Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Victor, when and why did you and the other P11 people change your mind about the WRC?

I must have missed the whole turnaround.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor, when and why did you and the other P11 people change your mind about the WRC?

I must have missed the whole turnaround.:(
    While I've been a member of their bulletin board for years, I've only been a member of Raill Users Ireland for a year. I don't know the details.

PS are you strassenwolf?

Thanks for the prompt reply, Victor. It was certainly a surprise to me to read yesterday that the reopening of the line was "welcomed" by a group who had, in my opinion, very good reasons for opposing it.

I am the person who was strassenwolf. Unfortunately, I can't get back my old name, as I no longer have access to the email account I registered with. This was the closest I could get.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks for the prompt reply, Victor. It was certainly a surprise to me to read yesterday that the reopening of the line was "welcomed" by a group who had, in my opinion, very good reasons for opposing it.
    Sorry, I though you meant years ago when it was initially welcomed, but then it was realised it was a dud.

I think rail investment is to be welcomed. Delivery of a meaningful service is to be welcomed. Limerick-Galway can be welcomed, although it really pushes the numbers. However, on a strategic level the project is badly implemented and there are a myriad of other problems. There is little information on fares, accessibility, station locations (what road in the town is it on), etc.

Spot the WRC. http://www.irishrail.ie/home/maps/intercity_map.asp?field=from Hopefully it will come, but why should it be **me** doing this stuff: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764514 - I've even provided them with the map (their current website map is based on an edit I did of their own map).

http://www.railusers.ie/news/news.php?year=2010&no=3.html
    Rail Users Ireland Welcomes the Re-opening of the Rail Line from Limerick to Galway

March 28th 2010

Rail Users Ireland (RUI) is pleased to welcome the re-opening of the Limerick to Galway rail service, but serious concerns arise. Despite the many promises made to this point, the service which will be provided is not adequate, will not meet passenger needs and expectations and finally will not utilise the potential of the line to its utmost.

In that light, the redeployment of scarce resources from the engineering works on the Nenagh line which were postponed resulting in extended journey times and the consequent threatened withdrawal of compromised commuter services, of delayed signalling works on the Cork-Cobh line and finally the proposed closure of the Waterford Rosslare line to plug the financial hole of the €2.4 million per annum subsidy needed to keep the Western Rail Corridor (WRC) afloat is regrettable in the extreme.

Mark Gleeson, spokesperson, Rail Users Ireland said, "Once again passengers are faced with a substandard service as Irish Rail has failed to deliver on promises. The promised station at Oranmore is not even at planning stage. Irish Rail continue to timetable each line as if it was totally independent of all others instead of following industry best practice of building a network of connections to enable journeys." The lack of a second track between Galway and Athenry prevents connections between Limerick Galway services and Galway Dublin services at Athenry and precludes the possibility of a proper commuter service between Galway, Oranmore and Athenry.

The failure to provide a through service from Galway to Limerick Junction to enable Galway-Cork journeys, a key journey axis identified by the Strategic Rail Review significantly undermines the route. The timetabling, as is nearly always the case with Irish Rail is eccentric, with journey times of up to 2 hours 25 minutes between Limerick and Galway, poor connections and little thought as to how the WRC might form part of a greater network. If the WRC is to have any long term chance of survival, and if it is to be a beacon of hope for the re-energising of the West then these vital issues must be addressed..

RUI Calls for direct through services every two hours from Galway to Rosslare, which would form a strong link between Galway, Limerick and Waterford providing excellent connections with rail services to Dublin and Cork. Passengers need an efficient integrated rail service which takes them where they need to go at the times they need to travel for a reasonable price. Irish Rail has yet again missed a golden opportunity to implement a fully integrated regional rail network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Galway to Rosslare would lose money of course but intergrating several sparcely used services into one would surely limit those losses and open up further journey opportunities. A properly timetabled and resourced service such as this on a two hourly headway, connecting properly at The Junction with the Cork trains would be an asset to the country, even if it is a costly one.

There seems little will in IE to do things like this, so its up to our political masters to tell them to shape up or ship out.

Just look at the packed trains over the water, tghese are largely as a result of privatisation of services, I am convinced such a shake-up is necessary here before Rail can improve.

Never mind all the trainspotter-mentality ideas such as loco hauled and Mk3 coaches etc...what is needed is top quality fast clean trains run to a regular reliable timetable to attract users to Rail.The 22Ks go some way toward this, we need better versions of them and more of them.

WAKE UP IE!.....

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

There's precious little in that press release to indicate what they actually "welcome" about the reopening.

Or why they are "pleased" to welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

corktina wrote: »

Never mind all the trainspotter-mentality ideas such as loco hauled and Mk3 coaches etc...what is needed is top quality fast clean trains run to a regular reliable timetable to attract users to Rail.The 22Ks go some way toward this, we need better versions of them and more of them.

WAKE UP IE!.....
    There is nothing wrong with 071 hauled MK3's, I am sure they would take the bends & curves on the WRC a lot better than some of the more modern rolling stock. :p

Increased costs is one thing wrong...

increased running time is anothe..is the journey not long enough already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Of course I'm a West Brit.:D

Aren't we all...

I think the comment on this photograph sums up everything that's wrong with rail transport in Ireland:

"22012 was also on hand in Galway to transfer guests back to Dublin at 1605 hours and not Sligo as the destination display suggests. But maybe one day you'll again be able to get a train from Sligo to Rosslare Europort via the Western Rail Corridor. Mon 29.03.10"

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p63957153.html

• Advertisement

why would you want to do that even if there were tracks down? surely would always be quicker via Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just to satisfy the dreamers and the ITG (UK) Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

The RTE news last night said that the next phase of the WRC project (the line to Tuam) was due to open next year ... has there been some developments that we (or at least I) don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think it says a lot about RTE's resources these days that you'd probably get more realism on IRN than the state broadcaster. Basically it seems like RTE go to WOT meetings and believe every word.

As for RUI - every 2hrs Galway-Rosslare? Don't think so. 2hrs Galway-Waterford maybe, with a couple of them extended.

The 300k figure is interesting but I think it only works if you include existing services (like counting Galway-Athenry services to Dublin, or Ennis-Limerick-Dublin). 100k new boardings was the figure in the business case and that included Oranmore station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

SeanW wrote: »
    The RTE news last night said that the next phase of the WRC project (the line to Tuam) was due to open next year ... has there been some developments that we (or at least I) don't know about?

They were probably using WOT as the source of information - and they (WOT) never give anything but positive upbeat news, its all part of their strategy say it is going to happen enough times and they will make believe it it does - even thought they know the Tuam extension will not happen next year - Barry Kenny on the Radio yesterday said any further work was due to review of capital spending - The other source of information couled have been A POLITICIAN AND AS PER USUAL WITH POLITICIANS IF HIS/HER LIPS WERE MOVING AT THE TIME WE KNOW THEY WERE LYING.

Dempsey more or less repeated his comments of the last May WOT conference - use it or lose it. They won't move on this next section until the passenger figures prove that it won't work - then they will announce due to lack of need it is no longer going to happen. This has been the case that has been built in for years I just wish they had the courage to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

SeanW wrote: »

Probably just propaganda fed to RTE from WOT. An extension is unlikely to ever see the light of day,WOT got their way on Limerick-Galway,it'd be utter madness to waste capital expenditure on the white elephant part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Why isn't it possible to use Mark III wagons or even the new 22000s for the line instead of the 2700 class?

I can't imagine them being the nicest thing to spend 2 hours on.
    Do they even have toilets?
    or a trolley service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, they do.
    or a trolley service?
    Nope. They are basically commuter stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes, they do.

Nope. They are basically commuter stock.

Catering has nothing to do with the stock but is due to CIE/IE policy towards certain routes: Limerick Junction/Rosslare; Limerick/Ballybrophy and now the WRC. The ghastly 'commuter' stock which operated all services on the Connolly/Rosslare section for the last few years still had catering on certain services.

Why isn't it possible to use Mark III wagons or even the new 22000s for the line instead of the 2700 class?

I can't imagine them being the nicest thing to spend 2 hours on.
    or a trolley service?

well, were you to run mk3's you'd have to run round at Athenry, )and Limerick and Galway)...you'd need more staff to do so,it would cost even more and the train would take even longer to get there....

22Ks? I imagine there is a finite number of them available and better use can be found for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

22Ks? I imagine there is a finite number of them available and better use can be found for them.

I believe the 22Ks are stretched at the moment,there's none to spare until the next batch of new units arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Imagine if we had some rakes of unused wagons hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

There's precious little in that press release to indicate what they actually "welcome" about the reopening.

Or why they are "pleased" to welcome it.

A very disappointing Press Release, considering the work, effort and stance (and defense of same) that the organisation was traditionally associated with re. this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

yes all the best and my sincere hope that something comes of the investment we have all made in your railway.

How many times a year are YOU going to be using it do you think?

You seem to have jumped to the conclusion that I am a WOT supporter - hardly as I live in Dublin. As regards the 'your' railway, I would concede it is 'our' railway and I don't have any objection to this as 'we' already have to put our hands in our pockets one way or the other for rail transport in Ireland.

What I do support is the re-instatement of track anywhere in the country and I oppose the closing down of any of our existing rail network. For the future, it would appear that due to the eventual demise of oil, the whole transport scenario is going to undergo radical change. As a consequence of this it would be sensible in the national interest to have as much rail infrastructure in place as possible.

So whether that's North, South, East or West I'm all for it !!! :)

For the future, it would appear that due to the eventual demise of oil

Never going to happen. Collossal crude reserves are being found all the time. There is so much new oil being discovered that the oil companies cannot get the infrastructure developed fast enough to get it out of the ground. The Russians recently tapped what has been called "an ocean of high quality crude" at 18,000 feet and they may have found a couple more. "Peak Oil" was a scam invented by the oil giants to jack up the price so they could repair and replace ageing refineries.

Anyways, diesel will never run out and even here in Ireland we can make it if we have too.

And don't give me the "carbon" rubbish as the main scientists behind all that were exposed as lying scumbags cooking the books.

The only reason to open and operate railways is because people need to use them. Saying that a future shortage of oil is a good reason is the kind of esoteric guff the likes of Ciaran Cuffe comes out with while he is not hiding behind "the minister's decisions" to close rail lines.

A railway which people use will never close down. That's the only argument to make regarding rail lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

westtip wrote: »
    The new road will kill it off anyway. No doubt the 300,000 was a WOT figure, nothing will happen on the northern section now for 12 months in any event - then with a years passenger numbers the whole thing will be dead in the water.

Dead under the water, more like.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63191078&postcount=2839

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You seem to have jumped to the conclusion that I am a WOT supporter - hardly as I live in Dublin.

That's immaterial. Some WOT supporters don't even live in Ireland after all.
    As regards the 'your' railway, I would concede it is 'our' railway and I don't have any objection to this as 'we' already have to put our hands in our pockets one way or the other for rail transport in Ireland.

I certainly don't mind putting my hand into my pocket for something worthwhile that fare paying passengers will actually use. This isn't.

What I do support is the re-instatement of track anywhere in the country

Anywhere ??? Even where it makes no economic sense and road is faster and cheaper???
    For the future, it would appear that due to the eventual demise of oil, the whole transport scenario is going to undergo radical change. As a consequence of this it would be sensible in the national interest to have as much rail infrastructure in place as possible.

Our railways run on... oil
    So whether that's North, South, East or West I'm all for it !!! :)

And economics be damned? Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way, and the inhabitants of the WOT bubble will make harsh contact with reality eventually.

The really funny thing is that one of the reasons the French went for electrified TGV is because they have lots of cheap dependable nuclear power, while we are hitching our economy to expensive and unreliable 'renewables'.

Life ain't always empty.

Have to agree with the Ninja there...we should only be investing in lines for sound economic reasons and "we might need it one day" is not a sound reason to invest millions. The North South East and West bit is particularly worrying...but good news for Killibegs Schull Woodenbidge and Clifden perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

it would appear that due to the eventual demise of oil, the whole transport scenario is going to undergo radical change. As a consequence of this it would be sensible in the national interest to have as much rail infrastructure in place as possible.

Electric cars are getting better and better, hybrid cars with super fuel efficient engines the same, only a matter of time before the first efficient electric truck makes an appearance.

Nuclear fusion makes very plentiful supply of electricity.

• Advertisement

yes the scenario will change , fuel wise, but that wont alone reduce the amount of road traffic in rails favour. Something may come along to replace road travel (as the Turnpikes were superseded by canals which in turn were eclipsed by Rauilways which in turn were rendered outmoded by the motor car and Truck) What may well happen is that NEED to travel will be removed (possibly by advances in computer technology not even dreamed of)

In any case, rail will not arise to replace road travel The fundemental flaw with rail travel is that largely it doesnt go from where you are to where you want to be whereas by and large the Motor Car DOES.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement