Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Warships

• 03-12-2013 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Closed Beta begun last month it seems. Cue large queues of players willing to participate in this closed beta.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's been in closed beta for a good few months now, they only just allowed a few hundred public applicants recently. But it's a long way off still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Keeping an eye on it with some interest but am not too keen on playing CB.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it's still in alpha. Not in CB status yet.

And even at that, it's only been in alpha for about a month, maybe less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

This is in CB now, anyone playing? Been trying to get a key for a while now with no luck :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've been playing. It's decent enough so far. Gunnery needs a good bit of skill to consistently hit at range. As a pleasant surprise it's not simply a swap of tanks for ships, the classes are significantly different. This should build a solid following I expect, not WoT level, but not a flop like WoWP.

• Advertisement

Short range torpedo volleys can be immensely destructive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

WG released some pre-order premium ships last week.
    Today they have decided to include CBT access to anyone who purchases any of these 3 ships. (also granted retroactively)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Been tempted by the offer to buy into the CBT as it's not that expensive but I'm not sure I can deal with grinding and having my progress wiped twice between closed/open and go live so I'll possibly just hold on.... Also, living in Australia my ping to WoT servers is around 145 which works fine but I'm not sure if that will work as well with a game that appears to involve more long range accuracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm interested but I want a tier 8 ship and honestly I'm not overly impressed by what looks three copies at different tiers of the same thing (i.e. light destroyer, fast speed, get in close and get out again with smoke). Once I get in I'm definitely not going to be hardcore in beta beyond learning mechanics because I don't want to spoil the fun :)

Nody wrote: »
    ..............I'm not overly impressed by what looks three copies at different tiers of the same thing (i.e. light destroyer, fast speed, get in close and get out again with smoke).........
    I get the impression that this is every destroyer (so far)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tenger wrote: »
    I get the impression that this is every destroyer (so far)
    Possibly but I hate light tanks in WoT and I got a feeling I'll feel the same in WoW; give me a slow steady TD style ship any day of the week with OP gun for it's tier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The thing about the destroyers from the videos I have seen is that the destroyer could quite handily blow up the heaviest of ships with a few salvos of torps... However the destroyer is also a one salvo target for the big ships if you run aground or he guesses where you are going to be then its lights out

I have completely stopped playing WOT due to the sheer quantity of donkeys and bots and no doubt after some time this game will be full of them too so enjoy it early before the donkeys/bots make it up to high tiers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There are packs for 20 or 50 euro that get you straight into the beta now. I bought the 20 euro one that comes with a premium tier four cruiser and 3000 gold. It pretty good. I thought I would like destroyers but I'm kicking ass in cruisers. Once you get used to predicting your shots you can really clean up. Carriers are like a RTS version of the game.

I think at the moment it's pretty easy to get up to tier four so they may change that at release. I was playing the tier 3 US cruiser that comes with ten main guns and upgrades to fourteen. I got over one hundred hits on target in one game which gave me 2k xp which is half way to the next ship.

Potatoeman wrote: »

I think at the moment it's pretty easy to get up to tier four so they may change that at release. I was playing the tier 3 US cruiser that comes with ten main guns and upgrades to fourteen. I got over one hundred hits on target in one game which gave me 2k xp which is half way to the next ship.

That'd be the St Louis, they're fun things to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hate the way the fleets start so far apart, I know its necessary for maneuvering but its very tedious, twice as bad as World of Tanks.

Thargor wrote: »
    Hate the way the fleets start so far apart, I know its necessary for maneuvering but its very tedious, twice as bad as World of Tanks.

I haven't noticed this as a problem yet. Not sure what they could do about it though. Carriers being in BS range at the start would be a bigger problem.

There is a spaceship mod that looks great. I havent tried it yet but watched a video on youtube.

There is a spaceship mod that looks great. I havent tried it yet but watched a video on youtube.

That was the April Fools special it sounds like, rather than a mod.

Giving up on this I think. It's all just a bit.....boring. Also the aim assist mod is rampant and is taking all the fun out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never went back to it after the first couple of hours I sank into it. Its the same battle over and over again.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Never went back to it after the first couple of hours I sank into it. Its the same battle over and over again.

That's really just it in a nutshell in fairness. Shame but at least I didn't waste too much money on it.

Giving up on this I think. It's all just a bit.....boring. Also the aim assist mod is rampant and is taking all the fun out of the game.

Ive got into carriers now after the aim assist mod came out. They are still fun but can be boring depending on the game too.

They really need to kill off that mod. It takes a huge portion of the game away.

Ive got into carriers now after the aim assist mod came out. They are still fun but can be boring depending on the game too.

They really need to kill off that mod. It takes a huge portion of the game away.

The talk is that they're adding some detection logic, so dodgy mods/scripts will cause the server to silently reduce the damage a cheater does.

Spear wrote: »
    The talk is that they're adding some detection logic, so dodgy mods/scripts will cause the server to silently reduce the damage a cheater does.

Is this a change as they origionally came back with a response that it was okay to use the mod and people flipped out. Something that gives that big of advantage should either be inbuilt or banned.

Spear wrote: »

Technically, until it's a banned mod it's not cheating :p

Is this a change as they origionally came back with a response that it was okay to use the mod and people flipped out. Something that gives that big of advantage should either be inbuilt or banned.

Apparently it is built into the core design but the team decided not to include the option. So the 'mod' is actually just activating a game element that is still there but is not useable normally.

EDIT: in todays Mingles with Jingles it was stated that WG are monitoring the use of the mod and will eliminate its use in a later patch

They improved most of the sound effects in the last patch. I don't like the new American squadron layouts on carriers. The early tiers only can have one torp bomber squad so it looks like American carriers will be used mainly with fighters loaded as the dive bombers are still not great. I wonder how this will affect the Japanese carriers? Having a bomber layout and going against fighters doesnt sound fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Any special insider knowledge on the date of open beta for this?

None that I've seen... Don't be stressing too much. You're not missing a lot.

• Advertisement

No sign of a date yet, just the general statement that OBT progress won't be wiped at go live time. But right now there's still only two nations present.

Advertisement