Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfers and the interpretations of rules

• 17-06-2013 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

I joined a golf club this year and as new member also new to the area, I usually have to join group who play together regularly.
    In a competition lately I played a putt from the green recently while the flag stick was in the hole.
    The ball never reached the hole, but my playing partner said that was a penalty for playing the putt while on the green with the flag stick in. I disagreed as the rule says the ball must not hit the flag stick.
    He didn't mark a penalty just said beware for the next time.
    He made me feel like he done me a huge favor when in fact I think he doesn't know the rules.
    I've seen a lot of strange interpretations since I joined but what can I do, I can't fall out with people I'm trying to befriend?
    I can only find rule 17.3 is there another rule he was referring to?

17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant
    The player’s ball must not strike:

a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;
    b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or
    c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

You'll encounter many 'rules gurus' who have an iron-clad grasp of fictional and hand-me-down rules that have never existed in the game but which they took as gospel because they were told them starting off by another 'rules guru'. Just get 'the rules of golf' and have them in your bag, or better still get the 'decisions on the rules of golf' app for your phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

^^^Exactly. I have my book in the front pocket and someone says something I say hang on until I check the book, their soon saying ah maybe, I'm not sure etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why would you putt with the flag in anyway as you risk hitting it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Yeah that was either silly or depressingly pessimistic of you!! If it wasn't attended it could not have been removed once the ball was in motion and if you hit it you would have lost the hole or suffered a two stroke penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

i have the app on my phone, which i think is the full rules book, many a dispute has been settled with it.

as for your situation, ive looked through the rules and cant see anything that says it has to be removed just that you cant hit it once you are on the putting green or once you have asked for it to be attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

its only a penalty if you hit the flag while putting on the green.

You can putt on the green with the flag left in, but since the object of the game is to put the ball in the hole, it's probably not advisable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You get this in all sports unfortunately. I play cricket and its not at all uncommon to end up in a disagreement with someone who has either misinterpreted a rule or who has completely made one up to suit themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

etxp wrote: »
    i have the app on my phone, which i think is the full rules book, many a dispute has been settled with it.

as for your situation, ive looked through the rules and cant see anything that says it has to be removed just that you cant hit it once you are on the putting green or once you have asked for it to be attended.

What's that app called mate and how much was it. That's very handy because my rule book has fallen to pieces recently.

*found it not to worry. R&A golf app it's free*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

ForeRight wrote: »
    What's that app called mate and how much was it. That's very handy because my rule book has fallen to pieces recently.

*found it not to worry. R&A golf app it's free*

There is another one, "Decisions on the rules of golf", by the R&A also, costs €12.99, I don't have it though so couldn't tell you if its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

its only a penalty if you hit the flag while putting on the green.

You can putt on the green with the flag left in, but since the object of the game is to put the ball in the hole, it's probably not advisable :)

If you are off the green and ask someone to attend the flag and then hit the flag or the person attending it then that is a 2 stroke penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

It was a mistake lack of concentration it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gin77 wrote: »
    It was a mistake lack of concentration it happens!

Could the whole situation have been resolved better with a
    "You say X, I say Y" we'll seek clarification in the clubhouse, via pro or via rule book after the round?
    It would have left you leaving that green in a better place with your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think the OP#s playing partner was just trying to make him aware of his mistake.
    I have often advised new members of the rules in a nice way so that they will not make the same mistake again and maybe in an important competition.

Imagine if a similar incident occurred again and the player said well I did the same the last time and my playing partner (name) didn't say a word. His reputation would suffer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the OP#s playing partner was just trying to make him aware of his mistake.
    I have often advised new members of the rules in a nice way so that they will not make the same mistake again and maybe in an important competition.

Imagine if a similar incident occurred again and the player said well I did the same the last time and my playing partner (name) didn't say a word. His reputation would suffer too.

The OP said that the partner was adamant that it was a penalty.
    What if same partner pulls up someone incorrectly and causes them an undue penalty?

OP should have sought clarity before returning the card, no point 2 people leaving the course thinking they're right when one has to be wrong.

You may have told the OP to be more cautious in future and fair dues but this guy was telling him he let him off a penalty. That's something to be worried about if in terms of reputation... Ie does he regularly wave the odd rule if playing with his mates.

Had a similar incident myself 2 weeks ago, albeit, all 3 of us were fairly certain of the outcome and all were in agreement when I went into an internal out of bounds. Turns out we were all right, but we were right due to the presence of a local rule not as per the rule book as we had been thinking.
    Clarified in minutes in the club house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Well guys thanks for the reply's.
    I see a lot of guys who play together regularly, old friends, fathers and sons, cousins etc., that don't necessarily enforce the rules on each-other.
    So why don't the clubs mix up the draws for competitions, wouldn't that solve it? It would make it easier for me as a new member to integrate in the club.
    Probably not that simple though as people have different schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gin77 wrote: »
    Well guys thanks for the reply's.
    I see a lot of guys who play together regularly, old friends, fathers and sons, cousins etc., that don't necessarily enforce the rules on each-other.
    So why don't the clubs mix up the draws for competitions, wouldn't that solve it? It would make it easier for me as a new member to integrate in the club.
    Probably not that simple though as people have different schedules.....

......And people like playing with the same people all the time. We tried to bring that a few years back for certain competitions and there was holy hell kicked up about it. Jimmy always played with Johnny and nothing was gonna stop them playing together. Eventually the committee backed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    this guy was telling him he let him off a penalty. That's something to be worried about if in terms of reputation... Ie does he regularly wave the odd rule if playing with his .

A very important point. I hope the advisor is aware of the consequences of Rule 1-3: Agreement to Waive Rules!

Advertisement