Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

galah wrote: »
    hooray! So Wolftone Bridge a bottleneck AND Westside as well, at the same time. This must be a cruel joke.

No. O Brolcháin and Gormley deliberately release Dept of the Environment funds for these frequently frivolous works in such a way that the co-ordinated chaos that ensues make scycling in Galway 'more attractive'. O Brolcháin knew about this well in advance....did he tell anyone ??

The corpo are stupid and arrogant enough to try to spend the funds with no regard for road users and the welfare of the population. This work could easily be done at night because there is a 6 hour low tide period EVERY night is there not ???

If someone dies in the gridlock and chaos while in an ambulance these green sociopaths will no doubt blame the dead person for not being green enough and having too great a carbon footprint :(
    Pedestrianising Salmon Weir Bridge maybe?

Now the you mentioned it they are closing Newtownsmith ( where Born is) to install a cycle lane aren't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No. O Brolcháin and Gormley deliberately release Dept of the Environment funds for these frequently frivolous works in such a way that the co-ordinated chaos that ensues make scycling in Galway 'more attractive'. O Brolcháin knew about this well in advance....did he tell anyone ??

Was just going to post that this could be the golden age of cycling in Galway. :D

Was just going to post that this could be the golden age of cycling in Galway. :D

The very best of luck to those who normally cycle in Galway what with the skiddy leaves on the roads for the next 6 weeks and the general october damp and crap visibility allied with dirt spraying everywhere from all the roadworks thereby making it hard to see a cyclist :D

Forcing inexperienced cyclists onto the road in October is sociopathic to my mind....or is that "smart" and "green" like everything else these fuks touch ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Now if they were smart about going about this it would be done at Night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Storm 10 wrote: »
    overhead walkway opposite Dunnes Stores. I would prefer that to crossing that road

That traffic light system at DS Westside and Fine Wines across the road is a Joke, when the lights are RED and clear for you to cross the road the Traffic in the offshoot area ( Turning to Bus Stop from Shantalla ) still think they can drive even though the lights are red, If i had €1 for the amount of times i have seen drivers think they are in the right only to hear the buzzer going indicating its safe to walk id be a VERY rich person..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I live on Siobhan McKenna road and it's going to be a nightmare from Monday onwards, it's hard enough already to get out of my estate with people using the road as a rat run. Those 'Traffic Calming Islands' are a joke they should be removed while the road works are going on, someone will be seriously injured or killed trying to protest their 'right of way' or trying to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Heh. I'd completely forgotten about that road and the traffic calming islands that were installed. I gave up trying to drive on that road at all. The amount fuckwits that pay no attention to the yield signs and think that just because they are driving faster or driving a bigger car/van/truck they can drive straight through used to be unreal. I can't imagine things have gotten any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Now the you mentioned it they are closing Newtownsmith ( where Born is) to install a cycle lane aren't they.

Ya that was one of the GTU's daft idea's. Crazy stuff.

Are they actually going ahead with this??

Check out this link:
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/bike-week-gtu-continues-to-generate-controversy-and-bad-publicity/
    Here are some quotes
    "
    At the start of Bike Week 2010, the City Council announced a “contraflow” cycle lane in Newtownsmyth, a street that already has two-way traffic and where there was therefore no logical requirement or demand for contraflow cycling.
    "
    and
    "
    There are various one-way streets in Galway where this could have been piloted with minimal changes to road layout. Instead, the street at Newtownsmyth was made one-way for a week and a “cycle track” was implemented by bolting an unsightly row of traffic cones into the street surface.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

... was implemented by bolting an unsightly row of traffic cones into the street surface.
    "

Talk about half-assed. Looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

The council has announced the upgrade of the Westside park.

Public meeting : 5pm - 9pm on Wednesday 6th October 2010 at Westside Community Centre

The proposed development plan: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/300910_01.pdf

For more info: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/300910_01.html

• Advertisement

• From Monday 04/10/2010 for 3 weeks, the road between the Browne R/about and Lower NewCastle Rd will be one way only towards the city centre. No parking allowed. See map: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/300910_01.pdf

• From Monday 11/10/2010, reduced traffic lane widths will be implemented along the Bishop O’Donnell Road from Browne Roundabout (Corrib Park Roundabout) to the junction with Circular Road. This section of carriageway will remain open to two-way traffic for the duration of this phase of the construction works. It may however be necessary to restrict turning manoeuvres at some of the junctions onto this section of carriageway.
    Full press release at: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/300910_02.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

From the full press release:

• a one way system[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]will operate on the Seamus Quirke Road, from the Browne Roundabout ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Corrib Park Roundabout[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]) to the junction with the Lower Newcastle Road to facilitate drainage construction works. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]I presume they are going to unblock/upgrade the drains on this road. This is very welcome because a lot of water builds up on one side of the road when there is even a slight bit of rain; really annoying if you are a pedestrian because you're always worried about getting splashed with muddy water.[/FONT][/FONT]

KevR wrote: »
    From the full press release:
    a one way system[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]will operate on the Seamus Quirke Road, from the Browne Roundabout ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Corrib Park Roundabout[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]) to the junction with the Lower Newcastle Road to facilitate drainage construction works. [/FONT][/FONT]

They resurfaced and relined this entire section in 2009 , now they propose to dig it up again the useless cnuts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Yes Sponge Bob,i was thinking the same thing-that did they not just dig up that road last year.What a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The only bit of sense I heard from the City Council was that they are looking at removing the traffic calming on the Siobhain McKenna road to allow two way unrestricted travel for the duration of the works.

But its mad digging up a new road again what a waste of money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can get in touch with them and ask why they are wasting public money
    roads @ galwaycity.ie

The answer you'll get back is to facilitate drainage.
    I'm taking bets that within 2 months of the road being resurfaced, some utility company will dig up a part of it again and do a patchwork repair on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes they have really outdone themselves with this. Took 45 minutes go drive from knocknacarra to Mahers shop this morning where we had to abandon any hope of going further. Leg it out of the car and run to try to make it into town for 9 p.m.

they couldn't do it during mid-term
    they couldnt' do it in the summer
    they just HAVE to do it when everyone needs to be on the road at the same time.

I am losing patience and hope every day with this country - I really think it has gone down the pan with the shower of idiots running it both locally and nationally - the laughing stock of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The upgrade is going to take 14 months so the start date makes no real difference. Even if they started during the summer or during a mid-term it would still run through to when schools + colleges are back.

Also, how bad was the traffic and was it actually because of the upgrade works? I walked along part of the SQR/BOD road 4 times today and traffic seemed no worse than usual (it's usually bumper to bumper and slow moving; today certainly wasn't as bad as the day a few weeks back when there was a hit and run in Terryland which brought the whole city, including the SQR/BOD Rd to a complete and total standstill)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I travel this way every morning and it has been as per usual. The works arent even started yet so I don't know how they are adversely affecting the route as of yet :confused:
    Begin date is now delayed until 11/10/10 as per GCC website

I'm going to be heading home to Galway this weekend so I'll be on the outskirts of the city around 8pm tomorrow. Is the Westside traffic any worse at that time with these roadworks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

The roadworks aren't started yet! Not until Monday so traffic will be as normal.

Islands on Siobhan McKenna road are ridiculous and cause so much hassle and delays :mad:

dollybird2 wrote: »
    The roadworks aren't started yet! Not until Monday so traffic will be as normal.
    Ah okay, thanks for that. I guess the traffic will just be it's usual slow-moving self.

Actually, the road works are delayed by one week.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/071010_01.pdf

Also note, that you cannot turn right on the SQR if you come from Dunnes
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/081010_01.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MI Security

If you can cycle to work and do not need a car then I'm jealous or if this development means you can bus to work I'm delighted for you. If however you need a car this development (if you use thos road) will:
    1. Cost you time and money in the next year.
    2. Increase your carbon footprint.
    3. If you work in this area it will Deter any local spending on shopping, passing potential business.
    4. Frustrate you.
    5. Lead to angry dangerous high speed driving on either side once you get through this.
    6. Indirectly lead to accidents.
    7. Waste your time.
    8. Waste your hard earned road tax.
    9. Frustrate you when you say why didn't they allow general traffic use the bus lanes for traffic turning left.
    10. Make you write on boards . Ie ad we are not the fighting Irish we are the moaning paddies....
    Or... Does anyone know how to rub out bus lanes and make this into the only traffic decongesting development ever to work in our town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you can cycle to work and do not need a car then I'm jealous or if this development means you can bus to work I'm delighted for you. If however you need a car this development (if you use thos road) will:
    1. Cost you time and money in the next year.
    2. Increase your carbon footprint.
    3. If you work in this area it will Deter any local spending on shopping, passing potential business.
    4. Frustrate you.
    5. Lead to angry dangerous high speed driving on either side once you get through this.
    6. Indirectly lead to accidents.
    7. Waste your time.
    9. Frustrate you when you say why didn't they allow general traffic use the bus lanes for traffic turning left.
    10. Make you write on boards . Ie ad we are not the fighting Irish we are the moaning paddies....
    Or... Does anyone know how to rub out bus lanes and make this into the only traffic decongesting development ever to work in our town?

I agree with the sentiment of what you're saying but, cyclists aren't happy with the proposed development and buses will be just as caught up in traffic chaos while the development is going ahead, and when it finishes it will make little difference to them as there is no bus route which uses the entire length of this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

We dont have road tax in Ireland. The only time you pay/taxed to use a road is on a tolled road.

Like a lot of us I don't have time or energy for this but ....
    French would riot
    Greek would riot
    Irish elderly would march
    Americans would go on tv
    What do we do?

As far as us educated modern
    And... Smart economy people do...

Who knows who is on charge of this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ciaran Hayes
    Director of Services for Transportation and Infrastructure
    City Hall,
    College Road,
    Galway

FAO Ciaran Hayes
    Director of Services for Transportation and Infrastructure
    City Hall,
    College Road,
    Galway

Dear Mr Hayes,
    Can you change the development on Seamus Quirke road slightly so that general traffic as well as Buses and approved people carriers can use the proposed bus lanes?

sincerely
    me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Mr. Ciarán Hayes

Director of Services for Transportation & Infrastructure and Parks & Recreation

ciaran.hayes@galwaycity.ie

Address is publicly available on the Council website.

Advertisement