Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Its great! I loved it :)

Thanks for the opinion. I've watched a few Ghibli films and I've liked nearly all of them. I'll fire it up tonight so, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Its great! I loved it :)

TY Tyranax for the idea and Cherryghost for the feedback...I love Studio Ghibli too...gotta take a look at this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Watching Slayers, and Super Robot Wars OG: Divine Wars (because getting into the games is complicated).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

TY Tyranax for the idea and Cherryghost for the feedback...I love Studio Ghibli too...gotta take a look at this one!

Yeah Kiki's was a great watch :) (any Ghibli movie is!)

Not really watching much at the moment, only Toradora! and Toaru Majetsu no Index really. Both decent watches.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah Kiki's was a great watch :) (any Ghibli movie is!)

maybe with an exception of My Neighbours the Yamadas. good attempt at something different, but to be fair, its not great.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen My Neighbours, so I can't comment on that, but I didn't really enjoy My Neighbour Totoro, although I'd say that this is because it is aimed squarely at young children, and I saw it when I was, err, twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

maybe with an exception of My Neighbours the Yamadas. good attempt at something different, but to be fair, its not great.

I probably shouldnt have said ALL ghibli movies (i haven't seen all of them, but a good fair few), but all the ones i have seen iv enjoyed greatly

Well, I watched Kiki's Delivery Service tonight, heartily enjoyed it. Full of charm and sparkle, great film. One thing that I noticed in anime compared to western animated films, in terms of ones aimed towards children, there seems to be a distinct lack of schmaltz and more respect for their intelligence towards children in the anime ones that I have seen. Although that seems to be getting better these days with gems like Ratatouille and Wall-E. I respect Pixar as much as Ghibli, they are both producers of such quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Aaaw I got Kiki's Delivery Service for christmas and watched it with the boyfriend - think he was intimidated by how much I was enjoying it.

There's something about this type of animation. It isn't patronising to kids, and it's still entertaining to us slightly bigger kids (i.e. we're taller)

Misa-san wrote: »
    Aaaw I got Kiki's Delivery Service for christmas and watched it with the boyfriend - think he was intimidated by how much I was enjoying it.

There's something about this type of animation. It isn't patronising to kids, and it's still entertaining to us slightly bigger kids (i.e. we're taller)

Heh, that's quite true. Was it your boyfriend's first time watching an anime directed at children(of all ages)?

I picked up Nausicaa, Porco Rosso and Laputa:Castle In The Sky at the weekend in HMV, they were all going for 13 euro, and I was quite pleased, and tempted to get more.....

Kiki though, great film. Those films are just so.....hearty, if you know what I mean. There are trials and tribulations and drama, but it's sweet at it's heart.(I sound as gay as a pink washbag...)

• Advertisement

LOL Tyranax...but it's true (not that u sound as a pink washbag...lol), I wathced KiKi yesterday night, lovely...even in low quality (directly via internet)...anyway, the end it's a bit..."not complete" to me, still beautiful...not my fave from Ghibli but lovely nonetheless ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

Misa-san wrote: »

Ain't that for sure Misa-san!

I've been watching 'Project A-ko' lately with my girlfriend, and she's loving it! For those of you who have not seen it yet, it's an absolutely mental parody of most Shoujo and Robot anime. I fully recommend it to anyone with an oddball sense of humor like myself :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Watching Gunslinger Girl now, its a bit... erm...overly dramatic? But that is its only downfall so far :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Am awaiting The Girl Who Leapt Through Time to come in the mail.

I watched Paprika on Blu-ray a few nights ago. Complete eye candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is so so good, loved it.

Watching Welcome to the NHK(again!) at the moment myself, definitely one of my faves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

e_e wrote: »
    I watched Paprika on Blu-ray a few nights ago. Complete eye candy.

The Bluray print is pretty damn sweet. An all around awesome film really, especially the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tman wrote: »
    The Bluray print is pretty damn sweet. An all around awesome film really, especially the soundtrack

is that a dub or sub version

is that a dub or sub version
    Both dub and sub.

I am now watching Fruit Basket, read the manga few years ago and loved it.
    Watching it on youtube, japanese with italian fansub, LOL

TY for giving me new ideas and make me even a bigger otaku than I already am :pac:

Watched Nausicaa last night, top quality, and more mature than I thought it would be. The woman who voiced Nausicaa herself in the Japanese dub did a fantastic job of her, really brought her to life, although to be fair the rest of the cast did great jobs on their charachters as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

i never got into reading manga even though one of my friends was a huge fan. i do like how the books are right to lrft though

I'm reading mangas since...12 years?! Doh!
    Anyway...I now read every magazine or newspaper from the last page to the first one...lol...instinctively...sometimes I thinkabout it and correct myself LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive been trying to get into this Macross Plus but its just not happening. Some of the action is good but I dont care for te story in general.

Still watching Gundam 00. Into S2E15 so far, and its still good.

and had my first run through of cowboy bebop over christmas. brilliant.

Haibane Renmei

First episode was beautiful.

2007-08-01-haibane-renmei.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Watching Clannad as a break between finishing Gundam 0079 and starting Zeta Gundam.

Fuko = Win

I'm looking for another recommendation if ye don't mind. I have both Porco Rosso and Laputa: Castle In The Sky to watch. I don't know which to see first. I just watched Nausicaa last week so I'm leaning towards Porco Rosso as a change from that in terms of tone and setting, but I'm looking forward to watching Laputa as well. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Tyranax wrote: »
    I'm looking for another recommendation if ye don't mind. I have both Porco Rosso and Laputa: Castle In The Sky to watch. I don't know which to see first. I just watched Nausicaa last week so I'm leaning towards Porco Rosso as a change from that in terms of tone and setting, but I'm looking forward to watching Laputa as well. Any suggestions?

Unfortunatly haven't seen either, but if you're looking for another well animated movie you could try 5cm Per Second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭DURKA-DURKA

just watched tokyo godfathers. not like any other manga ive ever seen! but good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

Tyranax wrote: »

Personally I prefer Laputa, has a lovely story, good characters plot twists and excellent animation!

Im watching Eathsea tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Just started School Days manga.

Not too bad, mind you I'm still early into it.

Advertisement