Minister to introduce new online copyright legislation - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-12-2011, 00:11   #1
r_mac

Minister to introduce new online copyright legislation

The Irish Times sez:
Quote:
THE GOVERNMENT is set to tackle illegal downloading of music and films in January by plugging a gap in the Republic’s laws that allows internet users access to sites that “pirate” this material.

Minister of State for Enterprise Seán Sherlock is to publish an order early in the new year that is expected to allow music publishers, film producers and other parties to go to court to prevent internet service providers from allowing their customers access to pirate websites.
Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar. I'm wondering if the same measure can be adopted in this case, or whether one would need to connect to a VPN or TOR instead. Any information would be appreciated...
Advertisement
20-12-2011, 00:58   #2
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mac View Post
The Irish Times sez:

Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar. I'm wondering if the same measure can be adopted in this case, or whether one would need to connect to a VPN or TOR instead. Any information would be appreciated...
The present block of ThePirateBay by Eircom, is probably using the same method as will apply in other cases. Using a proxy gets around it ......
20-12-2011, 01:49   #3
phileeoonskee

Very worrying trend, considering sopa's being passed in a few short hours. It's circumventable, but it still criminalises the everyman.
20-12-2011, 09:56   #4
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileeoonskee View Post
Very worrying trend, considering sopa's being passed in a few short hours. It's circumventable, but it still criminalises the everyman.
I am not sure about the 'criminal' aspect of it ....... if I access thepiratebay for instance, I do not believe I am doing anything criminal, even though the site is blocked by Eircom.

....... or do you mean they are moving the 'copyright infringement acts' into the criminal sphere?
21-12-2011, 09:18   #5
Blacknight
Verified representative

Send a message via AIM to Blacknight Send a message via MSN to Blacknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by phileeoonskee View Post
SOPA is still being debated and discussed. It looks like nothing is going to happen now until the new year
Advertisement
21-12-2011, 11:52   #6
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknight View Post
SOPA is still being debated and discussed. It looks like nothing is going to happen now until the new year
I understood they were bringing it back up again today in some form of special session ....... did not pay very much heed to it to be honest ..... but recall that some thought it would be delayed until new year until this was announced .....
21-12-2011, 15:57   #7
Blacknight
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
I understood they were bringing it back up again today in some form of special session ....... did not pay very much heed to it to be honest ..... but recall that some thought it would be delayed until new year until this was announced .....
Last I heard was that this morning's session was cancelled...
21-12-2011, 15:58   #8
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Last I heard was that this morning's session was cancelled...
Yes ..... sorry, my info was not current .... was coming back to correct my post ..... it is postponed until Jan apparently ...
21-12-2011, 22:54   #9
Blacknight
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
Yes ..... sorry, my info was not current .... was coming back to correct my post ..... it is postponed until Jan apparently ...
Don't worry about it

Some of us are tracking this very very closely, as it has very big ramifications for our businesses
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-12-2011, 13:55   #10
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Don't worry about it

Some of us are tracking this very very closely, as it has very big ramifications for our businesses
Speaking of which ...... I read today that GoDaddy have reversed their stance on supporting SOPA ...... it would seem to be as a result of customers moving from their service ......

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/23/god...supports-sopa/

Just checked ...

http://support.godaddy.com/godaddy/g...ition-on-sopa/

Last edited by Johnboy1951; 24-12-2011 at 14:13.
09-02-2012, 20:13   #11
MrGarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mac View Post
Does anyone know how this measure will be implemented on a technical level? I am aware of a similar block in Denmark, but this can be circumvented simply by changing the DNS settings on your PC to OpenDNS or something similar.
Is Eircom not doing something similar already with the block of TPB?

I don't know if theres some sort of packet-sniffing going on but I'm on Eircom using OpenDNS and still see the block in place if I attempt to connect to ThePirateBay. Not sure how this is possible since I have OpenDNS servers only in my router config and I have set up the ethernet connection manually on my computer also using their DNS servers, yet a quick traceroute diagnostic to OpenDNS shows this:

Quote:
1 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1)

2 b-ras2.cld.dublin.eircom.net (159.134.155.4)

3 ge-1-1-8.pe1.cld.cld-dbn.eircom.net (86.43.246.129)

4 tenge-2-1-1.core1.bdt.core.eircom.net (86.43.252.213)

5 tenge-1-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net (86.43.253.82)

6 ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net (86.43.244.194)

7 gi0-2.rtr1.lon.opendns.com (195.66.225.70)

8 resolver2.opendns.com (208.67.220.220)
A bit off topic from Irish SOPA I realize, but still pretty relevant in the grand scheme of things. Maybe there is simply a problem in my setup.. however I can't see where it could be.
09-02-2012, 20:16   #12
Johnboy1951

Quote:
A bit off topic from Irish SOPA I realize, but still pretty relevant in the grand scheme of things. Maybe there is simply a problem in my setup.. however I can't see where it could be.
Not in your set up ..... TPB is blocked at Eircom ...... regardless of DNS addresses you use.
Thanks from:
29-02-2012, 23:37   #13
Johnboy1951

Well the new SI has been signed ...... now the 'fun' can start ....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion