Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do people hate community spirit these days

• 18-06-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was walking past the shopping centre the other day and there was a man who was offering the good news to locals, now instead of being praised for community work he was either been ignored or mocked.

Another time a member of my youth group was walking through the town and he noticed a homeless man by the foothpath, he seen that he had no shoes and that his feet were quite dirty. He then being the good christian offered to bath the mans feet to which the homless man looked like at him like he had three heads before being told to 'p**s off'

Theres a lot work ahead of me that is for sure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Fr Martin wrote: »
    I was walking past the shopping centre the other day and there was a man who was offering the good news to locals, now instead of being praised for community work he was either been ignored or mocked.

Another time a member of my youth group was walking through the town and he noticed a homeless man by the foothpath, he seen that he had no shoes and that his feet were quite dirty. He then being the good christian offered to bath the mans feet to which the homless man looked like at him like he had three heads before being told to 'p**s off'

should have asked if he wanted his feet washed in carlsberg special brew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I wouldn't exactly describe that as community work. And people don't like others' beliefs being forced on them.

How disrespectful! Just because he's homeless doesn't mean he has no pride.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Spaghetti monster save us from Gimmick posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Omg. Are you a real... in AH?! :eek:

*Sweats profusively*

/hides

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

OP, are you any relation of the guy that makes shoes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Martin

Well a few friends I made through bible slams used to work in a shoe factory, any names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Probably scared the hell out of him and never seen any kindness from anyone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, but he knows a lot of cobblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Fr Martain, I've got the perfect place for you.
    here.
    Sits back with large coke and popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Another time a member of my youth group was walking through the town
    It is just me, or can anyone else here alarm bells going off in the far distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Has The Citizen joined the priesthood then?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Thats not community spirit, its just forcing your particular brand of BS upon people who frankly don't care. If you want to help the community the church should sell off as much land as required to settle the abuse bill on its own, not running to the state to bail them out.
    On that note if the church gave a damn it should spend ALL its funding on helping the poor, not Bishops salaries and huge churches, peters pence my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Looks like he is not on line atm - maybe attending one of his bible slams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

No need for animosity if indeed he is really a priest who are we to know what kind of person he is>could be he is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Another time a member of my youth group was walking through the town

Your "youth group" eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Holy crap

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I bet he has connections with the guy who mends souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A Jesus in the modern world parody thread.

Dermot Ahern wants a word with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I know right? Once I went to the post office on unmarried mothers' day and told them the repurcussions of their illegitimate offspring. They didn't appreciate my good work one bit, and threw my chastity belts back in my face :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Bring back the 'Tops of the Town' competition, I say. Winning that meant going on to represent the town in the 'Tops of the Parish' competition.

Christ, things haven't been the same since. There was a great community spirt back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Bring back the 'Tops of the Town' competition, I say. Winning that meant going on to represent the town in the 'Tops of the Parish' competition.

Christ, things haven't been the same since. There was a great community spirt back in the day.

Yeah i remember the parties on the green outside my home when i was a kid. Run around the place, get my face painted and fight with my brother. Them the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Haha, "community work". I suppose if I did the same, only offering the "good news" of Satan you wouldn't consider it community work at all? I've had too many bad experiences with street preachers who've literally cornered me and yelled about how I was going to burn in hell for all eternity.

Pretty warped community work is ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Whats the good news? Is the recession nearly over?
    And on the other point the guys homeless the last thing he needs is being pestered by foot fetishists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Martin

I think of all the posts here, It really goes to show that it is lost and something to be laughed at

I have a 3 point CS plan. This plan will be implemented in the towns in my area, It involves shoe collections and yes a few Bible slams here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

What is a bible slam? Is it a self defense move to protect you if the homeless guy doesn't like his new shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

aoibhebree wrote: »
    How disrespectful! Just because he's homeless doesn't mean he has no pride.

That's what Jesus would say. What an appaling way to exploit someone else's misfortune. Disgusting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think of all the posts here, It really goes to show that it is lost and something to be laughed at

Thats the society we live in. Nothing you can do to change minds. Unless of course you decide to put a gun to their face. But then you're part of the problem too. What a vicious circle!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You're not always so full of community spirit these days yourself padre:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60637236&postcount=37

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

What is this good news? Is it Jesus? Cos that's like 2,000 years old or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's just not community work, you must be deluded to honestly believe 99% of people would ever consider it to be community work. Fair enough if you want to remind people that their was this guy called Jesus around 2000 years ago but don't expect any pats on the back for it.
    Well, Father Martin I'm not surprised the man didn't like your overtly sexual proposition. Maybe he has a past with priests that lead to him ending up on the street. Why didn't you just offer him a hot meal or something that would actually help him make it through the day.

It's all well and good having good intentions but your really wasting those good intentions if your carrying on like that the whole time. There's little generosity in what your doing IMO, you need to get off your high horse and stop looking down your nose at people. If you really want to help, help. Leave the judging to Jesus.

Advertisement