Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9volt power supply for three pedals....

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

No idea if this is the right section to post this, feel free to re-direct!
    I had a little mini-mixer and a graphic eq running together, so I was using a 9 volt 'ofice equipment' switchable power supply, i'e: there's a choice of outputs, 6, 7.5, 9, 12 etc. No idea what it came from originally BTW.
    I had both units running from the PS for a long while with no problem. Then I added a booster pedal, again from the same power supply...no problem on test, and working fine when I set-up last night at a gig.
    Just before the sound-check, I saw that the PS light was off, and long story short, it was dead.
    I'll check it out this morning, but if it's blown, I'm in trouble. I have two gigs this weekend coming and I need to replace it asap. I'm down in West Cork, but I'll be in the city tomorrow.
    Anyone any ideas what 9volt PS I could use to power the three boxes?
    Was it putting three units onto it that blew it, and if so, do I have to get a proper pedal PS, or can I use the PS from something else?
    I need to sort this quickly, so can't send off for something on line.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Yeah, three pedals could well have been too much for it and blew it.

You shouldn't really be using that sort of power supply for three pedals anyway. This is the sort of thing you want.

http://www.musicsolutionsstore.com/products/Multi-Pedal-Power-Supply-2762.html?cPath=1_34_41&sid=9599253b68be10bcab62228d3079d411

I'd say a decent guitar shop should have something similar.

Alternatively, how about 3 single power supplies (better getting pedal-specific ones from the guitar shop), or even batteries? Note that guitar pedals have the pins reversed on the connector from the power supply, and plugging in a non-guitar-pedal-specific power supply the normal way around could well blow your pedal(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Boss PSA and daisy chain. Shouldn't cost much more than €30 and any guitar shop worth its salt should have one.

Could also have been the fault of the output you plugged into blowing yoiur power supply's internal fuse. On some older Boss power supplies, it's easy to changer this.

What do you mean by "little mini mixer", by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks, guys. You're telling me what I know to be true....so no more messing about. I'm off to Pro Musica in Cork tomorrow to buy the Boss PS plus daisy chain, 30 euro. Then I can sleep easy LOL!
    BTW, the mini-mixer is just brilliant if you're switching between instruments. Ki-sound MMX4, check out the Eagle Music UK website.
    (sorry, I can't do links. I'm a banjo picker.)
    I've used it for a few years and wouldn't be without it, also I've used their Artec EQ, just brilliant for the price.
    Thanks again.

Quick update and a puzzling question. Bought the proper power supply today, came home, plugged in, switched all three boxes on, everything is fine.
    Then I checked the current of the PS......2amps. Checked the 'blown' PS....5 amps. So why did it fail? Maybe just age, maybe it just wasn't made for effects pedals. (I think it was designed for office equipment according to the label underneath)....although having said that, it's been running two pedals for a good while, and didn't blow with three on test.
    But there might be another reason which I'd appreciate comments on.
    The bar we play in has one double socket, the left-hand cover screw is missing and the socket is half-loose. I always plug into the looser left-hand side, and the vocalist plugs into the 'safer' right hand side. (wimp)
    On the night the PS failed, I had plugged in ready and all was OK. Then he arrived and plugged in. It was only after this that I noticed my PS was dead.
    Is there any way that the loose socket moving around when he plugged in could have caused a problem for my PS? No fuses blew, but I just wonder if it was coincidence or what?
    I'm no sparks, so bear with my ignorance.
    And yes, I've asked repeatedly for the socket to be fixed......

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

5 amps should be more than enough. I'm surprised it was that much, actually (are you SURE it said 5 amps?). Could well have been the dodgy electrical socket. The fact that it was old might not have helped either.

• Advertisement

Yep, 5 amps.....but I should have mentioned that's it's a variable voltage output, it can be switched in stages between 1.5 and 15volts.
    It's a shame it's blown, it was a really substantial unit and quite handy.......I might do a post-mortem today. Plus I'll head down to the bar and push for an electrician to sort the socket. Thanks again for your input (excuse the pun) LOL

Advertisement