Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I have a sky+hd box. I can receive all the channels to which I have subscribed to, but tonight I do not know why but I cannot view Channel 4?!

I have looked at channel 4+1 and there is a programme on and for some reason the movie after it, is not available to viewers in ROI, like its not something I haven't seen before but what's weird is both programmes before and after are viewable. I just don't understand why?

When I used to have cable TV, I had no problem with it. So this makes no sense.

Can anyone clarify as to why this has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Both working fine for me with HD box. Im just watching the end of Predator2 on C4+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

hi quick question.

I'm moving from Galway to Donegal and have my sky+ subscription until November. Can I move everything up with no hasle and set the dish up myself with dishpointer.com or will I have to contact sky to send out a technician to take down my dish and another one to set it up in Donegal. Also will this cost

Or am I just better of cancelling my subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

emt16 wrote: »
    hi quick question.

I'm moving from Galway to Donegal and have my sky+ subscription until November. Can I move everything up with no hasle and set the dish up myself with dishpointer.com or will I have to contact sky to send out a technician to take down my dish and another one to set it up in Donegal. Also will this cost

Or am I just better of cancelling my subscription
    You just need to inform them I believe. Fill in a few forms, put things down in writing.
    http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/moving-home/

They'll happily let you do all the legwork yourself. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cirse

I apologise in advance as this question may have been asked a million times. I'm new to boards and just looking for advice. Movin into a new house and I'm torn between Sky or NTL. I need to get a phone and broadband with NTL anyway, but a few people have said Sky is better for TV. Any opinions???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

cirse wrote: »
    I apologise in advance as this question may have been asked a million times. I'm new to boards and just looking for advice. Movin into a new house and I'm torn between Sky or NTL. I need to get a phone and broadband with NTL anyway, but a few people have said Sky is better for TV. Any opinions???

It's UPC now,not NTL.

Best option is get broadband from UPC and your TV from Sky,it actually works out cheaper plus Sky's tv offering is way better than UPC.
    Check out fatcheese for offers regarding Sky-you get enough money back to cover about 9 months subscription.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or go for Freesat. It is FREE, you only pay for the equipment. You will need to be able to get Saorview as well, which is also FREE.

(You still need a TV licence, but you need that anyway).:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭makavelithedon

Looking for some advice/feedback about sub-contracting sky digital work from sierra communications. Rates, maximum age of vehicle...any other relevant information would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks in advance...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Barlivia

I live in ROI and i'm a sky customer and was wondering if anyone knew what settings or codes i need to enter to receive channel 5 in the uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Barlivia wrote: »
    I live in ROI and i'm a sky customer and was wondering if anyone knew what settings or codes i need to enter to receive channel 5 in the uk?

Channel 5

Freq: 10773
    Pol: H
    SR: 22000
    FEC: 5/6

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Barlivia wrote: »

Hi Barlivia, all the UK fta channel codes are on the "Sticky" on the front page of this discussion forum - 3rd one from top of page - UK FTA TUNING GUIDE - BBC/ITV/C4/C5/HD & MORE!

Its quite a useful guide, as not all BBC or ITV regions show the same movie or show at the same time. For instance BBC 1 London will usually have a different programme to BBC1 Northern Ireland during a political show - "Spotlight" etc.

Tune Channel 4 into your Sky box "extra channels" to avoid blue screen stating "this programme is not available in your area" at certain times on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

RKQ wrote: »
    Hi Barlivia, all the UK fta channel codes are on the "Sticky" on the front page of this discussion forum - 3rd one from top of page - UK FTA TUNING GUIDE - BBC/ITV/C4/C5/HD & MORE!

Its quite a useful guide, as not all BBC or ITV regions show the same movie or show at the same time. For instance BBC 1 London will usually have a different programme to BBC1 Northern Ireland during a political show - "Spotlight" etc.

Tune Channel 4 into your Sky box "extra channels" to avoid blue screen stating "this programme is not available in your area" at certain times on Channel 4.
    Good shout there, I get fed up with this "this programme is not available in your area". Putting it into the 'extra channels' part is a must, only problem is can't record though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

hi there just wondering if anyone knows if there is an extra charge for upgrading to sky plus?? i have the old sky box but with full subscription, does anyone know how much of a price difference there is for sky plus without the HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if my dish is rusty and about to collapse, how much do i pay for new dish and fittings, and if i want to upgrade my box, do i have to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

Pay who? This isn't a Sky-only forum, here's another rusty dish story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

goat2 wrote: »
    if my dish is rusty and about to collapse, how much do i pay for new dish and fittings, and if i want to upgrade my box, do i have to pay
    If you mean sky, then they're probably gonna charge you at least €100 for the pleasure.

I imagine most here will suggest you try bluffing a cancellation with them.
    Together with your desire to upgrade to HD, they may be more accommodating. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Looking for a combi box for Saorview and FTA Satellite.

1. AFAIK no combi box has been approved for Saorview, Is this right?
    2. Will your Sky Satellite need to be moved for FTA Satellite or is it simply "plug and play"?
    3. What combi boxes are available?

Thanks and sorry for the repetitive questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Looking for a combi box for Saorview and FTA Satellite.

1. AFAIK no combi box has been approved for Saorview, Is this right?
    2. Will your Sky Satellite need to be moved for FTA Satellite or is it simply "plug and play"?
    3. What combi boxes are available?

1. At the moment that's correct. Saorview's Mary Curtis said at the Ploughing Championships last week there will be one in due course.

2. When you say Sky satellite I assume your're referring to the satellite dish and not the satellite in orbit. If so just plug and play.

3. Some links
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/combined-digital-receivers.html
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite_and_terrestrial_receiver_if_you_do_not_have_a_dish_and_aerial.html#aArivainstalled
    http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=HD_receivers1&ActinicSID=169473ef04f4057c0f9e6dad8445de4c
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=category&path=63
    http://astraltv.ie/combo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    2. When you say Sky satellite I assume your're referring to the satellite dish and not the satellite in orbit. If so just plug and play.

I want full control of the satellite orbiting space. :D

So if I buy a Combi box what are the repercussions? (Other than world domination!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

quick question:

Is there any way to get a terrestial (saorview) signal from a sky dish....

Ie any way of connecting a co-ax cable to a dish and then into a soarview telly and get digital terrresterial tv?

(i think the answer is no...but running a co-ax cable around the house and into the kitchen seems like a nightmare...)

would I be better off just using the old sky box in the kitchen and connecting that to the LNB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

neacy69 wrote: »
    running a co-ax cable around the house and into the kitchen seems like a nightmare...

...would I be better off just using the old sky box in the kitchen and connecting that to the LNB?

So there's already 1 cable going to the kitchen?

You can combine satellite & terrestrial signals with one of these & split them at the receiver end with a second.

You'll need an aerial for Saorview of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    So there's already 1 cable going to the kitchen?

You can combine satellite & terrestrial signals with one of these & split them at the receiver end with a second.

You'll need an aerial for Saorview of course.

Sorry need to explain myself better. I have an aeriel on the roof and the sky dish on the back of the house.
    I want a new point in the kitchen for a new saorview tv....it will be quite a bit of work to get a point from the aerial to the kitchen but I can easily run a cable from tke sky dish to the kitchen...
    So i was asking if I can run a co-ax cable from the dish to the kitchen and get terresterial signal or is it only for satellite?

(im pretty sure its a no, so i might just get an onother sky box and use it for FTA channels)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The dish is only for satellite, you'll need a feed from a UHF aerial for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭t c

Don't know if you are sorted or not. But another option if it is easy to run from Sky dish to kitchen would be to mount an aerial on the Sky pole, only about a tenner or so, and then use what Peter suggested in thread 113.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Is there any way to get 7 day EPG on MVISION HD-300 COMBO NET Freesat box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

im sure this has being asked many times but is there any way to add other channels to the main stream of channels. sky hd btw

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

im sure this has being asked many times but is there any way to add other channels to the main stream of channels. sky hd btw
    See here. You will need a UK card afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Can anyone recommend an External Harddrive for use with a Freesat box? It has a USB port at the front.

It is this box Freesat Sagem HD Box as shown here
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Freesat_and_Free_to_Air_receivers.html

I have read it should have a separate power source, The prices I have seen are from 90ish euro up to 200 euro all for 1 TB. Any help?

Would 500 GB be enough? Ohh so many questions:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I have a SKY+ box in the living room (subscription) and an old sky box in the kitchen (non subscription). I want to swap the boxes around so I get my subscription channels and sky+ in the kitchen and vice versa but I notice that the lead between the point in the living room and sky+box has two terminations but the other one has only one. How can I swap these around and will I have much rewiring to do at the points and in the attic ? They're both driven from the same dish.
    thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement