Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started Guide -page 1

• 03-04-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I've been interested in Buddhism for about four years. I've gone to seminars and talks, and basic meditation classes.

But, my big problem is getting on a learning curve.

For example, if I want to learn, say, Karate, I start as a white belt, with an instuctor teaching me the basics. When I have perfected the various punches and kicks of basic level, I move onto stage 2...and so on.

Alot of what I have learned is very useful, but I sometimes feel like that I am starting on 'chapter 3', instead of learning the earlier 'chapters' first.

It is such a vast subject, and is easy to 'pick n mix' what suits you and what doesn't, but I would like to be in a learning curve, where someone can comment on my progress and guide me along.

Is it possible to have this sort of guidance in Ireland, within the context of living an everyday life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

zag wrote:
    Is it possible to have this sort of guidance in Ireland, within the context of living an everyday life?

Good question zag, I want to think on this a little bit. In the mean time, think on what you think chapters 1 and 2 might be about. With 20 years under the belt I am sure I can think of a couple of things.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Well for starters:
    Understanding the Four noble truths, which I have some grasp on. Perhaps meditating on each one until understanding develops.

Practicing mindfulness meditation 15 mins a day(gradually getting longer):
    1. Sitting with spine straight, in a relaxed upright posture.
    2. Allowing the body and mind to relax, focusing gently on the posture, then turning the mind to breath.
    3. Allowing thoughts to come, and letting them go. Not attaching to them.
    4. Letting go of any expectations of the meditation, and re-focusing on breath.

Relax.....!

Being mindful in every day life, from the smallest task, ie: eating, scratching, anything!
    Remembering the moral precepts, (not too hard for Christians, ie: 10 commandments!).

After some weeks(or months!) of practicing mindfulness meditation, start practicing Loving Kindness:
    Visualising yourself, Saying and Feeling "May you be well, may you be, happy, may you be free from suffering"
    Visualising someone you like, Saying and Feeling "May you be well, may you be, happy, may you be free from suffering"
    Then, passing the visualisation onto a person you don't care about.....
    Then passing the visualisation onto someone you don't like

zag wrote:
    Well for starters:

That sounds like a great plan, and it is your plan. Now do it. I am alway happy to comment or point you in a different direction. Please ask, but remember that only you know the questions, I can and will help with the answers. Start by remembering that we are all equal:)

I am going to create a schedule for myself, and stick to it. I will keep a diary, and transfer my notes onto a blog or something, so that others can read it. I'm going to do this today.

Thanks Asia for your support!

zag wrote:
    I am going to create a schedule for myself, and stick to it. I will keep a diary, and transfer my notes onto a blog or something, so that others can read it. I'm going to do this today.

Thanks Asia for your support!

Cool, start a blog and we can all get involved.

I will now give you the secret formula to success. Make a determination to do something and no matter what, do IT. Only in this way can we move forward.
    Glad I could help

• Advertisement

I think it would help me to get going, finally. I'm going to do it, really start.

zag wrote:
    I think it would help me to get going, finally. I'm going to do it, really start.

That sounds like a determination to me. We say in Buddhism that once the determination has been made the result has also been determined. It is now up to you, with our support behind you. I await your blog.

Watch this space:cool:

zag wrote:
    Watch this space:cool:

I am.

• Advertisement

zag wrote:
    I'm there.

Asiaprod wrote:
    I'm there.

Yay! My first comment!:D

Thanks for spurring me on.

Do you think I should create a thread to let others know about it, or would that look arrogant/pretentious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Excellent Idea for a blog Zag, will look forward to reading it.

zag wrote:
    Yay! My first comment!:D

Thanks for spurring me on.

Do you think I should create a thread to let others know about it, or would that look arrogant/pretentious?

Announce it anyway you see fit. add a link to it from you signature. Anything you can think of. Well done.

Excellent Idea for a blog Zag, will look forward to reading it.
    Thanks Twillight. I saw your comment by the way. What courses/retreats did you go to?

Hello there! Here's the new sig. Pretty cool huh?

zag wrote:
    Thanks Twillight. I saw your comment by the way. What courses/retreats did you go to?

Zag,
    I Went to a Basic Meditation Course in Dublin Buddhist Centre and also attended a course in the Dublin Rigpa centre for 10 Weeks 'Finding Peace', an introduction to meditation

Zag,
    I Went to a Basic Meditation Course in Dublin Buddhist Centre and also attended a course in the Dublin Rigpa centre for 10 Weeks 'Finding Peace', an introduction to meditation
    I went to the Basic Meditation Course there too. The course was good, I learned the basics of 'Sati' and 'Metta Bhavna'. I think the teacher's name was Ratna Bandu, from Donegal I think. I got a newsletter from them, for ages, and then I got a plea for donations for Ratna Bandu. He had decided to leave the Buddhist order, and go back to his roots, medicine. I was a bit sceptical after that.
    I haven't had much dealings with Rigpa, I think they are somehow connected to Dzonchen Beara in West Cork. I went there to see Ringu Tulku last year, he was great.
    What was the 'finding peace' course like?

zag wrote:
    I went to the Basic Meditation Course there too. The course was good, I learned the basics of 'Sati' and 'Metta Bhavna'. I think the teacher's name was Ratna Bandu, from Donegal I think. I got a newsletter from them, for ages, and then I got a plea for donations for Ratna Bandu. He had decided to leave the Buddhist order, and go back to his roots, medicine. I was a bit sceptical after that.
    I haven't had much dealings with Rigpa, I think they are somehow connected to Dzonchen Beara in West Cork. I went there to see Ringu Tulku last year, he was great.
    What was the 'finding peace' course like?

It was an excellent course I'd recommend it. There is alot more discussion during the classes and the meditation is taught in a different way to the DBC. The Course is based on certain chapters of 'The Tibeatan Book of Living and Dying' Im intending to go back there but things are quite busy with college/work at the moment. I was just on Rigpa's website there and noticed
    that Sogyal Rinpoche will be giving a Public Talk in Dublin Thursday, 22nd June at The Helix, If anyone is interested....

Yes, I would be interested. One for the diary methinks. Also, think I mentioned Ringu Tulku in May...

• Advertisement

zag wrote:
    Yes, I would be interested. One for the diary methinks. Also, think I mentioned Ringu Tulku in May...

17th of may isnt it?

"Provisional Dublin teaching dates are 16th - 20th May 2006, inclusive. Full details of 2006 visit available in early April. "

I have emailed them, but they haven't got back to me yet.

Advertisement