Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whaly boats

• 02-10-2014 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

What's peoples opinion on these (whaly boats). I'm considering the whaly 435 as a replacement for my Shetland 535. I need something durable, low maintenance and capable. Completely different styles of boat, I know, but all I used the Shetland for was day tripping anyway.

Has anyone seen one in the flesh? What are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've never come across them, but if you're looking for that style of boat you could also consider a Pioner http://www.pionerboats.co.uk/ Very capable little boats and built for a tough environment. I think there's a dealer up north too for brand new stock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think they are the unbreakable flask of the boating world :D low maintenance go anywhere do anything and not give a crap type of boat, they are used a lot as tenders towed behind bigger boats as you don't have to worry if they bounce off the transom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I'd love a pioner Viking but my budget is too limited I'm afraid. That was part of why i was looking at the whaly - it looks like a boat I'd hang onto as a run around when I get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Why are you wanting to change from your Shetland? What are you doing that makes you want to change from it?

Why are you wanting to change from your Shetland? What are you doing that makes you want to change from it?

No reason in particular. I sold it some time ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

No reason in particular. I sold it some time ago now.

Can you tell me some more about the Shetland? Did you ever take her out into the sea, if so, how was she? Did you only dare risk the sea in the finest of weather conditions?

Any particular flaws in her design? Anything to look out for if someone was to buy one?

Can you tell me some more about the Shetland? Did you ever take her out into the sea, if so, how was she? Did you only dare risk the sea in the finest of weather conditions?

Any particular flaws in her design? Anything to look out for if someone was to buy one?

They are fine inshore. Semi cathedral hull so get up to plane easily and are stable. A lot of them are old now and even though they are heavily laid up in grp they can suffer with osmosis. Lots of scruffy ones about and should be picked up for peanuts sans engine.

Advertisement