Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent GP Advice Dundalk.

• 28-09-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 MoonPrismPower

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Dundalk for a couple of years now and never really had any serious medical, concerns until recently.
    My current Doctors who both work in the same clinic don't seem to be hearing me or be really bothered. It's extremely frustrating. Every time I go I feel rushed out and no concern for me. I need to have several tests done for several issues but my GP refuses to get the ball rolling. I've had the same test done several times and the results have always been bad but they won't send me for any further tests or even tell me what could be the problem.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their GP and can you give me and advice or refer me to a really good GP that does extensive tests and seems like they actually care. . .

I'm very anxious about all this, I seem to be in limbo, just nothing seems to be getting done about my health concerns.

I appreciate any help or advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You can change your gp. Also look in to private clinics for the tests you want done

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MoonPrismPower

tenifan wrote: »
    You can change your gp. Also look in to private clinics for the tests you want done

Yes of course I can change my GP. That's a possibility that I'm already thinking of. My question was can anyone recommend a good GP and have they been in this situation before and how they handled it.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to see a private doctor or pay for tests in a private clinic. I'm a medical card holder and currently unemployed.

Thanks for the help though . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Van Delightful Thumb

You can't just switch GPs if you're on a medical card. Plus, we are not in any position to say what GP would carry out what tests, given your symptoms. I could tell you my doctor is excellent and will always get necessary tests done in my case (which he does) but that could turn out to be the doctor you already go to. Many GP books are full and they are not taking new patients anyway. I find it odd that neither of the doctors in the clinic are up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

In a lot of cases its not the doctors fault... tests have to be sent off to a laboratory/expert and based on that the doctor may send you on to a consultant or more tests... its this that can cause huge delays. my doctor sent off tests and eventually sent me on for further tests in drogheda... 6 months later there still wasn't any further along. in the end i lost patience and had to go private... within a month I had tests done and a diagnosis and a treatment... It cost me a fortune but i have peace of mind in that i now know whats wrong but i'm not on a medical card...

my point is that the public health system is stretched to the limit. I only recently got a letter telling me i was on a waiting list to see the same consultant... almost a year later... oh and I'm still waiting on one test result that was done over 9 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

As far as I was aware you can change GP, but there is a process whereby there is an application (or justification) form to be filled. This is possibly affected by availability of an alternative as mentioned but you will likely get a change but not necessarily to the surgery of choice. Try local HSE offices for info or C.A.B.

Im sure everyone here can give an opinion on who or who not to go to but i reckon it will be each to their own tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement