Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a passport to get into France?

• 17-07-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Evening,

Just a quick question, fellas. I hopefully will be travelling to France for a potential career change in the next 10 months, I'm just wondering will I be able to use the GARDA Age Card, or will I have to bring my valid passport prior to getting on the flight and entering the country?

-Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

delta-boy wrote: »
    Evening,

Just a quick question, fellas. I hopefully will be travelling to France for a potential career change in the next 10 months, I'm just wondering will I be able to use the GARDA Age Card, or will I have to bring my valid passport prior to getting on the flight and entering the country?

-Thanks!

you will need your passport for sure going to france, it's only the uk that some airlines will leave you use other i.d's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes.

Even the uk I think you need your passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

delta-boy wrote: »
    Evening,

-Thanks!

You will need your passport for travel to France both at check-in and again at French border controls when you arrive there.

The Garda age card is of no use for travel purposes and can not be used for any travel, it's purpose is to state that you have reached the legal age to purchase alcohol in Ireland of 18. It is not a National ID card like issued by many European Countries which is valid for travel within the EU, however Ireland nor the UK issues a National ID card so we have to use our passports. The UK scrapped their ID card when the tories came to power last year.

Perhaps if you are thinking of emigrating to France you may be able to get yourself a French ID card which would allow you to travel without a Passport in the EU, however i'm unsure if they issue them to non-Citizens or not. However you will need your Irish passport for travel to all countries world-wide except the UK as we have the common travel area, in which case only Valid photo ID is required, eg. an Irish or UK Driving Licence, ironically though despite the common travel area Ryanair require the use of Passports on all their flights even Domestic Irish ones!

Advertisement