Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S4 Battery Bulge = restarts/shutdowns/failure

Options
  • 04-12-2013 1:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I've had my S4 since late August/September and have hated it since I got it. Mostly because of random shutdowns and restarts that I put down to software.

Finally went to fonemenders in sandyford yesterday, and I didn't even say a word when I walked in. Just had my S4 in hand, the tech took it, popped the battery out and said that the battery is faulty and put my name on a list.

If you are having any reboot issues at all, take out your battery and examine it, it may have a bulge/not be flat and need replacement. This is provided free under warranty provided you can get to a Samsung repair centre.

Apologies if this has been discussed, just thought it was worth mentioning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Alanstrainor - it was mentioned already here, I rang Samsung and they told me it may take 7 to 10 days as I am not living in Dublin, or maybe overnight if I hand it in in person.

Did they give you any time frame on how long they want the phone for? did you leave the phone with them or will they call when they can take it ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah i did look through the S4 thread, but tbh it's far too large to be of any real use. So thought I'd post it up here as a seperate issue.

I just got my replacement, I'm quite close to Sandyford which is where fonemenders are based, so I was able to just pop up there and get a swap. They simply took the old and popped the new one in. As easy as that. I don't think they are posting batteries as they require the old battery to send back to Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Yeah i did look through the S4 thread, but tbh it's far too large to be of any real use. So thought I'd post it up here as a seperate issue.

I just got my replacement, I'm quite close to Sandyford which is where fonemenders are based, so I was able to just pop up there and get a swap. They simply took the old and popped the new one in. As easy as that. I don't think they are posting batteries as they require the old battery to send back to Samsung.

Did they take the phone for any period of time?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Did they take the phone for any period of time?

Nope. Walked in, and the tech there just swapped the battery there and then and handed me my phone back. Let hope it stops all the issues I've been having with my S4!

To be honest, I'm going to see how I fair for the next while. If I get any unusual behaviour I'm just going to have to take it back to them and get them to repair the device.

I've been having issues since I got the device pretty much, restarts, shutdowns, call issues, general bugginess etc. My worry now is that this battery has had an impact on the rest of the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

I rang up Fonemenders, Clondalkin branch and they told me need to leave the phone with them for a couple days for them to test the battery. Wonder why wasn't the same in Sandyford branch. Where abouts in Sandyford is Fonemenders?

danwhite88 wrote: »
    I rang up Fonemenders, Clondalkin branch and they told me need to leave the phone with them for a couple days for them to test the battery. Wonder why wasn't the same in Sandyford branch. Where abouts in Sandyford is Fonemenders?

Beside the Luas in Sandyford, handy to get to if you have a car, or want to take the luas from town.

Advertisement