Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop tops.Do they meet requirements?

• 30-08-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,
    I have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer.
    I bought a Transporter panel van (T4 model) and have converted the interior over the last year.I have installed 2 VW genunine windows,one on the sliding door and one on opposite the side.The interior is insulated,plylined and carpeted.I also fitted a rock roll bed,12 volt electrics,lesuire battery,side cabinets with 2 gas hob.

I have the van insured as a commerical and its DOE'd annually.When I put it through the DOE I remove the interior cabinets and bed.I would like to finish the conversion and have it down on the log as a camper.Im aware that the inside height is one of the requirements of a camper.Im don't like the idea if a hardtop conversion so I have been looking at a pop top conversion.Are pop tops a grey area or do they meet the requirments for camper van conversion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unfortunately, VRT guidelines have recently been tightened to specifically exclude pop-tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

peasant wrote: »
    Unfortunately, VRT guidelines have recently been tightened to specifically exclude pop-tops.

You might not even have to fit a prop top.

Call the VRT office and tell them what you are thinking of doing ....

I think you'll find that you can VRT it but you'll have to pay 36% of the open maket value. Fight hard and show that the van is only worth half what they think have print outs.....

I don't know about the road tax you might get that for 88 not 100 % sure. That could be your biggers probelm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BenFoldsFive

You might not even have to fit a prop top.

Call the VRT office and tell them what you are thinking of doing ....

I think you'll find that you can VRT it but you'll have to pay 36% of the open maket value. Fight hard and show that the van is only worth half what they think have print outs.....

I don't know about the road tax you might get that for 88 not 100 % sure. That could be your biggers probelm.

Thanks Spacehopper that sounds good.Any recommendations as to which VRT office to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I could have this wrong, but if the van already has an Irish reg surely he doesnt need to go to the VRT office and the height restriction falls. Does he not just have to go to the motor tax office instead, have a sink and cooker in it to qualify as a camper. (Probably am wrong):rolleyes:

Btw, why do you remove everything for the DOE? Have taken our vans to the DOE garage several times and they said they arent interested in whats inside.

bijapos wrote: »
    I could have this wrong, but if the van already has an Irish reg surely he doesnt need to go to the VRT office and the height restriction falls. Does he not just have to go to the motor tax office instead, have a sink and cooker in it to qualify as a camper. (Probably am wrong):rolleyes:

Btw, why do you remove everything for the DOE? Have taken our vans to the DOE garage several times and they said they arent interested in whats inside.

My local DOE garage siad I would have to remove interior as it is registered as a commerical.

• Advertisement

Found this on a previous thread from coldsurfer:

Here's the reply from Dublin South County VRO

Dear X

Thank you for your e-mail.

(A) Camper vans more than 3 tonnes unladen weight when weighed at an approved weighbridge, under customs supervision, will qualify for VRT at a flat rate of €50.00. A full tank of petrol/ diesel is allowed at time of weighing.
    (B) For campers under 3 tonne, they may qualify for the 13.3% VRT rate if they meet the following requirments:
    (1) The FLOOR to CEILING height must EXCEED 1.8 metres (70.87 inchs) at its lowest height.
    (2) The camper must have a cooker with at LEAST 2 cooking rings.
    (3) A sink unit must also be in the vehicle.
    (C) If the camper is under 3 tonnes and does NOT meet the criteria set out at "B" above then the FULL rates of VRT will apply.
    These are as follows:
    The following is a broad outline of the regulations regarding the importing of NEW & USED vehicles into the State from another EU State:
    VRT is payable by BANK DRAFT, CHEQUE or LASER CARD (limit of €1500.00) made payable to the REVENUE COMMISSIONERS. If payment is made by Cheque the cheque presented must be in the name of the owner of the vehicle. Driving Licence or Passport must be presented as I.D.
    Vehicle Registration Tax is payable at the following rates: Up to 1400cc the rate is 22.5% of the Irish open market selling price. From 1401cc to 1900 cc incl the rate is 25% of the Irish open market selling price. Over 1901 cc the rate is 30% of the Irish open market selling price.
    In the cases of Category A ( cars) and Category B (small carvans) vehicles the chargeable value for calculation of VRT is based on the open market selling price (OMSP) of the vehicle at the time of charging the tax.
    The OMSP of a NEW vehicle is the price of the vehicle declared to the Revenue Commissioners by a manufactuer or sole distributor which is inclusive of all taxes and duties which that model, including any enhancements or accessories, and which in the declarant`s opinion might reasonably be expected to fetch on a first arm`s length sale thereof in the open market in the State by retail.
    The OMSP of a USED vehicle is the price which in the opinion of the Commissioners the vehicle might reasonably be expected to fetch on a first arm`s length sale in the State. The tax is payable at the time of registration of the vehicle. For used vehicles age, condition, mileage and fitted extras will be taken into consideration. The OMSP will be calculated by the VRO on the basis of information provided and by physical examination of the vehicle.
    The actual amount of VRT payable will be determined at the time of registration in the State following an inspection of the vehicle. The amount of VRT may be increased to take account of accessories or optional extras not mentioned in your enquiry.
    You are strongly advised to recheck the VRT payable on any vehicle that you intend to bring into the State before doing so, as the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) may be changed over time and consequently the amount of VRT payable.
    VAT ON "NEW" VEHICLES ACQUIRED WITHIN THE EU:
    Motor vehicles which have less than 6000 kms or are less than 6 months old on the date of registration in the State are liable to 21% VAT. VAT is payable in the State, whether or not the VAT was paid in the country of exportation. If VAT was paid in the country of exportation, then a refund can be sought from the VAT authorities in that country. Irish VAT is charged on the invoice price, less the VAT paid in the country of export (if VAT was paid) converted into Euro at the Customs monthly exchange rate in operation for the calandar month in which the vehicle is produced for re-registration. Vehicles with MORE than 6000kms AND are OVER 6 months old there is NO VAT payable if ACQUIRED WITHIN the EU. VAT is payable on NEW and USED cars IMPORTED from OUTSIDE the EU.
    The above VRT regulations apply to both NEW and USED vehicles brought into the State. Private individuals importing cars are required by law to produce the vehicle(s) at a VRO and pay the appropriate VRT & VAT ( if due) WITHIN 24 hours or by the end of the next working day.

VRO`s IN THE DUBLIN AREA:
    (1) Furry Park Industrial Estate, Santry, Dublin 9 Tel: 8579800.
    (2) St. John`s House, High St, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Tel 4149700
    The VRT & VAT is payable at these centres.
    You will have to supply me with the following information on the commercial vehicle and the cost of converting the van to a camper:
    (a) reg year of van (reg no if Irish registered)
    (b) Make and model of van
    (c) No of doors
    (d) Engine cc
    (e) Petrol or Diesel
    (f) Value of van as of
    (g) Cost of the conversion to a camper including VAT
    I will then forward this information to Rosslare CVO to get a VRT amount payable on the vehicle as a camper.

X
    Dublin South County Customer Services.

So am I right in saying that if my van does not meet the height requirments ie 1.8meters I will need to pay the full rates of VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

What country is your van registered in? I got the impression its Irish.
    ]
    If its Irish you dont have to pay any more VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

bijapos wrote: »
    What country is your van registered in? I got the impression its Irish.
    ]
    If its Irish you dont have to pay any more VRT.

To convert from commercial to MH/Camper VRT will apply, 30ish percent if below the 1.8meters.
    In addition the Motor Tax office will also want to measure the interior height which will determine if it qualifies for reduced road tax, Here's a link from Kerry Co Co motor tax office

You will have to re register it as a camper so you will have to pay VRT, from the sound of it I'l call the local motor tax and "tell them what you are thinking of doing" as well. When I taxed mine for the first time I just signed a deceleation form - but it's a high top.
    By the way you now that campers will have to be doe'd every year as well now.

How old is the van? What would you expect them to charge you.

swa this on done dela might be of use to you

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/980941

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The matter is slightly more complimacated :D

With the tin roof or a pop top, the van would definetly NOT qualify as a camper (or "motor caravan" as officialdom calls it). So no cheap tax, no re-designation as camper, no camper VRT of 13.5% (or 50 euro if over 3 tons empty)

With windows in the back and camping gear in there, it might be difficult to retain the "commercial" classification ...depends on who looks at it and what they make of it on the day.
    You could run into a whole heap of trouble though, if you're driving around on commercial tax, on a weekend, elbow out the window, surfboard on roof and run into a customs checkpoint. Because private use and commercial tax don't mix and devoid of income as the governement is, they'd be happy to remedy that via your back pocket and a hefty fine.

So the last avenue open to you (if you happen to be an honest and dutiful citizen) is to have your vehicle classified as a private vehicle. Higher motor tax of course, and as the original commercial was once on a cheaper VRT rate there would also a difference in VRT payable.

On top of it all ...with a camper that isn't a camper and a commercial that isn't a commercial you might suddenly find that insurance companies don't want to know you anymore.

That's a right mess you landed yourself in there.

peasant wrote: »
    The matter is slightly more complimacated :D

With the tin roof or a pop top, the van would definetly NOT qualify as a camper (or "motor caravan" as officialdom calls it). So no cheap tax, no re-designation as camper, no camper VRT of 13.5% (or 50 euro if over 3 tons empty)
    I've seen a 06 Pop top and from expeince I was told that my 1.77 M class A vechiel would get camper road tax once I paid 3600 VRT managed to get it classed at B but that's a whole other story. I think it all depends on who you get on the day the best thing to do is call Roslare VRT office and ask them they have final say on campers -- tell them what you are thinking of doing as you live an apartment and have to be able to bring it underground

I think you'll get screwed for VRT but if you get luck and show it's only worth a few K then it might be a good deal or have a look at the high top bits I posted earlier and get that done.

Advertisement