Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Shooting for beginners

• 08-09-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Okay,

Are there any courses on for people who want to start deer shooting ?

How do you obtain a permit to shoot deer?

What calibre rifle is recommended?

The main problem I think I'm going to have is that I don't know anyone with land to shoot deer, I'm based in Dublin, So Wicklow would be good, is my only option to go knocking on doors?

Which do I need to get first, fac or permit to shoot?

Anyone willing to take me under there wing??

Finally, what did you have for breakfast?? :D:p:p:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

All you need to know can be found on the Irish Deer Society web pages at: http://www.idsl.ie

I didn't see anything about breakfast there though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

cornflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

have you got any experience of shooting? do you hold a FAC?I would recommend going along for at least five or six successful stalks and see what is involved, there is more to it than just shooting the deer, that is where the work starts,i have had a couple of people along with me over the years and its all great till the gutting/dragging/butchering starts and then you have alot of meat and waste to contend with. In my experience it doesnt be long changing peoples mind, what part of dublin you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You gotta know about your quarry too, right 6.5?? Which animal is a 'good' one to shoot and which ones should be left. (or does that depend on the species?)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

have you got any experience of shooting? do you hold a FAC?I would recommend going along for at least five or six successful stalks and see what is involved, there is more to it than just shooting the deer, that is where the work starts,i have had a couple of people along with me over the years and its all great till the gutting/dragging/butchering starts and then you have alot of meat and waste to contend with. In my experience it doesnt be long changing peoples mind, what part of dublin you in?

I already hold an fac for a shotgun, mainly rough shooting, but lately have started trying my hand at a few clays.
    I know I need to go along for a few stalks, but I don't know anyone willing to take me.
    The butchering side of things won't effect me too much I don't think. The neighbour keeps a few greyhounds and i've often gutted,skinned, and cut up calfs / cows for greyhound food. I know this is completely different to butchering a deer for eating, but I'm just saying that I think I'd have the stomach for it!
    I know that it involves a lot more than just th actual shooting of a deer, and I think thats part of the reason I'd like to get into it, it's a nice bit more challenging then plinking a few rabbits with my fathers .22!
    I'm based in Goatstown.

• Advertisement

Yes, good point Alan123, there is that side of it too, it really depends on what species and where you are shooting. Every day is a school day when you are shooting of any sort, target or hunting and i dont claim to be an expert or anything like it, you learn something every day out, your best bet might be try your local gun dealer or gun club,there is usually somebody that is involved with deer in some way or another connected with theese, or you could join some of the deer associations, Wicklow deer society, Wild deer Ireland, Irish deer society or some of them, im sure thats only a few

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

your best bet might be try your local gun dealer or gun club,there is usually somebody that is involved with deer in some way or another connected with theese, or you could join some of the deer associations, Wicklow deer society, Wild deer Ireland, Irish deer society or some of them, im sure thats only a few

Thanks for that, I'm afraid I have asked my local dealer, but to no avail. Do these associations have reserved lands like game clubs or are they each to ther own regarding shooting rights?
    Going by your name, I presume you shoot a 6.5 x 55, would you recommend it?

Yes thats my gun alright, 6.5x55 mannlicher classic, cant praise that gun enough, have had sevral calibres over the years but i have stuck with the 6.5, plenty people will tell you different but i think some guns suit different people and some dont, i have had that gun since 2002 and have shot a right good lot of deer with it, and never has it let me down but when i started out deer shooting i learned a valuble lesson by buying a fairly good scope and cheap rifle, BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE, buy the best and it will last you a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

what is invloved in joining these deer societies 6.5??

Im not exactly sure PP. i have made many attempts to join sevral but to no avail, they mostly come across as jobs for the boys type gigs to me, i was lucky enough to stumble into a stalking syndicate with about ten very experienced stalkers a couple of years ago and we pretty much do our own thing but the good side of it is we bid for forestry lettings and get discounts on our insurance, its getting harder and harder to get quality shooting theese days and with the HCAP (which i personally think should be mandatory for getting a stalking licence) it is raising the bar a small bit but not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

cool is there many of these syndicates around or did you just get lucky?

what is the hcap?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I rang several of these "societies" and never even got a reply to leaving voicemail.
    If that is the standard of service I very much doubt that the Hunter competency assessment programme is even worthwhile applying for.
    I understand the need for training hunters, but I am not enamoured with the poor quality information and cliquish behaviour of these societies.

The HCAP is the Hunter Competancy Assessment Program and it is an individual test for stalkers, nothing to do with syndicates or anything else but from next year you have to hold a hcap cert to shoot on coillte lands, very worthwhile to do the test even for the most experienced stalker as it is recognition of your abilities.

Advertisement