Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014

Run plan: 18 miles very easy

It's late...so this is going to be brief. :)

This run was supposed to be VERY easy, so that meant it was to be all about time on my feet. I'm learning to embrace the purpose of each session...and I'm following directions better. And for the most part I kept this very easy. The run looked something like this...

9:31, 9:17, 9:26, 9:20, 9:29, 9:25
    Started to melt in the heat (88 degrees) and full sun on miles 5 and 6....took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:10, 9:26, 9:15, 9:21
    Still hot, but the sun was starting to fade...took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:16, 9:21, 9:15, 9:17
    More comfortable with the sun less of a factor...staying relaxed, but legs getting tired....took gel, Gatorade, water.

9:06, 8:58, 8:54, 8:41
    Treated myself to the flat/straight section of the field, and allowed myself to up the groove while staying in the easy in spite of the legs wanting to call it a day. And it was starting to get dark by the time I hit the last mile.

Actual run: 18 miles in 2:46:38 for an average pace of 9:15 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    These are all fantastic!! Thanks....and please feel free to keep them coming over the next 4 weeks!! :)

No video ... but I really like this:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

pgmcpq wrote: »
    No video ... but I really like this:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

Love it!!! Thank you!! :)

Thursday, August 28th, 2014

Bike

It was the usual bi-weekly lunchtime date with the Cat...and it was another hot and sunny day out. No snakes or photo ops with dogs, but there was a wall of wind and lots of pushing about. :eek: I stayed strong, though, and channeled my best Tony Martin and stayed aero. If Tony can do it, I can do it!!! :cool: ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/577383298

Actual bike: 18.92 miles in 1:04:38 for an average speed of 17.6 mph and an elevation gain of 1,263 feet

Swim

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous evening!! A perfect setting for a late day swim in my 85 degree pool. :D

1,000 yards easy
    8 x 200 yards pull buoy on 3 minutes - descending 1-4, 5-8
    800 yards easy

After a really n-i-c-e, s-l-o-w, r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g warmup (that's what warm water will do to me!), I jumped into the 200s. I didn't do the best job descending the first 4, but the second 4 was better. Happy enough! :)

2:45, 2:45, 2:45, 2:40...2:43, 2:41, 2:40, 2:35

Actual swim: 3,400 yards

Friday, August 29th, 2014

I had to take the Black Cat to the bike shop today - I broke the tip of the valve off yesterday while pumping up the tires and I didn't have the proper replacement piece I needed to fix it. Plus, I thought the piece that had broken off was stuck in the pump, so I hauled that to the shop as well, only to find out the metal piece I was trying to pry out of the pump was actually part of the pump! Good god I don't know what I'm doing bike-wise. So any way....I had the valve fixed and replacement pieces secured in case I break more...the Black Cat got a little spa treatment from Collin...I had a refresher course in changing a tire....and Collin put my little tool/tube/co2 kit together for me so I'll be all set for IM Maryland in case anything goes wrong. :)(lovelovelove these grease monkey bike geeks!)

Run plan: Fartlek - 2 miles easy, 3 x (2 min HMP, 3 min easy, 3 min MP, 2 min easy), 2 miles easy

:o Mechanical difficulties altered the trajectory of this session. :(

I took great care to program my Garmin so I could execute this session properly....but apparently when I chose the custom workout to do, I chose the wrong custom workout!! Ugh! Note to self: take a closer look at the session details before I hit "do this workout"! But of course I didn't realize it was the wrong workout until the first 2 minutes @ HMP turned into 3 minutes...and then the 3 minutes easy turned into 1 minute. :confused: Double ugh!! So I stopped and thought I could quickly edit the session...however, once you stop the workout, if you start it again, you start it from the beginning. Triple ugh!!! Therefore, when it was obvious that it would be quite difficult to do this session as it was given to me, I made the executive decision to do my HMP/MP/easy segments based on distance instead of time. And because I knew I'd be shorting each segment a little based on the markers I chose, I just added a little extra to the whole thing. Oh, and I also hadn't a clue what pace I was running (don't ask!), so I just made the HMP fast, and the MP not as fast....sort of. (my poor head is spinning!) This was a mess, plain and simple!

Any way...here's the HMP and MP segment info...
    HMP - 3 min, .46 mile, 6:31 pace
    HMP - 1:09, .18 mile, 6:25 pace
    MP - 2:21, .35 mile, 6:45 pace
    HMP - 1:34, .24 mile, 6:31 pace
    MP - 2:28, .34 mile, 7:15 pace
    HMP - 1:35, .24 mile, 6:38 pace
    MP - 2:27, .35 mile, 7:00 pace
    HMP - 1:34, .23 mile, 6:49 pace
    MP - 2:24, .35 mile, 6:52 pace

Actual run: 8.7 miles in 1:13:16 for an average pace of 8:25 min/mile

• Advertisement

Saturday, August 30th, 2014

Bike

In my constant quest to find flat, safe and dog free roads to cycle on since IM Maryland is supposed to be a flat course, I decided I'd try a section of the Rileyville Loop that is at a steady grade down going one way, and up going the other. Admittedly this piece of pavement is not the perfect fit I was looking for, but it's about as close as I've come so far!

Highlights as follows:
    Loaded myself down with 5 bottles of water and Gatorade for the long adventure - and good god are 5 bottles of liquid heavy! :eek:
    After chugging up and down a few proper hills and over several railroad tracks to get to my desired piece of asphalt real estate, I committed myself to doing 10 out and backs since it wasn't quite 3 miles from point A to point B. :eek: Thank god I don't mind repetition...my 20 yard pool is point in case.
    I decided to reward myself with a break after 5 of the 10 out and backs to eat a chocolate protein bar by the stream I was following, only to realize after thinking to myself that the bar looked a little funny but tasted okay that the packaging indicated the sell by date was January 2014. :eek:
    There was hardly any traffic on this road, but I nearly ran over Bambi! Twice!! :eek:
    On about my 3rd out and back, I met a very chunky boy (around 8 years old I would guess) riding his bike...and with each passing out and back it seemed that the chunky boy gathered additional chunky boys riding their bikes, thus increasing the number of chunky boys I would pass and say hello to....and as the day dragged on and got hotter, the chunky boys one by one took off their shirts. :eek:
    The wind...omg, the wind. :eek:
    The legs....omg, the legs. :eek:
    I was totally struggling after mile 66/67...wondering what in the world was wrong with me as I was in the lowest gear and I was dragging....looking at both tires hoping maybe I had a flat tire to explain why this was so tough....then finally dawning on me around mile 73 that somehow I was in the big ring up front. :eek:

Okay, enough of the :eek: s.....pretty good ride overall, but the legs and body were toast by the time I hopped off the saddle and had to trudge my way up the long gravel driveway to my house. :eek: (:D;))

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/578717539

Actual bike: 76.66 miles in 4:20:21 for an average speed of 17.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,046 feet

Swim

A fantastically easy evening recovery swim to make the body happy. Thank god for swimming!!! :)

Actual swim: 2,000 fantastic evening yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Saturday, August 30th, 2014

Bike

Actual bike: 76.66 miles in 4:20:21 for an average speed of 17.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,046 feet

Actual swim: 2,000 fantastic evening yards

Miles? feet??? Yards???

I know you are from the new country, but you are a triathlete - imperial measurements are the preserve of hairy-legged, running types...

Once I translated all the numbers, seems like a good weekend of training!

Looking in good shape for your maiden voyage...

Sunday, August 31st, 2014

A quickie update as I have a rare social engagement with friends this evening....

Bike

The plan was to get 40 miles in today....but because I wanted to have a little downtime to myself this afternoon, I broke the 40 miles up into 20 miles before work this morning, and 20 miles immediately after work this morning.

The first ride started before the sun had come up. I was on the road by 6:30, but it was a comedy of errors all the way around with this first jaunt - I had difficulty getting my feet clipped into the pedals, I lost my flashing light that I clipped to my rear bottle cage and had to go back and retrieve it, turned off my Garmin when I hopped off my bike to pickup the flashing light (that was still flashing in the dark, thus very easy to find) but forgot to turn my Garmin back on until several miles later, was nearly ambushed by a rogue squirrel, had a close call with 3 large deer, and I totally scared the bejesus out of two young cows that were grazing near the road which in turn scared the bejesus out of me because I didn't notice them since they were black and it was still semi-dark out. Crazy damn ride!

(this data is incomplete....)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/579785653

Did basically the exact same ride as the first one, but without any of those issues above. Legs tired. I was looking forward to being done so I could chill the rest of the day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/579785707

Actual bike - 2 x 20.89 miles = 41.78 miles for the day!

Swim

An easy recovery swim in the heat of the day! Good grief it was hot out!!! In fact, it was too hot to go barefoot on the brick deck. !!!

Actual swim: 2,000 recovery yards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    Miles? feet??? Yards???

I know you are from the new country, but you are a triathlete - imperial measurements are the preserve of hairy-legged, running types...

Once I translated all the numbers, seems like a good weekend of training!

Looking in good shape for your maiden voyage...

Aren't IMs measured in miles in the US? :p

Aren't IMs measured in miles in the US? :p

Yes....and bumper stickers with "140.6" are a hot commodity. So....do you guys not refer to an IM as "140.6"???

• Advertisement

Monday, September 1st, 2014

Bike

With the holiday weekend upon me, this was to be 3 days in a row chock full of cycling!! The goals were: 80 miles Saturday, 40 miles Sunday, and 80 miles today. However, I was having a bit of a tough time mentally heading out on this 80 mile journey today. A combination of being semi-tired, cycling alone, and knowing the route I'd be taking would be familiar and repetitive (as opposed to new and exciting) made me become a bit introspective (translation: why the hell am I doing this?) and in need of a few incentives to get my @ss in gear. Incentives were: I perked myself up by wearing the outfit I'll be wearing at IM Maryland, I promised myself a Snickers break at the halfway point, and I had a bottle of Old Dominion Root Beer chilling in the refrigerator to be consumed upon my arrival back home. :) I'm definitely a carrot kind of gal!!!

Okay, the ride.....I was 5 bottles strong again since I knew it was going to be a long, hot ride. I figure the extra weight should only make me stronger, right? And, well, all was going pretty well until I decided to take my Snickers break after 5 out and backs of that semi-flat-with-an-up-and-down-grade section of road I did on Saturday. You see, I wanted to take my break by the stream, which was on the left side of the road, but I was cycling on the right side of the road (we do that here)...so I crossed the road, clipped out of my right leg, came to a full stop, then fell very hard to my left....all because my left leg was still clipped in. :o I landed on top of the Black Cat - specifically, my ribs hit either the handle bar or the arm rest, causing me immediate pain and the inability to breathe.....and in my bit of a panic, my thought process went something like this: OMG!...TURN OFF THE GARMIN!!!....broken ribs, punctured lung, how much time have I got until I'm out of air?.....jackyback....oh god, I can't not finish my ride....just lay still and try and relax to see if I can breathe. So I laid there on my back for a bit, not a single car came by (not many vehicles on that road, that's one reason I like it), and eventually I was able to sit up. But still in quite a bit of pain. However, I managed to eat my Snickers bar :) and down a half a bottle of Gatorade....and after a bit of a debate with myself, I figured I might as well see what I could do...might as well see if I could continue on. So I did. Long story short, certain movements and positions elicited a good bit of pain, so I tried to avoid them. Crossing railroad tracks and coughing was not a pleasant experience. My breathing was with a bit more effort. My side extremely tender. But once I felt like I was not doing myself additional harm, I made the decision to finish the ride....to finish the long weekend of cycling....and to get 200 miles in on the Black Cat in 3 days. And I did.

There are two Garmin links to this ride because I accidentally "saved" my data after only 3+ miles while at a stop.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/580553554

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/580684093

Actual ride: 83.31 miles in 4:47:58 for an average speed of (you do the math!) and an elevation gain of 3,684 feet

Swim

I really wasn't sure I'd be able to manage this recovery swim due to the bike injury to the ribs....but I went very slow, and it was okay. There is definitely discomfort when I swim, but I really wanted to see how much damage I had done, and I really wanted to shake out the cycling from the legs and body. Not sure where this leaves me with my ribs. Obviously I am hoping nothing is broken, and my gut tells me nothing is. Fingers crossed I've just bruised myself. I suspect I'll have a better idea in the morning if I have cause to worry.

Actual swim: 2,000 very careful yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ouch! Fingers crossed any injury isn't too bad. If its any consolation (and I doubt it is) there's not a huge difference between treating bruised or broken ribs. Hope it isn't too painful today.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Another broken hoochie! (Well, just bruised we hope). It sounds like you are going to get up and get on with it anyway. Hope you feel ok today.

And I have this tee... you need one as well!
    tee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Wow I hope the bike is ok. I'm sure you'll be fine :D That said be careful, don't want you backing out of your first IM at this late stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A few tender ribs didn't seem to do Trig any harm. Woman up!

(Well done on finishing it out)

Nice touch with turning off the Garmin, you could have gone with moving time as well though in event of any further crashes.

Jackyback????

catweazle wrote: »
    A few tender ribs didn't seem to do Trig any harm. Woman up!

(Well done on finishing it out)

Nice touch with turning off the Garmin, you could have gone with moving time as well though in event of any further crashes.

Jackyback????

One of my cats decided to walk across my chest last night while I was sleeping......OMG!!! :eek: That woke me right up!

Jackyback.....I thought of him because he got a few cracked ribs during his IM swim last year. That's all. His description of how it felt was swirling in my mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How are your ribs today? I hope it's nothing too serious. When does taper start?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How are your ribs today? I hope it's nothing too serious. When does taper start?

I'm quite sore today, but I think if I had broken anything I'd be in much worse shape than I'm in. Breathing is still a bit more of an effort than usual, but I'm guessing it's just from the general trauma and not that I've a leak in my lungs pumping the air out of me like a flat tire. ;)

Taper is supposed to start next week...but I am currently in negotiations to try and salvage my 18 mile run that was planned for this week. Apparently injured ribs and running does not always make great bed fellows.

Ouch ! That does not sound good. Hope things are better today. So now you have two choices:

Rational mode: I have a lot of work invested. Let me let this heal and not aggravate it, and maybe focus on low intensity work, gentle swimming, recover. A couple of days step back will not make much difference.

or the DD mode:

Yeahhhhh .....let's push this and see how much it hurts, woohooh !

To quote a psychiatrist we knew : Just because it hurts does not mean it is good for you. So allow yourself time to recover this time !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

...but I am currently in negotiations to try and salvage my 18 mile run that was planned for this week. Apparently injured ribs and running does not always make great bed fellows.

It might be wiser to re-read your log and see all the solid training you've done. I think fully recovering is more important than an 18 mile run

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ouch ! That does not sound good. Hope things are better today. So now you have two choices:

Rational mode: I have a lot of work invested. Let me let this heal and not aggravate it, and maybe focus on low intensity work, gentle swimming, recover. A couple of days step back will not make much difference.

or the DD mode:

Yeahhhhh .....let's push this and see how much it hurts, woohooh !

To quote a psychiatrist we knew : Just because it hurts does not mean it is good for you. So allow yourself time to recover this time !!!!
    pgibbo wrote: »
    It might be wiser to re-read your log and see all the solid training you've done. I think fully recovering is more important than an 18 mile run

Ugh!! There are just way too many reasonable (and very wise) people around here!!! ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I had cracked ribs before- its not something you can salvage much from. If it hurts when you're breathing its probably cracked. Rest and painkillers I'm afraid. Only you know what you're going to do, but running an 18 miler on cracked ribs is very short term thinking IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Oryx wrote: »
    Another broken hoochie! (Well, just bruised we hope). It sounds like you are going to get up and get on with it anyway. Hope you feel ok today.

And I have this tee... you need one as well!
    tee.jpg

It is a great source of amusement in our house that Mr Stew did in fact stop his Garmin before having his heart attack :-)

DD, I will put the child of Prague out, chase some magpies, cross fingers and toes.... BUT you are definitely to take it easy over the next few days....
    See above posts ^^^^^^^

Dory, go over to my log. Go back a few weeks and read all the sensible advice I got from YOU as well as everyone else. Take that on board. And then come back here and consider that 18 miles. Or rather, don't consider it. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing. But we know you have the work done. You just need to realise it.

Okayokayokay......there will be no 18 mile run tomorrow night. Agreed. I will def take today and tomorrow easy to give things a chance to heal....may test out a teeny-tiny easy little trot either tonight or tomorrow to assess the damage....then play the remaining few days of the week by ear.

On a side note...(since I was asked about this earlier today, it's now on my mind).....my bloods came back, and the only real issue was my iron - it was low. So for me the correlation seems to be getting stitches while running (which is so uncharacteristic!) and low iron. Obviously I had other clues prior to the stitches (see posts regarding massive meltdowns and hissy-fits :o), but the stitches stopped me in my tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Feic that, go to Iron Hoochie's log and SIU Buttercup!!

Seriously though, bin the running, nothing to be gained that complete rest wouldn't gain faster. Your tank is full, spend some time waxing the bonnet ;)

Looking forward to tracking the hard hard hoochies.

2014 will be the year of broken hoochies rocking it anyway :D

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014

Swim

Was originally planning on doing my two recovery/easy runs and a swim that I normally do on Mondays, but with the blatant peer pressure gentle guidance of my boards peeps (who needs a coach??), I settled on a lunchtime swim with the hope of an easy tester-trot followed by another swim this evening. Ambitious, ain't I? However, when I found the effort to breathe during my lunchtime swim enough to make me want to stop swimming, I knew then that I was probably being too optimistic about my planned evening activities. Crap. And let's just say that after that my fertile mind started to get pretty creative about all the ridiculous things one can start thinking up when they are only 2 weeks and 4 days away from their first IM, dealing with a stupid-stupid injury (who the hell doesn't clip out??), being forced to nix planned sessions, and staring down god awful taper. :eek::( Toxic mix to say the least. So, I did what any red-blooded, neurotic IM wannabe with an imaginary collapsed lung and a full set of broken ribs would do :rolleyes:, I hauled my @ss over to the hospital for x-rays. I mean, if I can't train, I might as well put my mind to rest. :D And the good news is....drum roll please!....no breaks!!! Whoop whoop!!! :) However, the doctor qualified his diagnosis of a chest contusion with the statement that there could still be a fracture, but none showed up on the radiographs. Until proven otherwise, we're going with no fractures. Yay me!

So, I'll take it easy another day, then we'll see how I feel after that. I'm hoping with Marthastew's Child of Prague and epic magpie chasing, that I'll be fit as a fiddle and ready for a long run by Thursday. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 not so wonderful yards

So, I'll take it easy another day, then we'll see how I feel after that. I'm hoping with Marthastew's Child of Prague and epic magpie chasing, that I'll be fit as a fiddle and ready for a long run by Thursday. :)

**Sigh**

If you lived in ireland youd still be waiting in a&e right now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

And the good news is....drum roll please!....no breaks!!! Whoop whoop!!! :) However, the doctor qualified his diagnosis of a chest contusion with the statement that there could still be a fracture, but none showed up on the radiographs. Until proven otherwise, we're going with no fractures. Yay me!

That is really good news ... and the bike is definitely ok ? ;)

Advertisement