Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hearing voices

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

A bit of a strange topic maybe.
    I was in the middle of thinking about something philosophical and I realized I hear my thoughts as a voice. My own voice. Like a sound in my mind.
    It's something I've always had, but never really acknowledged properly or questioned.
    I always thought that this was my way of thinking. I think everyone does this though right?
    So I did a quick search for inner voices etc.
    http://whatdidyoudowithjill.com/recognize-listen-inner-voice/
    This was interesting.

A lot of the time I have conversations with myself, a back and forth, when I am in deep thought. I ask questions in a voice and I get replies and answers I hadn't thought of before.
    Is this just my own thoughts, or could it also be my way of communicating with my unconscious? Or is that the same thing? haha
    Maybe the one asking questions is my conscious mind and the one coming up with answers or intuitions is my unconscious?
    A lot of the time I will hear the answer and not know why. I will then have a conversation of questions and answers to explain the why and I understand something new(as a theory or idea).

An example of a conversation.
    Me: maybe so and so means this..
    Other ME?: Ahh.. but what about when so and so happens?
    Me: oh yea.. right, so it has to be either so and so etc.

Pretty much like a conversation between two people.

Possibly just a way to use language to think?
    I am wondering if auditory dyslexia is playing a part. I also mix up letters and numbers a lot, so probably the other form of dyslexia too.

I was hoping someone here could point me to some answers.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The most insightful and brilliant piece I have read on the phenomena of 'hearing voices' is a chapter in Thomas Szasz's The Meaning of Mind: Language, Morality, and Neuroscience. Here is a review but the chapter on schizophrenia and auditory hallucinations was revelatory for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's perfectly normal. There are at least two ways of thinking, implicit and explicit.
    Implicit is when you think without vocalising it inside your head - you see a sock on the floor and bend down and pick it up.
    Explicit is when you can "hear" yourself think, "oh there's the sock I was looking for"..

Advertisement