a form of debate.

Are you able to discuss the actual topic?

I can take the abuse but it's quite low and cowardly of you to use a racism as a form of debate.

Are you able to discuss the actual topic?
    How is it racist by shortening Japanese to japs?
    Have you nothing better to do than shout racist?
    People like you make me sick big time!!!!
    As for the original topic.! The one I started??!!!! yea I can keep on topic your the one who went topic by starting racism **** ya fool so if ya don't mind piss off my thread and get a life!!!!!!

• Advertisement

How is it racist by shortening Japanese to japs?
    Have you nothing better to do than shout racist?
    People like you make me sick big time!!!!
    As for the original topic.! The one I started??!!!! yea I can keep on topic your the one who went topic by starting racism **** ya fool so if ya don't mind piss off my thread and get a life!!!!!!

I think we both know you don't need lil old me to make you sick. The illness, which manifests itself in racist remarks and playing dumb when you've been told the very fact of it.

Now, I can just about plain forgive you for confusing Japanese with Chinese, why I guess to you - they're all the same. Don't be embarrassed about it, son. I've spent my whole life having to educate and explain to the sorry, the sad, the curious and downright ignorant about racism and treating people with respect. I'm used to it, see? I've seen it here and plenty of other places.

But it's just bad manners to continue using that kind of language. The word "Japs" is an offensive racial slur, all you have to do is ask your Japanese friends, colleagues or family members. Now, if unlike me, you don't have any close Japanese ties or interest in harmony... well, you might just find it more fruitful to learn up about WW2 and where that not so charming term orginated from. And how it was used to beat down and demonise and discriminate against a people. You wouldn't use the N word or the P word or anything else against people who don't come from your backyard, now would you?

'Course, you can shriek and shake your fist that it's your thread and it's AH... but that don't give you license to bandy about bigotry. That's why I tackled you. Thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure you can see that. Hiding behind AH to cough up some dumb racial slur and then plead ignorance. Yet I still give you the benefit. But now, you're just riling me up.

Sigh.

Since you brought up my age and all, I'll put your schoolyard posturing down to youthful indescretion and we'll rub along just fine in future but you might care to think twice before dissing our East Asian friends.

Happy fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Back on topic whatever about racial slurs what ever culture practices this bs scientific research whale culling is a backward culture.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Back on topic whatever about racial slurs whayt ever culture practices this bs scientific research whale culling is a backward culture.

Plenty of peoples around the world kill whales. Don't agree with it, think it's wrong. Just the same as killing sharks, esp for shark fin soup. But saying a country is backward because they operate a policy you don't like... I disagree. Back in Ireland there's hunting, badger baiting, dog fights and paramilitary activity both sides of the border. There's cronysism, corrupt politicians and people who allow clerical abuse to be brushed under the carpet. All of us, every country had it's low points - sure.

So I'm a racist towards the Asians am I? Ya wanna clarify that there mate?
    Considering I'm am with a Filipino past 4 years and have a 2 year old child with her so sayin I am racist towards Asians is a bit off topic
    I think the Japanese or japs are decent people
    The Chinese however I find are the most ignorant people in the world and I can back that up havin spent time in china
    So if your sayin our friends from the east involve the Chinese I'm afraid I am not part of that category as I hate them so I guess you could say I am racist towards the Chinese
    Also when I put into google Japanese river dolphin it came up Yangtze river dolphin therefore I assumed it was in Japan as it says about the Japanese capturing the dolphin
    Don't believe me then put it in yourself

Plenty of peoples around the world kill whales. Don't agree with it, think it's wrong. Just the same as killing sharks, esp for shark fin soup. But saying a country is backward because they operate a policy you don't like... I disagree. Back in Ireland there's hunting, badger baiting, dog fights and paramilitary activity both sides of the border. There's cronysism, corrupt politicians and people who allow clerical abuse to be brushed under the carpet. All of us, every country had it's low points - sure.

You can judge a civilisation by how they treat their animals. In relation to animal welfare they are a backward culture. In relation to us as far as animal welfare we have been called backward as a nation and I would agree with that.

So I'm a racist towards the Asians am I? Ya wanna clarify that there mate?
    Considering I'm am with a Filipino past 4 years and have a 2 year old child with her so sayin I am racist towards Asians is a bit off topic
    I think the Japanese or japs are decent people
    The Chinese however I find are the most ignorant people in the world and I can back that up havin spent time in china
    So if your sayin our friends from the east involve the Chinese I'm afraid I am not part of that category as I hate them so I guess you could say I am racist towards the Chinese
    Also when I put into google Japanese river dolphin it came up Yangtze river dolphin therefore I assumed it was in Japan as it says about the Japanese capturing the dolphin
    Don't believe me then put it in yourself

Without wishing to turn it into a competition, I've spent time in East Asia and my wife is Japanese. I can assure you that the term "Jap" is an offensive one and is much more than just flippancy. If you feel the need to use the term again, that's your path to chose. I just hope you never use it in front of a Japanese person.

I'm sorry you feel hatred towards the Chinese. Is that all Chinese or just Han Chinese? It's a vast country with many different peoples and ethnicities. A country that size is impossible to classify under one generic umbrella.

Not all Japanese are into whaling. In fact, these days it's a minority. Whale was very much a staple part of the Japanese diet, post WW2 when times were tough - the younger crowd are not interested in whale or dolphin and I have no truck with those who are. Having said that, I have eaten whale (in Norway). Also, there are entire communities in parts of Japan who rely on whaling for their livelyhood - not condoning it - but that's the way it is at present.

I can't dismiss entire nations for certain things that are repugnant to me. Otherwise I'd be very much an insular person with no desire to see and meet people in this world of ours. Apologies if you feel I invaded your thread but I've had to put up with various unpleasant dealings out there because of my wife's nationality and it gets to be a bit of a drag - so yeah, when it comes to loved one's - one tends to bristle when one hears certain things being said.

Ignorance is a global thing, I find if we tend to treat people as individuals it goes someway towards understanding (but not necessarily appreciating every aspect) their culture.

That's me off my soapbox now.

Peace.

Without wishing to turn it into a competition, I've spent time in East Asia and my wife is Japanese. I can assure you that the term "Jap" is an offensive one and is much more than just flippancy. If you feel the need to use the term again, that's your path to chose. I just hope you never use it in front of a Japanese person.

I'm sorry you feel hatred towards the Chinese. Is that all Chinese or just Han Chinese? It's a vast country with many different peoples and ethnicities. A country that size is impossible to classify under one generic umbrella.

Not all Japanese are into whaling. In fact, these days it's a minority. Whale was very much a staple part of the Japanese diet, post WW2 when times were tough - the younger crowd are not interested in whale or dolphin and I have no truck with those who are. Having said that, I have eaten whale (in Norway). Also, there are entire communities in parts of Japan who rely on whaling for their livelyhood - not condoning it - but that's the way it is at present.

I can't dismiss entire nations for certain things that are repugnant to me. Otherwise I'd be very much an insular person with no desire to see and meet people in this world of ours. Apologies if you feel I invaded your thread but I've had to put up with various unpleasant dealings out there because of my wife's nationality and it gets to be a bit of a drag - so yeah, when it comes to loved one's - one tends to bristle when one hears certain things being said.

Ignorance is a global thing, I find if we tend to treat people as individuals it goes someway towards understanding (but not necessarily appreciating every aspect) their culture.

That's me off my soapbox now.

Peace.

The way it is at present is not excuse whatsoever for the barbarisim thats practiced by some cultures.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The way it is at present is not excuse whatsoever for the barbarisim thats practiced by some cultures.

I agree. Ireland is in some ways a barbaric country, as well. Hunting, baiting, coursing and all that.

There's no excuse for that, either.

But neither country should be defined by their wrong doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I agree. Ireland is in some ways a barbaric country, as well. Hunting, baiting, coursing and all that.

There's no excuse for that, either.

But neither country should be defined by their wrong doing.

They shouldn't be defined by their wrong doing, but its still very important to both condemn it and highlight it where possible, or there's unlikely to evver be change!

Advertisement