Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. How easy is it to Underclock + Undervolt? Is it just a question of installing an app and changing settings or is it more complicated than that?

Does underclocking and undervolting have any impact on background syncing? I assume when the phone needs to sync or you unlock it the app which keeps it underclocked and undervolted releases the restriction and enables you to operate at clock speed and voltage etc until it goes back to sleep?

Is there any chance (or reports) of damaging the processor or any other part of the phone by employing this setup?

Cheers,

Ben

There is a setting within the rom to set your maximum cpu and minimum cpu. With the syncing I don't think there will be an issue. Not sure at all about the processor damage. If anything else wouldn't overclocking be worse for the processor?

I'm on it now a week and the rom is VERY stable. Not one of the 'phone switching off by itself' episodes. The battery life is much the same for me though even with the underclocking. I only get 24-30hours. The phone does ok on standby (with wifi/data/GPS off) but once I use the phone at all to play game, some surfing, check email it eats away at quite quickly. I don't leave syncing or wifi on all the time either, just switch it on when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok not sure if its a Rom issue

Using Lit'ening 3.4 with Lite'ning kernel and using Launcher Pro and have sammys theme installed

In work have the phone on silent using Beautiful Widget icon. In the sound modes I have the below ticked

Sound+Vibrate/Sound/Vibrate/Silent

I also have app vibration notifier installed and have it set for missed calls and sms

However when someone calls the phone does not vibrate only after the fact?

This a Rom or another issue? Anyway of getting phone to vibrate in silent or any app that can do this for me? Have Jkay deluxe settings also still trying to see if this has an option to do this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Had my SGSII for over a year now and finally decided to root and flash a custom ROM, mainly due to the fact after upgrading to ICS through Kies, the phone kept randomly rebooting.

Rooted and flashed the latest CM9 nightly, and I'm still having the same issue, phone keeps rebooting (strangely enough, it only seems to be when the phone is in my pocket :confused: )

Goning to do a backup and try Resurrection and see if it's any better. Liking ICS so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Had my SGSII for over a year now and finally decided to root and flash a custom ROM, mainly due to the fact after upgrading to ICS through Kies, the phone kept randomly rebooting.

Rooted and flashed the latest CM9 nightly, and I'm still having the same issue, phone keeps rebooting (strangely enough, it only seems to be when the phone is in my pocket :confused: )

Goning to do a backup and try Resurrection and see if it's any better. Liking ICS so far though.

That used to happen me. It's due to the flimsy back battery cover. What I done is folded a piece of paper between battery and back cover to stop battery from moving(Not too thick). And it worked it never rebooted since. Not even if I decided to go for a jog with the phone in my pocket.

Just tried it, cut a piece of paper the same height as the battery and width as an A4 page and folded it 4 times, still rebooting. :(

EDIT: Some users seem to be having the same reboot issues that I'm having when they have a micro-SD card installed, so I've taken mine out to see if it changes anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just tried it, cut a piece of paper the same height as the battery and width as an A4 page and folded it 4 times, still rebooting. :(

EDIT: Some users seem to be having the same reboot issues that I'm having when they have a micro-SD card installed, so I've taken mine out to see if it changes anything.

Ok all I can recommend is. Backup sms's here. And make sure you also back up your contacts as well as google backing them up just in case. All apps should be re-installed as well automatically when new ROM is installed. But also back them up with this. You should also install this. And then backup your efs in case anything goes wrong.

Then connect phone to computer and save all above files: efs/ sms backup/ app backup/ contacts. Then do a full wipe, format SD card, clear everything off phone so it is as good as new. Then I recommend installing Resurrection Remix as I'm on that and I my phone never re-boots, also keep the paper between the battery and cover as well. Also when phone is working re-install your sms and apps. Don't re-install efs, as it's just handy to have a backup, as your phone is ruined if it gets messed up when you do not have a backup. Hope that helps.

Ok all I can recommend is. Backup sms's here. And make sure you also back up your contacts as well as google backing them up just in case. All apps should be re-installed as well automatically when new ROM is installed. But also back them up with this. You should also install this. And then backup your efs in case anything goes wrong.

Then connect phone to computer and save all above files: efs/ sms backup/ app backup/ contacts. Then do a full wipe, format SD card, clear everything off phone so it is as good as new. Then I recommend installing Resurrection Remix as I'm on that and I my phone never re-boots, also keep the paper between the battery and cover as well. Also when phone is working re-install your sms and apps. Don't re-install efs, as it's just handy to have a backup, as your phone is ruined if it gets messed up when you do not have a backup. Hope that helps.
    Cheers for the advice. Now that I have the micro-SD card out, the phone hasn't rebooted once (touch wood!) so I'll keep it on CM9 for a day or two and see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Lads, how do I get rid of my custom Rom(as I'm selling the phone) and want it to be as it was out of the box?

I had litneing ROM on it for months and only flashed one rom onto the s2.

I'm unsure as to what stock rom to down and what guide to follow. Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction to unrooting the phone back to square one. Thanks.

Cheers for the advice. Now that I have the micro-SD card out, the phone hasn't rebooted once (touch wood!) so I'll keep it on CM9 for a day or two and see how it performs.
    Flashed Resurrection remix, and put some electrical tape on the cover where the top of the batter would be, and I've only had 2 reboots, so it seems it was a loose battery rather than a faulty phone. Only issue I have now is Haxsync doesn't work for some reason, tried a factory reset and re-installed it and still wont work, but it's not a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

on the latest resurrection and i have a wakelock with this service

*backup* saying android system in battery and betterbatterystats says *backup*
    any ideas what it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Don't know, but I have heard that, while it is very useful when doing lots of full data wipes, google's backup and restore (it's in Backup and Reset under settings in CM9) can be battery intensive. So it may not be worth having it checked all the time or you could uncheck and see if that gets rid of the wakelock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

on Resurrection and I am very pleased at how long the battery lasts for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

unchecked the backup and it seems to be working better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just flashed the latest Ressurection Remix rom (v2.4.1) and just like the last time I installed an RR rom, I'm getting constant error reports.

Things like
    Unfortunately Android Keyboard has stopped
    Report/Ok

Anyone any suggestions please? Running Syriah kernel. Happens on all 3 installed launchers (Apex, Go & TouchWiz). Last time it happened I just didn't even bother investigating and re-installed my fresh backup.

What ROM were you coming from? What sort of wipe did you do before installing? You need to at least wipe the Dalvik cache. If you did that, the next thing anyone is going to suggest is a full wipe.
    So I would wipe the cache and do a reboot, and hopefully it will improve.

Couldn't tell you what rom I'm coming from I'm afraid as I can't remember. Tried a few in succession and then stuck with the one that seemed most stable - gave the least issues/errors. It was a lite version that I came across on galaxys2root.com

It was
    Android Version 4.0.3
    Baseband I9100XXLPW
    Kernel Version 3.0.30-Siyah-v3. blah blah
    Build number WanamLite.Stock.XXLPQ

Will try wiping the Dalvik Cache now and re-installing it. Couldn't be bothered with the errors earlier so restored to the previous backup :D

Are people still using Siyah kernel?

I tried it before, but didn't notice any particular difference from CM9 kernel (battery life I'm most interested in).

More recently out of desperation trying to get my phone to last >12hrs of real world use, I did a full wipe along with fresh CM9 install, and got rid of any apps I don't regularly use. Still find that Android OS is consuming 50% plus of my battery.

I think that a lot of it is just how different people use the phone, I think that I probably have a lot of services syncing and that is causing a lot of the drain. Certainly haven't been able to find anything in particular doing it using betterbatterystats. Think I'll switch off location services and google's backup service as I'm sure they can't be helping

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I'm using it with Resurrection Remix, Android OS using 65%! Mine lasts a lot longer than 12hrs though, maybe about 24ish.
    Zagato wrote: »

I tried it before, but didn't notice any particular difference from CM9 kernel (battery life I'm most interested in).

More recently out of desperation trying to get my phone to last >12hrs of real world use, I did a full wipe along with fresh CM9 install, and got rid of any apps I don't regularly use. Still find that Android OS is consuming 50% plus of my battery.

I think that a lot of it is just how different people use the phone, I think that I probably have a lot of services syncing and that is causing a lot of the drain. Certainly haven't been able to find anything in particular doing it using betterbatterystats. Think I'll switch off location services and google's backup service as I'm sure they can't be helping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Turn on Show CPU usage in Develpoer Option to check what process is eating most of your battery. I have email data on, sync on, wifi on, 2G on (not 3G!) and battery went 100% -> 70% over last 11 hours. Android OS 59%, then screen 12% and wifi 9%.

If you have 12h of battery life there is something seriously wrong unless you have wery weak signal and data on (I have -95dB now)

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Turn on Show CPU usage in Develpoer Option to check what process is eating most of your battery. I have email data on, sync on, wifi on, 2G on (not 3G!) and battery went 100% -> 70% over last 11 hours. Android OS 59%, then screen 12% and wifi 9%.

If you have 12h of battery life there is something seriously wrong unless you have wery weak signal and data on (I have -95dB now)

Cheers that's a good idea. I would believe you except that if say I'm down to 20% at this time, and I switch to 2G, and mobile data off, wifi off, then it just doesn't drop at all. So this is why I think it is stuff syncing.

I'm probably using my phone more than you as well as I have a much higher screen percentage and lower wifi, despite having wifi on all the time
    OS 50%
    Screen 17%
    Google services 12% - hence me switching off what I mentioned above
    Wifi 4%
    Mobile standby 4%

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me where I can find the USB Utilities on Ressurection Remix?

It used to be in Settings -> more

But it's not there for this ROM :(

Before you uninstall Siyah try this. Install No Frills CPU Control, set governor to smartassV2, set I/O scheduler to sio and leave min/max at 200/1200. This improved battery life for me, there are other governors you can use to extend battery further but at the expense of performance.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Before you uninstall Siyah try this. Install No Frills CPU Control, set governor to smartassV2, set I/O scheduler to sio and leave min/max at 200/1200. This improved battery life for me, there are other governors you can use to extend battery further but at the expense of performance.

Thanks, don't see the smartassV2 option for governor?

Not actually using Siyah, just using the CM9 kernel

Thanks, don't see the smartassV2 option for governor?

Not actually using Siyah, just using the CM9 kernel

Sorry I misread your opening statement. I also didn't notice much difference at first with Siyah but when I read your post yesterday I looked into it and tried these tweaks, it seems to be lasting significantly longer, the projected time is 29 hours and thats with screen on for 1h:35 so far, wifi & 'radio' also on for 13h:35. With that kind of usage I would be under 24h normally.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I also disabled 'Location & Google Search' and 'Google's location service' in Location Services during this test.

Well I'll see how it goes, I've set it to conservative on governor, and sio

The 'radio' means just that your phone is connected to (or trying to be) the network, i.e. not in airplane mode -I'm sure you knew already

Well I'll see how it goes, I've set it to conservative on governor, and sio

The 'radio' means just that your phone is connected to (or trying to be) the network, i.e. not in airplane mode -I'm sure you knew already

Yes I just put it in quotes in case some newbie thinks it is an FM radio :)

Uh-oh......

Just updated CM9, and then flashed Siyah kernel before rebooting.....

Stuck on splash :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Uh-oh......

Just updated CM9, and then flashed Siyah kernel before rebooting.....

Stuck on splash :confused:

How long have you left it? It can sometimes take a few minutes to go to the unlock menu.

If that's not the issue, I'd imagine you should still be able to boot to recovery and wipe and reinstall (after redownloading the zips, just in case).

Grrr no recovery :mad:

And I don't have a PC, so going to have to meddle with Heimdall

• Advertisement

Think I can boot into download. Will give it 15mins trial to see if it will boot properly.

Advertisement