Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miami Dolphins Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Delighted with that win yesterday. I didn't know what to expect after the heartbreaking loss to the Packers last week, but the reaction was top notch. Tannehill was excellent and I really liked the way he was being moved around the pocket and operate the read-option like last week. The O-Line wasn't great, but the Bears have a decent D-Line all the same.

Defense was excellent once again. Bears would have been expecting to take advantage of the Fins small corners, but Miami's pressure up front wasn't giving Cutler time to set and cleanly release.

Jags next on the road will be tough, but I'm expecting this side to be able to get the W. Will need to with some tough games up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Sloppy performance on offense today, win is a win and defense performs well as ever. Chargers will be the test and a win there can set up our season.

Fantastic performance yesterday from the Fins. Totally dominant from start to finish. Tannehill showed the potential he has, although the Chargers pass rush didn't put up much in the way of opposition. His best performance in a Dolphins shirt.

Shutting out a side like the Chargers is quite an achievement. Defense was lights out and pressured Rivers from the off. Gave up nothing on the ground and the coverage was very good.

Some tough games coming up though, which will have a major impact of where this team goes this season. Fins have to travel to Detroit, then four days later play the Bills in Miami and then travel to Denver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

we're going to win the superbowl, there I said it and I'm not a man prone to overstatement.

Defenses win rings, not QBs and ours is as good as any

donfers wrote: »
    we're going to win the superbowl, there I said it and I'm not a man prone to overstatement.

Defenses win rings, not QBs and ours is as good as any

Love the optimism :D but I'm not convinced until this team can prove they can do it when the pressure is on. Last years collapse still too fresh in my mind.

Also great to see the Fins in London again next season and against the Jets no less!

• Advertisement

Devastating defeat yesterday against the Lions. Can't be too hard on the team as they performed very well against a damn good football team.

Those last few second defeats against the Packers and now the Lions will probably be Miami's undoing. Losing Albert for the year is also a massive blow.

Big game coming up against the Bills on Thursday. Both teams simply need to win if they want any hope of playoff football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

TaosHum wrote: »
    Love the optimism :D but I'm not convinced until this team can prove they can do it when the pressure is on. Last years collapse still too fresh in my mind.

Also great to see the Fins in London again next season and against the Jets no less!

Any idea when tickets will go on sale?

Another close defeat to a very good side. But being honest, I thought the Broncos physically handled the Fins and Miami were never going to win a shoot-out. I know injuries took their toll, but I haven't seen this D get physically dominated like that all season.

Offense was very good and took apart a decent defense. Credit to the O-Line, who lost James early in the game and responded well against some top pass rushers. Tannehill was very good again (INT wasn't even his fault) and the receivers were equally good (Landry was excellent).

Next up at the Jets on MNF. Need a win to get the playoff hopes back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Well that was the kind of defeat that I've come to expect of the Dolphins in December. 10-0 with 5 seconds to play in the 2nd quarter they lose 28-13.

The season went down with Brandon Albert. Tannehill to be fair to him has held himself together but the offensive line as been imploding. Losing Finnegan, Taylor and Will Davis has left a massive hole in the defence. Trying to over compensate in pass protection has left the team vulnerable to the run.

I've had plenty of patience with Joe Philbin but having built a decent roster and team I can't help but feel he's not cut out for the job. The Phins look like a team that need a new man to come in and help them take the next step.

Well that's that for another year. Team is physically broken down and getting beat in the trenches. Probably has alot to do with injuries sustained over the past few games.

Offense just hasn't got the explosiveness that is needed to take the next step. But I've seen alot of progress there all the same. Real potential in that offense.

As for Philbin. Id push very hard for Harbaugh if he becomes available.

• Advertisement

If the defense had not been hit so hard by frontline injuries we could have gone far this season

Dallas Thomas's performance against the Ravens was as bad as it gets

Decided to watch redzone last night instead of the game. Feared it was going to be a spanking from the Pats and that's the way it turned out.

Was nice to see the offense actually try some down-field passes. Why they had to wait until the season was over to do it, I don't know.

Who will be our next coach? Harbaugh?

Unfortunately, Philbins gonna hang on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

I wouldn't think he will tbh

Lucky to hang on this year after the collapse of last year. Can see him being axed regardless of what happens in the last two games.

I hope your right, but I've seen Ross bottle it with Sparano & Ireland. Both should have been chopped earlier than they were.

Only thing that might change his mind will be Harbaugh. Having courted him prior to Harbaugh taking the 49ers job, I'd say Ross would love to have him at Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Ross just announced that Philbin WILL be back next season.

Can't begin to express how utterly pissed off I am by that. Another season of mediocre Joe awaits.

Rumours of a 7 year €105m deal for Tannehill.

Not sure I'm happy to be paying €15m a year for 7 years to a QB who has never started a playoff game and was in danger of being benched 4 games into the 2014 season.

I know his numbers improved significantly but he was still the QB of a 8-8 team who collapsed late in the season with the playoffs on the line 2 seasons running, even if it was a Joe 'coaching genius' Philbin team.

I'd be delighted with the above contact if i'm being honest. From what I gather the contact would only be two years guaranteed and then there is a team option with a player option after year 5. He definitely improved last year if the the defense held 4th quarter leads against GB, Det and Denver we probably would have made the play offs.

It would have cost 2.1 million against the cap next year and it would have cost 15 million against the cap the following year were we to exercise the 5th year option. If he continued to progress at the rate he did last year we would be looking at a lot more than 15 mil a year.

• Advertisement

Your right that his play over the past 3 years doesn't warrant such a contract, but I don't mind the Fins offering it to him either.

If Miami believe (and it would seem like they do) that he is the future of this franchise and will turn into a top QB in the league, then you have to lock him down. I also think he has shown enough progression this season to make them feel like he is the guy to take them forward.

Still alot of upside to Tannehill. Now has three years experience and is still only 26. Has great physical tools and athleticism. Hasn't missed a game in his three years as starter (remarkable considering how bad some of the protection he has gotten over the past three years). Bill Lazor knows how to get the best out of him and Tannehill has responded in kind.

Considering how bad the QB position has been in Miami since Mariino retired, it's nice to finally have a QB who you can see as a long term solution.

Hardline and Gibson both cut.

Rumours are we were trying to shop Wallace, which would leave us only Jones and Matthews so surely we go WR in the draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Benimar wrote: »
    Hardline and Gibson both cut.

Rumours are we were trying to shop Wallace, which would leave us only Jones and Matthews so surely we go WR in the draft?

Salary cap casualty, I've always liked Hartline, but is he a $6m receiver?

Absolutely not imo. Especially considering out current cap situation.

I like the cutting of Hartline & Gibson.

Reduces the cap and doesn't really weaken the team.

I'd be surprised if Wallace is delt/cut.

TaosHum wrote: »
    I like the cutting of Hartline & Gibson.

Reduces the cap and doesn't really weaken the team.

I'd be surprised if Wallace is delt/cut.

The 'Twitter talk' is that we were shopping him last week and with Clay getting the Transition tag, we are running out of cap space to keep him.

Time will tell, and there is no point assuming anything as a Dolphins fan (other tan we will make a balls of it :D)

Are we getting Suh? Or will the Colts get in ahead of us?

donfers wrote: »
    Are we getting Suh? Or will the Colts get in ahead of us?

If Colts want him, they'll get him......Dolphins can't compete with Colts' money or appeal in terms of likelihood of playoffs.

If Colts want him, they'll get him......Dolphins can't compete with Colts' money or appeal in terms of likelihood of playoffs.

The only thing the Dolphins have going for them is having no state taxes. However, I agree that the Colts are clear favourites (over us anyway)

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    The only thing the Dolphins have going for them is having no state taxes. However, I agree that the Colts are clear favourites (over us anyway)

I happen to pay Indiana income taxes.....it's only about 3.5%

Granted 3.5% of a multimillion dollar contract is a decent tax bill.....but would he really miss it?

Advertisement