Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would a wireless doorbell interfere with a wireless router?

• 25-03-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Would a wireless doorbell interfere with a wireless router? Or vice versa? Also how long would the batteries last?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think most wireless doorbells use 433MHz rather than the 2.4GHz or 5GHz that WiFi uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Alun wrote: »
    I think most wireless doorbells use 433MHz rather than the 2.4GHz or 5GHz that WiFi uses.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, I have one.

However after several rather useless ones that had trouble making the connection through the doubleglazed (metal core) front door, I got a Seimans, which was very expensive but had good sound. The first one was returned as it stopped working on a regular basis, the replacement is now due to be thrown out for the same reason. It is not working more often than it is working. Even the instructions say that you have to re-boot it sometimes by removing all the batteries and replacing them, in fact at this stage it has to be rebooted every time it is used!

So I have to get yet another doorbell. (I have been told by successive electricians that short of running a surface wire, taking the floor up or chasing the walls the length of the hall, it isn't possible to have an electric bell.) Or maybe a door knocker.

looksee wrote: »
    No, I have one.

However after several rather useless ones that had trouble making the connection through the doubleglazed (metal core) front door, I got a Seimans, which was very expensive but had good sound. The first one was returned as it stopped working on a regular basis, the replacement is now due to be thrown out for the same reason. It is not working more often than it is working. Even the instructions say that you have to re-boot it sometimes by removing all the batteries and replacing them, in fact at this stage it has to be rebooted every time it is used!

So I have to get yet another doorbell. (I have been told by successive electricians that short of running a surface wire, taking the floor up or chasing the walls the length of the hall, it isn't possible to have an electric bell.) Or maybe a door knocker.

What were the makes of the bad ones? What's the battery life of the decent one like?

A door knocker sounds like a good idea. ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had an electric doorbell for a long time, till it died (the wiring 'went') Then a couple of cheapo ones i cant remember the make of. I have been doing a bit of research and apparently a lot of the doorbells have this problem of working for a while then just giving up, regardless of price. The other problem was that the earlier ones were too quiet, including a plug-in that barely could be heard at all.

I just went to order a Friedland (around £70:eek:) from Amazon but they would not post to Ireland, then I lost interest. I seriously think i might go with the door knocker.

The current Seimens one I cant say what the battery life is like as I keep changing them to try and get it to work. I don't really think its always that the batteries are gone though, its something wrong with the unit. Or it eats batteries.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    ...I seriously think i might go with the door knocker...

+1 Door knocker. ^_^

Advertisement