Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KevR wrote: »
    The most incredible thing about it is that these trains are of no use to people who are living in Athenry but working in East Galway City, rather than the City Centre because there are no stations + bus connections in Oranmore and Renmore. Huge volumes of car traffic passing Oranmore on the M6 and N18/R446 DC going to Galway City Centre and East Galway City, 14 trains in each direction passing through the Oranmore area everyday and yet no station or P&R. 9,000 students in GMIT, 5,000 residents in Renmore (thousands more if you include other areas such as Mervue and Ballybane which are within walking distance to Renmore).

One of the problems its that little of the development is along the railway line, but is a considerable distance inland. Solution: de-zone any undeveloped area of the city and zone the railway corridor for medium-high density development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor wrote: »
    One of the problems its that little of the development is along the railway line, but is a considerable distance inland. Solution: de-zone any undeveloped area of the city and zone the railway corridor for medium-high density development.
    The problem is, like the DART, a significant part of the catchment is aquatic in nature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Victor wrote: »

Agree fully with what you say about development in Renmore if it were to get a station. I don't propose just sticking a station in there though (or Oranmore for that matter) and waiting for future development. See the following.

Also, if Oranmore was to get a railway station then development to the South of the town should be curtailed (land de-zoned) while development to the North of the town near the railway station should be encouraged. If Oranmore had a railway station (including a P&R and connecting bus services) it would be hugely attractive location for development, both residential and industry/business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Well, its open since earlier today. Any news on how things are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It's only the special train that's operating today - tomorrow sees the launch of public services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What's "special"? Is it the minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

JHMEG wrote: »
    What's "special"? Is it the minister?

The official launch train with the Minister, politicos and invited guests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Barry Kenny waffling on Morning Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20100329,2726845,2726846,real,209

Anf the TV report on News at One with Dempsey, "Use it or....." (he nearly said the rest.:D Colman O 'R. from West on Track also features. According to him and obviously in light of recent subsidy reports, it can be profitable if they open the rest of it and there's loads more stations. Ah well.:D

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0329/rail_av.html?2726933,null,230

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://twitter.com/irishrail/
    Lashing out of the heavens at Craughwell, but still community turning out in force http://tweetphoto.com/16294683

# Official launch train for Limerick-Galway line is on the move. Full services begin tomorrow, Tues 30th March. about 4 hours ago via UberTwitter

# Big crowds at new stations to welcome Limerick-Galway launch train. Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan + Craughwell open to public tomorrow about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

is that a picture of the 3rd class carriage ? x2_f8a31b:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

dowlingm wrote: »
    The problem is, like the DART, a significant part of the catchment is aquatic in nature :)

You may find this clip of interest - Vokes seagoing railway Brighton. The interesting part is there was only one electric cable - the return current passed via the sea ! ;)

dlllongshotlr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

trellheim wrote: »
    is that a picture of the 3rd class carriage ? x2_f8a31b:)

An oulfella with a free pass and a free Transport21 umbrella - it's almost poetic.

Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats probably the entire population of Craughwell too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thats probably the entire population of Craughwell too :D

Schools out for Easter,march all the kids down to the train station for a show of strength!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Feel a bit emotional about this today.

The first train journey I ever took was on this trainline not long before it ceased as a regular passenger service in 1976, and I can still remember being a very excited little boy going on a train, one of my earliest memories of my now-departed father.

I wish the promoters and IE well, and hope that it can be the start of a proper investment and popular usage in the whole of Ireland of public transport......

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

dowlingm wrote: »
    I noted a rumour on IRN the other day that 2700s (presumably a 2700 set and a 2750) are being painted to look like a 3 car 22K!
    Did anything ever come of this?

etchyed wrote: »
    Did anything ever come of this?

I'd imagine if it was being done then it would have been done in time for all the hob nobs today.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd imagine if it was being done then it would have been done in time for all the hob nobs today.
    Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Feel a bit emotional about this today.

The first train journey I ever took was on this trainline not long before it ceased as a regular passenger service in 1976, and I can still remember being a very excited little boy going on a train, one of my earliest memories of my now-departed father.

I wish the promoters and IE well, and hope that it can be the start of a proper investment and popular usage in the whole of Ireland of public transport......

The most touching post I have read on boards - memories of good times past !!! Best Wishes !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Barry Kenny waffling on Morning Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20100329,2726845,2726846,real,209

Anf the TV report on News at One with Dempsey, "Use it or....." (he nearly said the rest.:D Colman O 'R. from West on Track also features. According to him and obviously in light of recent subsidy reports, it can be profitable if they open the rest of it and there's loads more stations. Ah well.:D

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0329/rail_av.html?2726933,null,230

Indeed use it or lose was on the tip of his tongue. Colman O'R lived up to expectations - talking total BS, did the holy father turn out?

I read on the RTE website that they forecast 300,000 passengers pa, if it hits half those numbers I will be surprised, My guess is the "intercity passengers travelling Galway-Limerick or vice versa will be minimal. does the 300,000 refer to the new section? If not they are false numbers. 300,000 = circa 6000 per week let say 1,000 per day - five trains a day = 200 per train. this is just back of the envelope stuff, but it sounds like dreams to me. Ah well use it or lose it. The new road will kill it off anyway. No doubt the 300,000 was a WOT figure, nothing will happen on the northern section now for 12 months in any event - then with a years passenger numbers the whole thing will be dead in the water.

will the boys from WOT be able to sleep tonight? The sheer excitement of public services tomorrow - I hope the booking office opens early for all the commuters rushing in early for the season tickets....

• Advertisement

Services curtailed within 5 years and completely withdrawn within 10 years. (That's an up the anti prediction from a previous post I made.)

The BS today did absolutely nothing for rail transport in this country and sentimental posts mean feck all to simple economics, on which everything is judged.

The next few weeks will tell the tale. If Im wrong I will hold my hands up. But realistically this line is nothing more than a hobby horse excuse for public transport. I can already hear the arguments from WOT - "It will be profitable when its opened all the way to Sligo."

For me personally, today and all its pro WRC sentimental crap is a very dark day for public transport expenditure in Ireland. Thank Feck the money stopped flowing. At least now we stand a chance of putting a halt to this lunacy.

westtip wrote: »
    Indeed use it or lose was on the tip of his tongue. Colman O'R lived up to expectations - talking total BS, did the holy father turn out?

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p63957193.html

The song was entitled "Six Ministerial Plaques to Athenry"

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p63957149.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jesus, did you have to post that link? The sight of ffffing Dempsey, Frank (he who needs a whole tribunal to investigate his finances) Fahey, Ciaran 'fffng' Cuffe, Doctor John Lynch................truly stomach churning. I wonder would I get much for Dempsey's plaques on eBay? :D

lord lucan wrote: »

Just thinking,i was very surprised that IE didn't send a freshly washed 3 piece 22000 down for this mornings 'festivities',nice shiny railcars to go with new nice shiny stations. A 2700 just doesn't look new enough!:)

The song was entitled "Six Ministerial Plaques to Athenry"

http://thewanderersirishrailphotos.fotopic.net/p63957149.html

That first photo looks so stereotypical west of Ireland. I genuinely feel for the 21st century people over there that want it to belong to the rest of the country. But alas a generation still exists and holds it back.

Of course I'm a West Brit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A 4 car 2700 consist to hold all the hangers on. When will that route need another?

edit to ask:

A 4 x 2700 PLUS a special 22K to bring Dempsey back to Dublin. Banners. Plaques. Hooleys.

How many operational days of Rosslare-Waterford would that pay for? How many taxi fares for the train to depart after 1720?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I read on the RTE website that they forecast 300,000 passengers pa

Where did they get that figure? Did IE forecast that, was is it WOT?

Oh well, either way, as you said... it's an incredibly optimistic target. I reckon decent levels of "curiosity" usage at first, descending down to almost nothing when people see how impractical the service actually is. I honestly think some people want the rail service just to "have" it, rather than having any intention of actually using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The most touching post I have read on boards - memories of good times past !!! Best Wishes !!!

yes all the best and my sincere hope that something comes of the investment we have all made in your railway.

How many times a year are YOU going to be using it do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I read on the RTE website that they forecast 300,000 passengers pa, if it hits half those numbers I will be surprised, My guess is the "intercity passengers travelling Galway-Limerick or vice versa will be minimal. does the 300,000 refer to the new section? If not they are false numbers. 300,000 = circa 6000 per week let say 1,000 per day - five trains a day = 200 per train. this is just back of the envelope stuff, but it sounds like dreams to me. Ah well use it or lose it. The new road will kill it off anyway. No doubt the 300,000 was a WOT figure, nothing will happen on the northern section now for 12 months in any event - then with a years passenger numbers the whole thing will be dead in the water.

will the boys from WOT be able to sleep tonight? The sheer excitement of public services tomorrow - I hope the booking office opens early for all the commuters rushing in early for the season tickets....

Thanks for putting thiose figures on perspective....200 per train will be more like 20 on average I predict.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement