Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leftie guitarist woes.

• 24-09-2014 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Leftie guitarist woes.

I’ve tried playing right handed and I do it very well at this stage. I’ve tried left handed but with normal stringing.

I’ve also tried changing the stringing on a right handed guitar and changing the nut and the bridge and then using the controls backwards. And yes I have also tried turning the ****ing thing upside down and totally scrambling my brain. And restringing a right handed guitar means it is CONSTANTLY falling out of tune every 5 secs.

And playing on a right handed guitar makes some chords impossible G springs to mind.

But I have never had a true left handed instrument. Any advice on one?

I am pretty ambi in life anyway. But still ...

I can do right handed for years I literally felt I was getting a work out when I played. I just wonder would a true left handed instrument be a lot better?

Is it worth searching on ebay for a leftie guitar for comfort or should I just continue playing rightie?

I probably have this weird over exaggerated fantasy of how much better I could be :-P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Just get out and try one! There's a few crappy black lefty guitars you can try out in town in the usual places

I'm right handed and play guitar left... I can barely even hold a guitar when I tried to play righty... Do what's natural I say I know for sure I'd never be as good if I forced myself to play righty, but everyone is different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

if you CAN play righty then Id recommend that you do that

Mark Knopfler and Gary Moore both managed OK as leftys playing righty......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm lefty and play right-handed. Best decision I made. I am what I've seen described as 'multi-handed' - I do different things with different hands but not equally. It didn't really make a difference to me when I started.

I would stick with right-handed guitar. There's so much more variety and I doubt you will play much better as a lefty given that you already play well as a righty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Lucky your not stoned to death in the town square. Leftist freaks.:D

Seriously though, it always seemed a bit unfair (I know, tooling costs etc.) charging an extra 10-15% for lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I'v always bought righty guitars (well 2) and restrung them left. Is this a bad habit and does it have bad consequences? I don't think iv ever played a purpose made left handed guitar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Is this a bad habit and does it have bad consequences?

Are you happy with this arrangement? That's all that matters. As long as the guitar is adequately set-up for this, of course.

Advertisement