Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking a picture of a stranger.

• 18-06-2012 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Say you where out and about with your camera.

You see a person on your travels that would make for an interesting image. Be it a beautiful girl or interesting chap.

How do you get the photo without scaring the sh1t of of them?

I have often held back because they may take offence to a cam in the face.

I have a million pics of my own child at this stage and would like to explore the portrait world a little further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Point, focus, click, disappear, that's how I do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Or you could get a Super-Secret Spy Lens! :cool:

Discussion here. Under 30 euro on eBay.

Cam in the face, I say, and if they complain tell them to run off home to their mammy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try this method -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

HAHAAHA that guy is nuts. Talk about an adventure each time he goes shooting.

i would think he has had a few slaps in his day for being so bold with a camera.

I was on the way home from Galway a few weeks ago . I was a passenger in a van.

On the way home I snapped people in their cars driving. I got their attention and every single person smiled or posed in some way. Especially woman. Very positive reactions.

Nearly all the pics where terrible as all you could see was the glare of the glass.

Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Say you where out and about with your camera.

You see a person on your travels that would make for an interesting image. Be it a beautiful girl or interesting chap.

How do you get the photo without scaring the sh1t of of them?

I have often held back because they may take offence to a cam in the face.

I have a million pics of my own child at this stage and would like to explore the portrait world a little further.

As you walk towards your subject let them see you have a camera ready to take a photo, smile and nod at them. 99% of the time they are happy to let you snap them. Always engage with your subject, ask them a question about themselves. A bit of banter is a great groundbreaker I find. When you get a negative vibe just back off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If you do the facebook thing, check, follow or like the Humans of Dublin project.

Love their daily postings.

Not entirely sure who is behind it. Don't think its on here.

Dazftw I think posted about starting out on this before. Try a search of his posts about 18months/2 years ago perhaps(?)

There appears to be two schools of thought on this - (a) go candid and capture the natural, or (b) engage your subject and get an engaged pose/ perhaps non natural but equally brilliant. With (b) if you engage enough, you may get the natural candid but in all its close up glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Well, you could stand well out of sight with a zoom lens and take their picture and they'd never be any the wiser. I'd advise against doing that though. There is zero skill in it. And it's sneaky too.

Otherwise you could walk up and ask them for a photo. I've been doing this recently because I'm practicing taking portraits, and most people are pretty happy to oblige. Since you mentioned portraits in your post, this might be the better way to do it.

A good way to start would be to photograph street-performers. They're well used to people taking their photos and definitely won't take offence! Should help you get used to taking pics of strangers.

On a related note, I recently caught a guy snapping my photo from a distance in Temple Bar and walked over and gave him an ear-full.

It wasn't even that I was annoyed about the photo, it was the fact that when I turned to him he immediately turned away as though he hadn't been taking my photo at all! Not even the courtesy to give a smile or a wave...

Point is - A little respect goes a long way in this type of photography. If you're pleasant and friendly, people will be inclined to trust you and most won't object to you photographing them.

If you skulk around corners with a 200mm, expect bad reactions when you're eventually caught (and you will be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

There was a bit more recent thread on the subject -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74151988

I was reading that thread a couple of weeks ago.

There's one photo on there that I think is just disgraceful. It's basically the antithesis of what I was saying at the end of my previous post. No respect for the person in the photo. No thought given to their dignity. And no artistic or thematic justification for it.

I won't name the poster, you'll see the photo yourself, but it's the sort of thing that puts me off candids entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'm not a street photographer but somehow I have the feeling that people who need to take photographs of complete strangers are lacking some component in themselves. It's kinda sneaky and uncool to loiter around taking surreptitious snaps of strangers. It's not documentary, it's not portraiture, it's not art.

Somebody explain to me why I'm wrong.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I'm not a street photographer but somehow I have the feeling that people who need to take photographs of complete strangers are lacking some component in themselves. It's kinda sneaky and uncool to loiter around taking surreptitious snaps of strangers. It's not documentary, it's not portraiture, it's not art.

I like to spur a reaction from people. It gets my heart thumping. I love to see different faces. Some great faces out there.

Not sure about the telephone sneaky approach. It's a bit creepy.

I can't see your point about lacking .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

djgaillimh wrote: »
    On a related note, I recently caught a guy snapping my photo from a distance in Temple Bar and walked over and gave him an ear-full.

Bit harsh. The guy was only practicing his street photography. I don't think he did any harm

Thomas Leuthard gives great advice on street photography. Check out his ebooks (which are free)

http://book.85mm.ch

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

There's a group called 100 strangers... good luck!

swingking wrote: »
    Bit harsh. The guy was only practicing his street photography. I don't think he did any harm

The point, as I explained to him, is that there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it. True, he's not obliged to acknowledge me, and if I'm in a public place he can take as many photos as he pleases, but it's a question of courtesy.

Sneaking a photo of somebody using a zoom lens and then pretending you didn't do it is a ****ty way to behave, and if he keeps doing it he'll encounter far less understanding people than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 petercena

Some times it happens that you are enjoying a place and suddenly you saw a good picture click situation and it is possible that some unknown person was into your frame if you want to take that snap you can request them and explain that he/she is looking good in that frame and if they want you can even send them a copy of that picture. I tried it so many times it always work.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I reckon you are going through the hardest part, the approaching strangers and asking to take their photo, when you've done a few it becomes very easy. Just bear in mind the worst they can say is "no"

Of course you can do the "sneaky pic" approach or just take it without their knowledge, personally I prefer to engage with the person (even learn a little bit about them) before taking the shot.

I did a project 365 last year, and people photography was something I wanted to work on so I had to take the plunge.

What I found worked for me, was a simple, friendly and direct approach. I go up to people with the camera clearly visible and say something like, do you mind if I ask you a question you probably won't be asked today? The follow up with saying I'm a photographer doing a project and would like to take their photo, most people laugh and say sure. I then tell them where there photo might appear online (my blog). I've yet to have somebody say no.

Here are couple I managed to get:

138C9038D41D48219511383091C70F1A-0000336212-0002290923-00500L-582F54FD67CF48029DFC62FE7F65943D.jpg

FD39240E74DF43A58DE76C8E442E5ED4-0000336212-0002302969-00500L-55F420E1EAD94F6F836D440DF6E2EED9.jpg

9933782128BC443FA5C127D3DB45001E-0000336212-0002353439-00500L-790E4FAC7BAA4C78BC85C324829FA6F9.jpg

I say, just bite the bullet and go for it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I did a whole year of it last year, all taken with my 50mm lens and some interaction with all of the subjects. Even got a book out of it....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've taken shots of strangers on everything from a 35mm to 200mm lens (FF equivalent) and see nothing wrong with it. I only go for candids - personal preference as I don't like posed shots.
    I usually stand in a prominent spot on the footpath in full view of everyone. No sneaky approach! People usually spot ya and then ignore ya while walking straight past ya. Sometimes you get a sneaky smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

@gsxr1 I do a fair bit of this because I like people and it is an interesting way to interact. I generally walk straight up to the person and ask if they mind if I take a photo. 9 times out of 10 they say go ahead and laugh, usually they ask why I would want their photo. I always offer to send them a copy if the shots looks ok.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

Lovely pictures of people on bikes in Edinburgh: http://edinburghcyclechic.wordpress.com/ . I have done similar thinks and only once have been asked to delete a picture. Though it might be easier to do if you are female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

rdsatapa wrote: »
    I have done similar thinks and only once have been asked to delete a picture. Though it might be easier to do if you are female.

Blokes are just as good at deleting photos :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What I did was hold my hand slightly up, not too high and just say:

"Sorry do you mind if I ask you a quick question?"

"I'm doing a project and interesting looking strangers would you mind if I take a quick photo and you don't have to pose or anything."

Yes or a no reply. Its nerve racking but worth it when you get the shot.

Here are some of the results, very simple portraits.

http://www.darrencarlinphoto.com/strangers

I will add I don't mind doing it the sneaky way. As long as its not with a telephoto! They usually come out crap any time I see them on here.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hugh_C wrote: »

Well Hugh, it could be documentary, portraiture or art. Really its different for everyone. Your studio shots are superb but not everyones type of shot. When you look back through old books of photography its really nice to see street photography as it gives a sense of feeling for the time that the photo was taken in. The clothes people wear, their hairstyle etc.
    As in most hobbies there is room for every style and thats what makes it interesting. Broadens ones horizons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A bit of inspiration:

He talks a bit about what you're saying john.

Just found this one:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I don't know the specifics of the situation or how the scenario played but you might just have destroyed this individual's confidence who may never take a candid again. Ok, I appreciate that you don't particularly have to care and perhaps you feel this is a service which you've done to both people taking photographs and people being photographed but you should remember that its only your view of the world and the chap out taking a few photographs for the day/afternoon/whatever has his/her view.

An awful lot of photographers are incredibly introverted. Sineadw has a wonderful theory on the introverted nature of the photographer which I hope at some stage gets a scientific outing. A small number of the introverted, muster up the courage and some even become keyboard warrior enough to post sh*te online in the comfort of knowing that they'll never have to encounter who they're in dialogue with, but the vast majority (as evidenced by the posts on this thread) speak of the horror of initially getting over the whole 'can i take your picture please sir/madam'. Granted once done, they're over it and some wonderful work can ensue (again as evidenced by many on this thread).

From what you've written, the individual did nothing wrong yet came off the wrong side of an ear bashing from you because you took it upon yourself. He wasn't stalking you (from what you've posted) and maybe even was paying you the greatest compliment that can be bestowed upon an individual - in that he/she felt you were interesting/beautiful/different/cool/worthy enough to want to capture your image. I don't think you had no right to approach it as you did but i do think you were wrong in the approach which you took.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics of the situation or how the scenario played

And yet you've taken it upon yourself to invent some specifics and write a short essay about it.

The guy was apologetic and agreed with me that it was poor form to do it as he did. He offered to delete the photo, I told him not to bother.

Will you sleep easy tonight?

An awful lot of photographers are incredibly introverted. Sineadw has a wonderful theory on the introverted nature of the photographer which I hope at some stage gets a scientific outing. A small number of the introverted, muster up the courage and some even become keyboard warrior enough to post sh*te online in the comfort of knowing that they'll never have to encounter who they're in dialogue with, but the vast majority (as evidenced by the posts on this thread) speak of the horror of initially getting over the whole 'can i take your picture please sir/madam'.

I'd agree with the point about some photographers being introverted, but the general public do not exist as a confidence boosting exercise for shy photographers. They're not animals in a zoo, here for our amusement.

Taking a picture of somebody - even in a public place - can be considered a gross invasion of their privacy. That person doesn't know you, doesn't know what kind of person you are, doesn't know what you're going to do with that photo, doesn't know where it will be posted or for what purpose.

If you're going to do it, then you have to do it respectfully and in a manner that sets people's minds at ease. If you're going to skulk and sneak and treat people like some lesser form of life, then you're going to have to deal with an ear-bashing eventually. And moreover, you'll deserve it.

Better that this guy heard it from somebody who understood where he was coming from and didn't want to punch his lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

I'd agree with the point about some photographers being introverted, but the general public do not exist as a confidence boosting exercise for shy photographers. They're not animals in a zoo, here for our amusement.

Taking a picture of somebody - even in a public place - can be considered a gross invasion of their privacy. That person doesn't know you, doesn't know what kind of person you are, doesn't know what you're going to do with that photo, doesn't know where it will be posted or for what purpose.

If you're going to do it, then you have to do it respectfully and in a manner that sets people's minds at ease. If you're going to skulk and sneak and treat people like some lesser form of life, then you're going to have to deal with an ear-bashing eventually. And moreover, you'll deserve it.

Better that this guy heard it from somebody who understood where he was coming from and didn't want to punch his lights out.

i sorta kinda in a round about way agree with some of this. i had the chance to see pullandbang in action one day with his 52@50 project and i admire both the way he went about it - approaching the subjects and engaging with them - and the results. same with daftz's stranger stuff. just... i'm not that kind of personality. i envy those who are though, and don't resort to hiding behind a lamp post with a 200m lens.

on the flip side of that, i'm NOT comfortable having my photograph taken. i sat for sineadw's project last year and apart from my wedding day [7 hours of being photographed] it was the hardest thing i've done in years. i just don't like it. one of the reasons i kinda stopped going to photowalks is i don't like being photographed, in fact i f***ing detest it, but you're around people who snap away anyway regardless of what you say, and you don't feel comfortable enough being emphatic about the NO....... and anyway, yeah all this waffle is my way of saying i don't think enough of us who take photos appreciate that some people don't like having their photo taken :o

Yeah, I don't like having my photo taken either. Not when I'm just strolling around minding my own business anyway.

That may have contributed to my annoyance, but y'know, if he had just smiled or waved or something I wouldn't have cared.

But instead he saw me coming through his viewfinder and did the lightning-fast swivel-away manoeuvre... the mark of a guilty photographer!

That kind of behaviour does make you wonder what his intentions are.

And maybe it was just shyness on his part, but I really think if you're putting yourself in this position, knowing that people might not appreciate what you're doing, then you need to overcome it long enough to be courteous at least.

And yet you've taken it upon yourself to invent some specifics and write a short essay about it.

Nope, not at all. In fairness:
    I don't know the specifics of the situation or how the scenario played but you might just have destroyed this individual's confidence who may never take a candid again.
    From what you've written, the individual did nothing wrong yet came off the wrong side of an ear bashing from you because you took it upon yourself
    and maybe even was paying you the greatest compliment

(oh, and you should see when i offer a detailed C&C for essay proportions ;))

hey, i'm only offering perspective. maybe at some stage it will get consideration / have relevance. maybe not. I understand you see it differently.

:)

peace.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »

(oh, and you should see when i offer a detailed C&C for essay proportions ;))

Ha. I'll make sure never to post one so...

Well then let me modify my original to say that you needed a lot of maybes and ifs in order to make your case. ;)

Anyway, it was pretty amicable in the end so no harm done. I have great difficulty staying angry for longer than a few seconds.

Advertisement