Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Week 7 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Ah that was thoroughly enjoyable. Would have liked to see the kick go through but it was a proper back and forth battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

eagle eye wrote: »
    My heart:eek: Kick blocked, we beat the Jets. Delighted but not exactly over the moon after that.

My sentiments exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Chris Jones helps to make amends for last year ;)

Christ, how do I sleep after that!
    Heart still pounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    Give Danny Amendola the game ball, I know it would be unfair on Vereen but feck it, he deserves something for two big plays tonight.

So that's $16 million a play then......:pac:

poldebruin wrote: »
    Ah that was thoroughly enjoyable. Would have liked to see the kick go through but it was a proper back and forth battle.

Best Thursday night game of the season. The way they all should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Still don't understand why the Jets didn't run for the 2pts, but glad they didn't.

Playing poorly and winning beats playing well and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Still don't understand why the Jets didn't run for the 2pts, but glad they didn't.

Playing poorly and winning beats playing well and losing.

From a Jets point of view I'm not sure how to rate that defeat.

Positives were no interceptions for Geno, he looked assured for much of the game and there was no "holy sh*t what is he doing" moments.

The run game was good, but it was expected with Mayo out. Hopefully we will have a proper split of running/throwing, it makes Geno look much better.

It was good to see Cumberland and Kerley back in the passing game and making plays

The bad though is we still gave up 7 penalties(only 1 penalty for Willie Colon!), 2 costly ones in the red zone.

40 minutes possession and the way we moved the ball was great, but the inability to convert in the red zone cost us.

It really makes it tough on how i want to see the rest of the season pan out. I think we finish 5-11/6-10 but I really don't know if I want that.

In Exile wrote: »
    From a Jets point of view I'm not sure how to rate that defeat.

Well you had a kick to beat the Patriots on their own patch, in a game where you outplayed them for long stretches. As you mention no turnovers. Geno Smith put together an amazing drive in a high pressure situation, and looked good doing it. I would take a lot of positives out of it.

I know it's a win now league, but Smith is only in his second year and showed glimpses tonight of what he could be in the future for the Jets. This season is surely over, and hopefully they'll stick with him the rest of the year and give him a real chance for next year.

While the defence gave up some crucial scores, they also got some stops when it was needed. Not much pressure-wise from the front 7 on Brady, and only rushing 3 on the TD to Amendola on 3rd and 19 (goal) was an awful decision. Maybe a Jet fan could correct me but it seemed very un-rex-like.

The NFL is so funny though, Tampa who can lose 56-17 only to beat Pittsburgh the next week and follow it up with the 45-17 drubbing by Baltimore.... you can only really get a sense for a team if they show it week after week so for me the jury is still out on the Jets.

I'm going to get to 1000 posts if I have to talk about the Jets to myself for the rest of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

poldebruin wrote: »
    I'm going to get to 1000 posts if I have to talk about the Jets to myself for the rest of the morning.

I think I didn't use enough words when I was typing! you more or less summed up what I was talking about!
    What I meant by unsure what to make of it is we can put in those performances. Compare that to San Diego and they are worlds apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Is it just me or is there far more of an effort made to block end of game field goals? I know they're often longer and might have a lower trajectory but CBS showed Folk's earlier kick as good from 58 and there was no question of a block. I wonder if they try as hard on long ones in the middle of the game, especially interior guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

matthew8 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there far more of an effort made to block end of game field goals? I know they're often longer and might have a lower trajectory but CBS showed Folk's earlier kick as good from 58 and there was no question of a block. I wonder if they try as hard on long ones in the middle of the game, especially interior guys.

I'd say you are right that they tried harder on the that play, its only natural as its the game deciding play.

You also notice the coaches "try" harder too as 6' 8" Solder was in on the play. He normally wouldn't be in on FG teams.

Love that it was redemption and revenge for Chris Jones after the controversial call on him that cost us the game against the Jets last year. Football is a funny game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What u don't get about field goals is why teams don't go for 60+ targets more often. Now last night the Jets managed that last drive almost perfectly up to the attempt (I think going short over the middle twice with no timeouts and about 1:05 was a mistake personally) so I don't mean in that instance. But often times you see teams go for a deep pass like a Hail Mary or even just run it up the middle of there is seconds left in the half and they are on their opponents 45 (so a 62 yarder), yet so so often you see a 50+ yards now only clear the posts, buy hit the nets still above the crossbar level another 10 yards back. Sure, some of the older kickers may struggle here (unless they fancy their punter to have a crack) but for me any team whose kicker has a strong leg should automatically be going for a FG if there are under 5 seconds in the half and they are anywhere beyond the 50.

Obviously going for then regularly from there is not a great idea as it gives back really good field position, but in those situations I could never understand why it isn't an automatic no brainer.

Love the way sport can often bring redemption for an athlete. Last year against the Jets, Chris Jones gave up the penalty on FG ST's that cost us the game. And this year he blocks the FG and a picture speaks a thousand words.....

6Fv4dJ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kryogen wrote: »
    New England Patriots
    Miami Dolphins @ Chicago Bears
    Minnesota Vikings @ Buffalo Bills
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Indianapolis Colts
    Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    New Orleans Saints @ Detroit Lions
    Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers
    Seattle Seahawks @ St Louis Rams
    Atlanta Falcons @ Baltimore Ravens
    Tennessee Titans @ Washington Redskins
    Kansas City Chiefs @ San Diego Chargers
    New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
    Arizona Cardinals @ Oakland Raiders
    San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos
    Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Just in to pick the Pats now, will get back to the rest....Not 100% confident in that but hopefully the O line will hold up

Close in Foxboro but a win is a win! On to the rest

Buffalo Bills
    Cincinnati Bengals @ Indianapolis Colts
    Detroit Lions
    Green Bay Packers
    Atlanta Falcons @ Baltimore Ravens
    Washington Redskins
    Dallas Cowboys coin toss time...............was going with Cowboys, now I think Big Blue............**** it, stick with Cowboys
    San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos
    Pittsburgh Steelers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Rex Ryan punched a wall after the jets loss last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see Rex Ryan punched a wall after the jets loss last night.

And today gave up a conditional pick for Percy Harvin from the Seahawks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Had the Patriots on Thursday.

Minnesota Vikings @ Buffalo Bills
    Indianapolis Colts
    New Orleans Saints @ Detroit Lions
    Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers
    Baltimore Ravens
    Tennessee Titans @ Washington Redskins
    New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
    Denver Broncos

Still not sure on Steelers/Texans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

What early kick-off game do you reckon will be best to watch? Me and a friend, neithrr of whom kniw much about the sport, trying to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

What early kick-off game do you reckon will be best to watch? Me and a friend, neithrr of whom kniw much about the sport, trying to choose.

Personally I'd go for Bengals V Colts. The Colts are a very good team, the Bengals are solid and I think it would be a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Personally I'd go for Bengals V Colts. The Colts are a very good team, the Bengals are solid and I think it would be a good game.

Yeah, that or Green Bay V Carolina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah, that or Green Bay V Carolina.

Thats the one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice start for the Ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jordy Nelson

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

two turnovers changed the refs in the Titans game, never get the decisions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Packers are smelling great thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Give redzone a shot if ya just want to be entertained, you'll see all the action from every game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans get the ball in the skins redzone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Anyone else having trouble with gamepass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nope gamepass is working great so far.

Advertisement