Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

• 02-07-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I take it this forum will probably be dead from now until FPL starts up again. But the good news is....... FPL is set to start in or around 2 weeks from now, it could even be earlier.

We'll use this thread to discuss potentially good players and team/transfer news before FPL re-opens and also to discuss our starting teams/gameplans and maybe even new features/rule changes to the FPL site (if there are any).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Looking forward to this after a good performance in the Euros FF.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The ff website looks borked this morning so thats a good sign they are working on things lol.

I took a break from all things Fantasy Football and am raring to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

Very much looking forward to this starting again. Didn't start well last season and need to make sure that doesn't happen again if I can. Still a lot to happen on the transfer market also so it will be interesting to see what goes on between now and the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

token56 wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to this starting again. Didn't start well last season and need to make sure that doesn't happen again if I can. Still a lot to happen on the transfer market also so it will be interesting to see what goes on between now and the start of the season.

Same with me. It was my first year last year and I didn't understand the concept of it at all. What I did last year was I got equal valued players all around instead of spreading my cash. I remember I "didn't want to buy into Rooney or Aguero because they cost 11 and 12 million when I could spend the cash better". :pac: If I were to give advice to myself last year..... jump on all the bandwagons at the start then gradually make changes once you see the form of certain players increase or decrease. If we have a repeat of last year.... Rooney should be in everyone's starting team.

Two big players already worth looking out for from the transfers side of things are Hazard for Chelsea and Kagawa for Man U. I reckon Hazard will be 9-10 million while Kagawa will be 8-9. I can't see Kagawa starting from the beginning of the season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

Unfortunately I can't claim it as my first year last year, just had a bad year. The mistake I think I made last year starting off was trying to predict and picking less common players who I thought were going to start off well rather than going with more established ones. So I think this year I'll start off with a team the majority of which will be established and I know should be consistent, then its just a matter of jumping on the right bandwagons at the right time. This probably means avoiding, hazard et all at start but I think its the right choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

So Sigurdsson to Spurs, could be one to look out for, wonder will he start straight away or come off the bench for the first few games.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Looking forward to this!

It's always good fun picking your original team and it always changes about a million times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Thanos wrote: »
    So Sigurdsson to Spurs, could be one to look out for, wonder will he start straight away or come off the bench for the first few games.....

I reckon hes vdv's replacement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I reckon hes vdv's replacement

I dont think initially but as the season progresses he will be fighting for a place. If he comes in at sub-8m, I'll have him on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Does anybody have a clue when fpl starts again?

• Advertisement

2 weeks or less from now. Nearly certain of that. the 20th is the latest it will open. From what I'm gathering it will be open in 7-10 days. The sky sports fantasy football game is open already though. Nothing very interesting on it though. It's basically the best players last year are highest priced. Silva is highest midfielder at 9 million, Kompany highest defender at 8 and VP highest striker at 10. The spread of cash is different in the sky sports game though. Hazard is 7.7 on the SS game and Kagawa is 7.6. Podolski is 8.5, Lambert 6.8 and Vaz Te is 6.2. these prices are nothing to goo by for the FPL game though. The pricing is messed up. Just think that VP is 10 million and compare the other prices to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Whats the story with Adebayor and Tevez?

Bale the best spurs ff option?

are you planning on having any utd players (bar rooney) in your first gw squad? Who?

Who will be the surprise early points hauler in the first few weeks ala raylor/demba ba?

best chelsea option? Mata due to a rejuvinated torres? Punt on hazard? T-Dog himself?

Swansea/newcastle aside, where are the cheap defenders coming from?

who will be your biggest gamble? You thinking of getting in your man vaz te "because nobody has heard of him" like holt last season?

if van persie leaves arsenal will that basically mean the rest of the arsenal players become an overpriced swansea?

lets start with... Who are your front 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'm pretty sure Chelsea and Reading have a double gameweek in the very first week.

Aguero, Van the man, Adebayor if everyone stays put.

I wont be having many clean sh1ts this year just like don giovanni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Arsenal will almost certainly be cashing in on RVP now. I'm not so sure it's as simple as him moving to City. Bound to be interest from Spain and Italy too.

In FF terms, I hope he moves abroad, it'll make the game more interesting than captaining him every week up front for City.

If Wenger spends well and bulks up defence and midfield with the cash he makes, I'll be looking at Podolski. In a working Wenger team, he could be brilliant.

In other news... where's the Olympic FF? :P

They badly need to fix their defence, Arsenal. That was their weak point last season, not only in FF but in the actual game aswell. I think if they get a defensive midfielder (M'villa maybe) and another good full-back they'll look a much better option for defenders this season. I don't know about everyone else but I'm really excited to have Ian Harte in my team :) Not because he's Irish but because he'll probably start at around 4-6 million (6 is very very tops I'd say, 4-5 is more realistic), he has a DGW to start off with and he is a machine for the goals and assists (for a defender). The new Leighton Baines I reckon but without the hefty price tag. Definitely one to watch, I have a lot expected of him. :pac:

As for the others... I think it'll be a Man United/Man City show again this year with Chelsea tagging along behind them... Arsenal and Spurs behind them then challenging for 4th. and I'm not just saying this because I support them..... but I can't wait to see Everton in action again, they're a good prospect especially since they finished ahead of Liverpool last season. They finished the league in better form than any other team last season, if they can keep that up, they're worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

carlcon wrote: »
    Arsenal will almost certainly be cashing in on RVP now. I'm not so sure it's as simple as him moving to City. Bound to be interest from Spain and Italy too.

In FF terms, I hope he moves abroad, it'll make the game more interesting than captaining him every week up front for City.

If Wenger spends well and bulks up defence and midfield with the cash he makes, I'll be looking at Podolski. In a working Wenger team, he could be brilliant.

In other news... where's the Olympic FF? :P

Where's the Olympics fbv(fantasy beach volleyball):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

FatRat wrote: »
    As for the others... I think it'll be a Man United/Man City show again this year with Chelsea tagging along behind them... Arsenal and Spurs behind them then challenging for 4th. and I'm not just saying this because I support them..... but I can't wait to see Everton in action again, they're a good prospect especially since they finished ahead of Liverpool last season. They finished the league in better form than any other team last season, if they can keep that up, they're worth a look.

I don't know why but Everton never ever start well so I'll probably be staying away from them until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Sky Sports 2012/13 Fantasy Game has been open since the 5th so it wont be long till others follow............

Wonder would rvp move to russia/china/uae for £400k/week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Formation wrote: »
    Wonder would rvp move to russia/china/uae for £400k/week

I doubt it. He can play at the highest level for another few years before making the move to somewhere for massive money, like Drogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Now, when logging in, it says 'this game has now finished.'. i think we could be online soon...

Looking forward to this season. Kept the head last year and didnt take too many point hits, have a better idea what im doing this season. Could be the last time i put in the effort so hope to get 2200+.

Looking forward to this season. Kept the head last year and didnt take too many point hits, have a better idea what im doing this season. Could be the last time i put in the effort so hope to get 2200+.
    you'll need an average score of about 60 points a week.
    managed 2000+ points myself in all my seasons except 1

this my 6th year now (5th on the account i'm using)....how time flies!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Checking back in for the season ahead :)

Haven't posted since last day of the season, ready to go now, can't wait for the new season to launch

So are we going to copy carlcons team and clean out our mates?

since preseason starts on the 14th (smaller teams) here are some preseason matches to look out for from the top 6........

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-02-456x303.jpg

July 14: Arsenal v Markus Liebherr Cup
    July 24: Arsenal v Malaysia XI
    July 27: Arsenal v Manchester City
    July 28: Arsenal XI v Stevenage
    July 29: Arsenal v Kitchee FC

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-03-456x303.jpg

18th July – Chelsea vs Seattle Sounders
    22nd July – Chelsea vs Paris Saint-Germain
    25th July – Chelsea vs MLS All-Stars
    28th July – Chelsea vs AC Milan

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-05-456x303.jpg

18 Jul Man.United vs AmaZulu FC
    21 Jul Man.United vs Ajax Cape Town
    25 Jul Man.United vs Shanghai Shenhua
    05 Aug Man.United vs Valerenga
    08 Aug Man.United vs FC Barcelona
    11 Aug Man.United vs Hannover 96

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-04-456x303.jpg

July 27: Arsenal v Manchester City
    July 30: Malaysia XI v Manchester City

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-07-456x303.jpg

July 21st – Liverpool v Toronto
    July 25th – Liverpool v Roma
    July 28th – Liverpool v Tottenham

pre-season-tour-schedule-of-english-premier-league-teams-for-2012-13-06-456x303.jpg

July 24th – Tottenham v LA Galaxy
    July 28th – Tottenham v Liverpool
    July 31st – Tottenham v New York Red Bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

So are we going to copy carlcons team and clean out our mates?

Haha, this season I'll be just floating in and out of the game. No more Friday nights sweating over stats and manager comments for me! So I wouldn't advise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

EDIT: posted that in slightly wrong thread.

It does seem as though the game will be opening any day now. I wont get a tap of work done once it does :)

• Advertisement

The website is "Temporarily unavailable" while they perform maintenance on it. That's the message you get after logging in. It could be open as early as tomorrow me thinks :)

Advertisement