Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wix URL Question

• 16-10-2014 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm interested in using Wix to build a site for myself as I have seen another person I know use it to make his own website.

However, he has a URL address with wix included in the title, something like "name of website.wix.com"

Can I use my own URL with a wix designed website? I wouldn't like to have wix included in the URL and would prefer my own domain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You can do this at one of the non-free pricing schemes. However, it's poor value and the output quality from wix is poor, very poor. My advice is to avoid wix at all costs and use something better like WordPress. A search for wix around these parts will back this up to a certain extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

tricky D wrote: »
    You can do this at one of the non-free pricing schemes. However, it's poor value and the output quality from wix is poor, very poor. My advice is to avoid wix at all costs and use something better like WordPress. A search for wix around these parts will back this up to a certain extent.

Thanks. Does wordpress allow you to use a url of your choice?

If you have it hosted on your own account at a hosting provider, you can have your own domain name like www.mysite.com which is what you are referring to. (A URL is the domain name and the path to the page/resource; ie. the stuff after .com/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

buy/rent the domain name of your choice, and point it at your hosting.
    If you are not sure what is involved it is probably easiest to get your domain and hosting from the same provider.
    Many/most hosting companies have an "easy" install for WordPress Just DON'T use the default database and login names.
    Once WordPress is installed you will have access to loads of pre-designed themes many/most free, the pay ones mostly come with support usually via a forum.
    "Plugins" will give you extra functions, i.e. contact forms,
    For security I would recommend you install a plugin called WordFence immediately

If you have it hosted on your own account at a hosting provider, you can have your own domain name like www.mysite.com which is what you are referring to. (A URL is the domain name and the path to the page/resource; ie. the stuff after .com/ )

You have to pay for domain names right?

• Advertisement

You pay an annual fee for domain names but they usually cost very little, usually less than €10 unless you go for a .ie which is around the €25 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Wix. Is. Horrible.

And ridiculously limited in what it does. As most people here have said, self-host and run your own website using whatever CMS you like. I've done a lot of migrations away from Wix for clients. And they are incredulous when I say to them that I effectively have to rebuild their site from scratch. Because there is nothing reusable in Wix code; it's all proprietary for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Minjor wrote: »
    I'm interested in using Wix to build a site for myself as I have seen another person I know use it to make his own website.

However, he has a URL address with wix included in the title, something like "name of website.wix.com"

Can I use my own URL with a wix designed website? I wouldn't like to have wix included in the URL and would prefer my own domain.

Like most people have said, I would avoid using Wix and migrate to Wordpress. For someone with no experience it is easy to use and there are tons of videos on Youtube for example that will help you along. Even from a SEO perspective there is simply no comparison between Wix and Wordpress. There are loads of great responsive themes you can get to suit any business that are completely free or for very little investment. Go to Themeforest and it will give you an idea of what is available. Good luck with it.

Any opinions on Weebly?

I should have pointed out earlier I'm not really serious about coding websites, at the moment I'm looking to quickly create a simple, decent looking website for promoting music lessons that I'm hoping to run soon.

Nothing complicated, maybe some photos, a bio, and contact details.

WordPress on your own hosting is the best way forward for you.

• Advertisement

WordPress on your own hosting is the best way forward for you.

On the wordpress site it asks you to set your own address. Can I choose one of these and then switch to my own domain address later?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 niallweb1

Minjor wrote: »
    Any opinions on Weebly?

I should have pointed out earlier I'm not really serious about coding websites, at the moment I'm looking to quickly create a simple, decent looking website for promoting music lessons that I'm hoping to run soon.

Nothing complicated, maybe some photos, a bio, and contact details.

weebly is just as bad as wix, use wordpress, buy a domain, buy hosting starter pack with a company, use the quick install for wordpress and then login to your site there are hundreds of tutorials out there, just have a browse and see!

Advertisement