Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do Consultants/ Doctors use voice recorders

• 02-09-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Some thing just came to mind now, I had to go to see a Consultant today.
    He let me go into his office before him and as while I took a seat he had some thing in his hand and says along the lines of ,, oh trying to get this thing to work !!
    I was all a fluster my self nerves you could say , been waiting for this appointment for last 2 months so I rabbeted on fairly quick detailed few things since last visit with him , so I did not notice where he put this dark gray "thing" with buttons , Sorry poor description !!!
    So I just got the idea it was a old style tape voice recorder.
    Is it good or bad to use , Should a patient be told they are being recorded ?.
    Now what I said was all the truth so I guess its for notes and can be heard that I brought letters and appointment letters for to make me better. How my physio sessions have gone and as such.
    It was not his mobile phone as last time he was using that while talking to me texting , that was a black covered Iphone.
    I have been to other consultants and its been old style faithful Pen & Paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AmberAmber wrote: »
    Some thing just came to mind now, I had to go to see a Consultant today.
    He let me go into his office before him and as while I took a seat he had some thing in his hand and says along the lines of ,, oh trying to get this thing to work !!
    I was all a fluster my self nerves you could say , been waiting for this appointment for last 2 months so I rabbeted on fairly quick detailed few things since last visit with him , so I did not notice where he put this dark gray "thing" with buttons , Sorry poor description !!!
    So I just got the idea it was a old style tape voice recorder.
    Is it good or bad to use , Should a patient be told they are being recorded ?.
    Now what I said was all the truth so I guess its for notes and can be heard that I brought letters and appointment letters for to make me better. How my physio sessions have gone and as such.
    It was not his mobile phone as last time he was using that while talking to me texting , that was a black covered Iphone.
    I have been to other consultants and its been old style faithful Pen & Paper.

They have dictaphones for recording notes on patients, then later in the day/next day their secretaries type up the noted on the patient for the chart. The doctor would get nothing done if he had to type up notes after every patient he sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

ah yea thats the word I was trying to think of !!
    Dictaphone , but I had the idea that , such a device would be used after I left the office as per what I have seen on "tv / movies" .
    but would it be used at consultation , would a patient be told or need to be told ?
    I get the idea that a medical secretary would be doing up notes and referal letters from such tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

AmberAmber wrote: »
    ah yea thats the word I was trying to think of !!
    Dictaphone , but I had the idea that , such a device would be used after I left the office as per what I have seen on "tv / movies" .
    but would it be used at consultation , would a patient be told or need to be told ?
    I get the idea that a medical secretary would be doing up notes and referal letters from such tapes.

He wouldn't have used it during the consultation, he wasn't recording you. After you leave, instead of writing up notes about the consultation he says it into the dictaphone and the secretary writes it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Bit off topic. Have seen a consultant talk into one on rounds, but never at end of bed. It would be fairly rude, then again I have seen doctors sit on patients beds and take phonecalls which isn't great. On to more important matters...

REALLY Off topic and I apologise. But have to share my dad's favourite joke. Olden and not very golden.

"Do you use a dictaphone?"

"No, I use my finger, same as everybody else".

I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I've been with the same Orthopaedic Surgeon for many years, and at the end of the consultation he always dictates the GP/physio or whatever letter in my presence, and what makes him very unusual is that I always receive a copy of this letter- it really is great, everyone sees the same letter so no confusion or misunderstanding can arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was with a consultant earlier this year and he had a voice recorder. He dictated the letter that would be sent to my GP and then his secretary would type it. It was the first time I've seen it being done though

Advertisement