Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

I would certainly object to this proposed state visit and how dare Brian Cowen suggest that there are no obstacles blocking this from happening:mad:

I for one will be protesting if this event goes forward. With eggs or no eggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

djpbarry wrote: »
    The royal family could be done away with by the British people if they wished. But they choose not to and we should respect that.

how often do they vote on that? to compare the voting of our TDs with the royal family is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It makes me so proud to be Irish when I see fellow citizens of the republic denounce it's existence...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

aDeener wrote: »
    how often do they vote on that? to compare the voting of our TDs with the royal family is ridiculous
    It's a perfectly valid comparison - Ireland has one form of government, the UK has another, each of which may be changed by the people within those countries, if they so wish. What part of that is ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

She knew full well of the atrocities that have been put through by 'Her Forces' on this island through her tenure and beforehand. It's not a question of maturity here. It's a question of knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would have absolutly no objection to the queen coming over to Ireland.

The "War" is over, they have apologised for possibly one of the biggest atrocities of the troubles, we must move on. The city will no doubt get a boost
    in tourist revenue during her visit.

However I would object to a state of the art surveylance system ito be installed across the city for her visit and not removed after she leaves.

This is what has happened in Vancouver after the Winter olympics.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/18/bc-olympic-surveillance-cameras-robertson.html

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's a perfectly valid comparison - Ireland has one form of government, the UK has another, each of which may be changed by the people within those countries, if they so wish. What part of that is ridiculous?

please answer how often do they vote to retain the royal family?

The "War" is over, they have apologised for possibly one of the biggest atrocities of the troubles, we must move on. The city will no doubt get a boost

However I would object to a state of the art surveylance system ito be installed across the city for her visit and not removed after she leaves.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/18/bc-olympic-surveillance-cameras-robertson.html

i don't believe the commander in chief of the army who committed said atrocity has however?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

This is Ireland, not Canada. And we're broke. Our "sate of art surveylance system" is probably a few webcams and a guy with binoculars. I don't think you have much to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She can lay memorial wreaths on both Parnell and Talbot street. She seems to like laying wreaths :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

eightyfish wrote: »
    This is Ireland, not Canada. And we're broke. Our "sate of art surveylance system" is probably a few webcams and a guy with binoculars. I don't think you have much to worry about.
    It will be funded by the EU of course, the Queens visit will just be just another excuse to install it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6210255/EU-funding-Orwellian-artificial-intelligence-plan-to-monitor-public-for-abnormal-behaviour.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

please answer how often do they vote to retain the royal family?

You don't get to vote for the monarchy - bloody peasant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

While we as Irish had a bad experience with hereditary forms of government other countries such as Japan and the UK seem to feel the need for a living embodiment of the nation state, a king.

It can be seen in history that the English had a very bad experience with representative democratic government, the Commonwealth under Oliver Cromwell in the 1640's.

This was such a repressive regime where forms of entertainment such as dancing, theatre, banqueting were banned by the Puritans and enemies of the State were killed just as ruthlessly as the more infamous wars against the Catholic and Royalist Irish in 1641.

The English restored the Monarchy in limited form in 1660 with Charles II and have been progressively and gradually limiting the powers of the Monarchy since then.

It is possible that the House of Lords will be abolished in its present form and the Monarchy could be reduced in size and scope to something resembling the Swedish setup where the King goes around in a normal car and lives in an apartment very much more middle class than the British setup.

Our own experience of Republicanism has resulted in years of stagnation, child abuse, neglect of voiceless sectors of society, and too much reliance on a corrupt and careless church and is far from perfect.

If the English prefer a different system to our own we should accommodate them in it without approving or endorsing the crimes of the past. History shows the the English,Scots and Welsh suffered as much as the Irish from tyrannical rule in the past, with Transportation, land clearances, bad factory working conditions, Press Gangs for forced enlistment in the Navy, barbaric forms of Capital Punishment etc be meted out to the English just as much as to the Irish.

The big difference was the Famine, a huge economic and structural political disaster which in no small part led to the radicalisation of a substantial part of the Irish population and the eventual separation of the two countries.

There are processes in place which it is hoped will eventually lead to a closer link between the two Island nations, if the British were to allow the possibility of a Roman Catholic Prime Minister by abolishing remaining traces of Laws forbidding Roman Catholics to hold the post and other remaining prohibitions and restrictions to public office then we might get to the stage of having normal good relations with Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Bambi wrote: »
    She seems to like laying wreaths
    and distant cousins

ahh so it has never been held? unlike here where we vote for our TDs every 5 years, right i see. thanks for clearing that up. moving on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If the justification for the monarchy was purely on tourism grounds it would be worth retaining - a pity our own presidential system isn't as big an attraction. Even in the French Republic there is plenty of pomp & circumstance surrounding the presidency - it could be the same here - bring back the Blue Hussars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Hussars. Let's have less begrudgery it shows what a major inferiority complex some people have.

God you cant be serious can you? you are the one who said we must look to ourselves and the role of genealogy when appointing leaders, then listing off TDs. you were the one making the comparison. unbelievable, although certainly not surprising.....

• Advertisement

irony? hardly. you brought it up and drew the parallels initially now you are trying to refute them. typical, well actually no it isnt typical, its a wonder you are actually refuting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sleepy wrote: »
    It makes me so proud to be Irish when I see fellow citizens of the republic denounce it's existence...

An inferiority complex that this country's own media play a huge part in reinforcing on a near - daily basis. With the likes of the Indo/Sindo/RTE, we don't need an external enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Republic of Ireland is not a country?

Interestingly it isn't.
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

I remember reading a few years ago about how a Judge threw out extradition forms which had ROI on them as that country does not exist. "The Republic of" is a description of Ireland, not a name.
    Hence all the fuss over the names of the two soccer teams.

Splitting hairs ftw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

How the UK chooses their head of state is their problem, it is not for us to judge. ...
    Not being argumentative, just making a point. When did the UK vote for the queen to represent them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

maybe shes coming to give us back our land that she took

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Personally I think if she does come it:

Should be treated as a regular head of state visit, no special treatment.
    She should pay for security and whatever herself, no cost to the taxpayer.
    She should make some reconciliatory comments, visit the famine memorial and lay a wreath etc something like that.
    Expect her visit to be protested
    No addressing her as "Your Majesty"
    I would also like to hear some sort of apology for events which took place both here and in Ulster.

And she should also be made to watch Biffo eat. She will never want to return after that! He should also piss in her tea.

I would rather she stayed at home tbh. What will her visit accomplish?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Should be treated as a regular head of state visit, no special treatment.
    She should pay for security and whatever herself, no cost to the taxpayer.

But if she was treated as a regular head of state, then her security would be paid for but the Irish government, at least partially.
    Expect her visit to be protested

And this argument to take place all over the media in the build-up.
    I would also like to hear some sort of apology for events which took place both here and in Ulster.

Ah, come on.

I hope that this plays out like the English anthem being played in Croke Park. Lots of old-school nationalists giving out yards about the men that dies for our independence and then.... respect for all concerned at the actual event, and the whole country can be happy that we've moved on from all that.

PS: New posters, RTFT, stop re-posting stuff that's already been said.

eightyfish wrote: »
    And this argument to take place all over the media in the build-up.

Just as I said that... it's on Joe Duffy now.

• Advertisement

i don't believe the commander in chief of the army who committed said atrocity has however?

and thats the problem with people apologising for the past.....
    you can never apologise for cromwell or the famine. Its done. The people responsible are long dead.

hence why we shouldnt demand stupid hollow apologies, those who are stuck in a past they never lived through should get a life in the here and now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement