Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting up

• 08-02-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hello,
    As I want to get started in model flyng, I am looking for advice on what to buy as my first plane, radio etc...

Waht I do know if that I'd like to go electric to begin with (cleanliness and space issues) and not too small (avoiding toy), not too big (dont have much space).

Secondly, do i break the bank and buy a very expensive radio with all the bells and whistles (that may lose value by time I am ready to use it to its full potential in a few years), or do I just get a basic kit that I can resell , and by new radio when ready to buy next model.

Finally, anybody willing to train a couple of rookies?

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Something like the Parkzone Radian is a good way to start.

The RTF version (ready to fly) comes with a radio and all, and has everything needed to fly. Prosperous dave is a good man to ask, he began with this one to start with 2 years ago i think it was, and so is in a better position to explain what its like for a beginner starting off, and might have some input later. He has a fleet of models now.

We have 2 of them here, great for the video camera flights.

There is the parkzone radian pro, which was a later version, but the original is better in my opinion. The one linked above is the original.

I wouldnt worry about getting a more advanced radio just yet. Its not that expensive for a radio that would be good enough for most rc pilots. But the one with the radian above is more than adequate to start with.

Another option is the Bixler, its cheaper. Im not sure what its like to fly myself. I was thinking of trying one of the ARF (almost ready to fly) versions, to try flying in the dark with lights on it.

As for training the rookies, i often did that down here in Navan. Bit of a busted up leg at the moment though, so im more or less grounded myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi

Like Robbie said, I started off with the Radian (his suggestion and a good one) two years ago. I was tempted to try and fly her myself but the Gods intervened and I ended up with a dead battery because I left it plugged into the plane overnight and the battery was sucked dry and ruined (thats your first tip - unplug the battery after the flight as the receiver in the plane will still be sucking juice out of it, even at rest on the ground). I came onto this forum to see what was wrong with the battery and Robbie sussed it. He then offered to give me a lesson and so we met up.

Now the Radian is a large plane, with a 2 metre wingspan but I thought she'd be a doddle to fly (she is, once you know how;)). However I was very glad Robbie was on hands to take over when I did silly noobie things like stalling her, sending her into spiral dives etc. By the end of the lesson though, I was getting the hang of it and I landed her in one piece, which is the aim of flying:D.

Flying model planes is a great hobby but unfortunately, starting out is the most expensive time for new flyers as you have to buy a transmitter which will cost you about €70 for a basic one like the DX5 (or buy the "ready to fly" package which includes the plane, transmitter, receiver, battery etc). I started out with the DX5 but eventually bought a DX6i as it not only lets you store up to 10 airplanes in its memory but it is a computerised radio and lets you do a lot more like set dual rates, expo, differential etc, which will mean absolutely nothing to you right now so thats why the DX5 would suffice for your first couple of planes. Once you have the transmitter bought, getting your next plane is cheaper as you can get an "almost ready to fly" plane which includes everything except the transmitter (which of course you'll have). Then later you can go even cheaper by buying a "plug and play" model where you get the plane but have to install your own receiver and of course transmitter.

Later on, we can introduce you to the wonderful Chinese emporium of "Hobbyking" where for a fraction of what you'll pay elsewhere for branded items, you can pick up planes, batteries, receivers etc.

I know Robbie is out of action at the moment but I'd be willing to give you a few pointers if you'd like. I usually fly in the Phoenix Park before work when I have it all to myself;). However I'm moving to a new job next week outside Dublin so that'll be out, unless we meet up at weekends. The one piece of advice I'd give you is to go and watch guys flying their planes, and hopefully talk to them. Flying is not easy, you WILL crash at some point, but with some lessons, you might be abale to keep the crashes to a minimum. With the modern electric foam planes, they are actually relatively easy to repair and parts are cheap.

Last thing, you will need a fairly large area in which to fly any rc plane, unless you buy a micro one which can be flown in a large sports hall. However they can't be flown outdoors unless the wind is dead calm. The area you fly in should be away from buildings, powerlines, and trees. Even a football pitch would be a tight squeeze for flying in, especially when learning. The Radian takes forever to land as she is a glider and she just keeps on gliding;). Other planes like my warbirds fly at between 40 and 60 mph and would cover the length of a football pitch is a few seconds. I have a new motorised glider, more a hotliner I suppose, called a Kinetic that can fly at 100mph on full throttle. Thats why I fly in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Dave are you flying this weekend?
    I live 5 minutes from the Phoenix park so I'd be glad to see you fly any plane. I have looked at the radian but to be honest it's size scares me a little. What is your opinion on the Bixler suggested by Robbie (140cm wingspan)?
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16542__Hobbyking_Bixler_EPO_1400mm_RTF_Mode_2_Throttle_Left_Radio_.html

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Dave are you flying this weekend?
    I live 5 minutes from the Phoenix park so I'd be glad to see you fly any plane. I have looked at the radian but to be honest it's size scares me a little. What is your opinion on the Bixler suggested by Robbie (140cm wingspan)?
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16542__Hobbyking_Bixler_EPO_1400mm_RTF_Mode_2_Throttle_Left_Radio_.html

I suggested the bixler as an alternative. Not a bad one for the price of it. The radian is great though. Its not that big really. It might sound like it when you see 2 meter wingspan. But its nice and light. When i started it was with a hi-boy, some of the old fliers would remember them:D
    A big heavy yoke it was, or maybe just under powered with the 40 engine. It flew quite well, but getting it off the ground before running out of space, and into the long grass at the phoenix park patch was interesting.

All you need is a few lessons and you would be sorted anyway.

@ dave
    I flew one of our radians here with that switching unit i put together, last weekend, it was almost dark when i landed. Would need a couple more strips to make it more visible, but looked good, some flashing under the fuse i had, and others (steady on) on the bottom of wings.

I'm building a kit plane at the moment and so I won't have time to make it into Dublin. As I no longer work in the city, I dont have any reason to go in anymore. Sorry.

The Leinster Model Club fly in the Phoenix Park most weekends. You could go have a look but I never found them very friendly.

The Bixler has gotten good reviews but as an "all in starter package", the Radian is hard to beat. 2metre wingspan might sound big but once she's in the air, you'll be glad she's big so you can keep track of her. Small planes tend to be hard to see at height.

Robbie, are you on the mend? I'm working in Trim now so not too far away from you. Haven't found a new flying site here yet but still looking.

• Advertisement

Robbie, are you on the mend? I'm working in Trim now so not too far away from you. Haven't found a new flying site here yet but still looking.

Im not sure if on the mend yet, more xrays next monday. I flew the 600 heli just for a few minutes last weekend, and the sons radian with lights on it. I can do it when someone is here to pick it up from the green.

Bring one or 2 of your planes up here if you like.

Are you looking for a flying spot around trim?

Allright i jumped.
    ordered the Radian.
    any other advice on other bits and pieces to buy?
    also, would probably be interested in another plane, maybe some cessna or piper but dont want to double up on the radio. Websites are confuding I am afraid of missing pieces.

Allright i jumped.
    ordered the Radian.
    any other advice on other bits and pieces to buy?
    also, would probably be interested in another plane, maybe some cessna or piper but dont want to double up on the radio. Websites are confuding I am afraid of missing pieces.

Which one did you order? Link?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Which one did you order? Link?

OH i ordered the one on the link you gave me at beginning of thread (from Sussex website) the one that comes with DX5 radio.

OH i ordered the one on the link you gave me at beginning of thread (from Sussex website) the one that comes with DX5 radio.

A good one to start with. You can always bring it down the M3 to navan if you want a few pointers, test flight etc.

Dont try flying it yourself anyway, if you have not flown before.

• Advertisement

Thanks Robbie I will definitely take you up on your offer. driving down is not a problem.
    will contact you when the beast has arrived :)

Thanks Robbie I will definitely take you up on your offer. driving down is not a problem.
    will contact you when the beast has arrived :)

Ok then, wont take long to arrive anyway. Just have to hope for a nice day. Them radians are light, but they will handle strong winds. But not for learing. A nice calm day is what you want for that.

Count me in when you organise a flight in Navan. Be good to have a few planes in the air instead of just mine chasing the sky rats.

Hold off buying anymore planes for a while. You should become proficient with the Radian first before you move onto another plane. I have a Supercub that's a good "second" plane after you master the Rad.

Robbie
    I'm looking for a flying site round Trim but no joy yet. I was spoiled having the Phoenix Park close to my old job.

Robbie
    I'm looking for a flying site round Trim but no joy yet. I was spoiled having the Phoenix Park close to my old job.

It can be tricky enough finding somewhere suitable. There is a good spot close to me here. I fly from a large green in the estate somertimes, but a few hundred yards down the road is a better spot for it.

I pass these lovely big fields every day on the way to and from work but I just know that as soon as I set foot in one of them to fly my plane, the local farmer would show up and give me my marching orders. Fair enough, its his land but I could chase teh crows away from his crops for him;)

I pass these lovely big fields every day on the way to and from work but I just know that as soon as I set foot in one of them to fly my plane, the local farmer would show up and give me my marching orders. Fair enough, its his land but I could chase teh crows away from his crops for him;)

If you go in and ask the farmer, they are usually fine with it. Tell them its a quiet electric aircraft. The worst is they can say no.

I was going to say the same thing as Robbie, chose the 2 or 3 properties that seem most convenient on your route and one day pop up at each one and ask for permission (and for permission to show future time without bothering the person again).

I tried that with three local farmers around where I live and all refused even though their fields just had grass in them, ie no crops or livestock. Maybe I'll win the lotto and be able to buy my own flying field. Mmmmmm, Dublin airport would be nice;).

When your Rad shows up, you'll probably want to put her together and try her out. Don't! For a start, she has a powerful motor and will pull out of your hand. Too much power, and she will loop over your head and crash. She needs space to fly so a small area is out. While you can fly her in wind, don't let her get behind you, ie fly her upwind or else you'll run the risk of her flying away on you. I'm not trying to scare you here but this is something that you'll soon learn yourself, hopefully not the hard way.

When your Rad shows up, you'll probably want to put her together and try her out. Don't! For a start, she has a powerful motor and will pull out of your hand. Too much power, and she will loop over your head and crash. She needs space to fly so a small area is out. While you can fly her in wind, don't let her get behind you, ie fly her upwind or else you'll run the risk of her flying away on you. I'm not trying to scare you here but this is something that you'll soon learn yourself, hopefully not the hard way.

I remember the hi-boy, trying it in the field where the national aquatic arena is now in 1988 or 89, thinking i could do it. Fixed it 3 times after 3 failed attemps before going and getting assistance in the phoenix park.

The box off that is still in the parents attic. Along with the fuse of a galaxy mystic, my 4th plane.

Are you going to get a few led lights dave? I can make up another of these lighting switches, and you can have it. I have different transistors up to 30 amp mosfets, but for the led strips, the 600ma transistors will do.

I was thinking of getting a bixler purely for the laugh for total darkness flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Are you going to get a few led lights dave? I can make up another of these lighting switches, and you can have it. I have different transistors up to 30 amp mosfets, but for the led strips, the 600ma transistors will do.

I was thinking of getting a bixler purely for the laugh for total darkness flying.

Hi Robbie do you have any videos of the radian flying at night ?I would love to fly it at dusk and fly it over a neighbors house who is mad in to UFOs :D.Is it hard to wire up the lights ? Do you use a separate battery to power the lights ?

• Advertisement

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Hi Robbie do you have any videos of the radian flying at night ?I would love to fly it at dusk and fly it over a neighbors house who is mad in to UFOs :D.Is it hard to wire up the lights ? Do you use a separate battery to power the lights ?

I have no pics or video yet, we just flew a radian when dusk, until almost dark. It didnt realy have enough led strips on it, just one strip split in two, with one flashing, the other steady. I will get around to it properly.

As for switching them on and off, i made a circuit myself using a micro controller and a program a did up, to have 2 outputs, one flashing, one steady. Link here. You might have seen it already.

It has to sense the receiver channel pulse width as you switch that channel on and off. Its not as simple as connecting lights to the receiver. It can be powered from the main battery by having a jst connector on it like a y lead from the main connector, or by a seperate battery.

@Rob and Dave: cant i use the DX5 that comes with the Radian to practice on flight simulator? I believe there is a free one calles FMS?
    What type of cable do i need to connect to PC?

I bought the Phoenix simulator and that came with a cable to connect to my computer. It's not cheap though at around a hundred euro. I suppose any cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a USB jack on the other should work. Maplins might do one or try eBay. The Radian is on the Phoenix sim btw.

Thanks for the offer of that lighting circuit Robbie. Might take you up on that as I normally fly early morning/late evening and I've had issues with orientation in low light. Lights on the wings/tail might help me keep sight and in control of her.

I bought the Phoenix simulator and that came with a cable to connect to my computer. It's not cheap though at around a hundred euro. I suppose any cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end and a USB jack on the other should work. Maplins might do one or try eBay. The Radian is on the Phoenix sim btw.

Thanks for the offer of that lighting circuit Robbie. Might take you up on that as I normally fly early morning/late evening and I've had issues with orientation in low light. Lights on the wings/tail might help me keep sight and in control of her.

You will have to get the led strips from hobbyking. Will you want any flashing, or all steady?

Miamiheat

Simulators are ok but tbh, they can mislead you into thinking they are exactly like flying in the real world. The sun shining in your eyes, the wind changing direction, kids messing about trying to distract you, dogs nipping at your heels, horses/cars passing by etc will affect how you fly. The best way to learn is through a buddy lead where the tutors transmitter (or tx) is the master controller and the students tx is the "slave". That way you can fly the plane but at the release of a switch, the tutor has full control and you are locked out. Very useful if the plane stalls or goes into a spin. It also helps you relax knowing that "safety net" is there.

Pity I don't work in Dublin anymore as we could have met up in the Phoenix Park and I could have hooked my old DX5 to my DX6i and let you fly my Radian. The thing about meeting up at weekends is that the flying club are around and they don't take kindly to non members using "their" park.

You will have to get the led strips from hobbyking. Will you want any flashing, or all steady?

Which way gets your attention when flying, ie is flashing more noticeable than always on or vice versa?

Which way gets your attention when flying, ie is flashing more noticeable than always on or vice versa?

Flashing looks good anyway, a flashing set on the tail will help show that its the back, and steady everywhere elxe maybe. The first one i made has 2 outputs as seen in that video i had up. Flashing and steady on the one unit.

We flew it early in the day and they were hard to see except low down. But once dusk came and we flew again, they were very bright.

Sounds the biz, flashing white strobe on the tail and a red and green steady on the wingtips, just like a real plane. I presume the circuit just plugs into a spare port on the rx like the Aux/gear port?

Sounds the biz, flashing white strobe on the tail and a red and green steady on the wingtips, just like a real plane. I presume the circuit just plugs into a spare port on the rx like the Aux/gear port?

Yes there would be a servo lead to plug into what ever channel you want to use to do the switching, and a red jst lead to power the lights. Them strips of leds are designed for 12v so you supply the sjt with 12v.

Then connectors for the lights, probably just wires, or connectors like i used on the first one. Here it is again below in photo. The blue output connectors may just be leads to put your own plugs on etc.

I got some blue heat shrink which will possibly be on it too.
    PICT0263.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

As for switching them on and off, i made a circuit myself using a micro controller and a program a did up, to have 2 outputs, one flashing, one steady. Link here. You might have seen it already.

It has to sense the receiver channel pulse width as you switch that channel on and off. Its not as simple as connecting lights to the receiver. It can be powered from the main battery by having a jst connector on it like a y lead from the main connector, or by a seperate battery.

Must order a few led strips from hobbyking and give a go.Do you use a seperate set of radian wings for the lights ?Where would I get the controller or would I have to make it ?

Advertisement