Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a model

• 30-08-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

My friend's sister is eighteen years old. She is maybe 5'5" or 5'6", a size UK2-4 (although she eats like a horse!) She is very tanned and very pretty, with waist-length blonde hair.

Although everyone she knows constantly tells her she should be a model, she is very modest and has never taken any steps in this direction.

How could she find out if there might be any interest in her?

Bear in mind, she is not willing to pay money for this. I'm just curious. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This comes up all the time. Here's a link to the most recent thread.

At 5'5", she's too short for catwalk modeling, but there could be opportunities in commercial work.

NEVER pay to join and agency or for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but saw a poster for this on my way home today so I thought I would let you know about it. Dubliner magazine is currently running a model competition, here is the details from the facebook page, maybe she might be interested in entering.

http://www.facebook.com/TheDublinerMagazine?sk=wall

"Next week one of our readers will win a three year modeling contract with 1st Option Models, €600 of jewellery from Pandora and a cover shoot with The Dubliner as part of the Dublin Fashion Festival. Will you be the winner? Pick up an entry form in The Dubliner with the Evening Herald on Thursday"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My friend's sister is eighteen years old. She is maybe 5'5" or 5'6", a size UK2-4 (although she eats like a horse!) She is very tanned and very pretty, with waist-length blonde hair.

Although everyone she knows constantly tells her she should be a model, she is very modest and has never taken any steps in this direction.

How could she find out if there might be any interest in her?

Bear in mind, she is not willing to pay money for this. I'm just curious. :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That can't be right, surely? Do they even make clothes that small????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That can't be right, surely? Do they even make clothes that small????

UK 2 is US size 0. Topshop Petite range and Miss Selfridge do a 4 as far as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Twee. wrote: »
    UK 2 is US size 0. Topshop Petite range and Miss Selfridge do a 4 as far as I remember!

I thought size UK4 was US0?

GAP seem to go as small as a size 4 too. I tried on a size 4 dress last week in there and it still didn't fit me. Ain't no way I'm a zero ;) Stupid crazy sizes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, I was also sure UK size 4 is US size 0.

Anyway, that girl is too short to be a model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Malari wrote: »
    I thought size UK4 was US0?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yeah, I was also sure UK size 4 is US size 0.

Yes, according to the Topshop website UK 6 is US 2, so it follows that UK 4 is US 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

This girl was quite a normal size as a child! She got chicken pox at the age of ten (quite old for chicken pox), and got extremely ill, and lost an awful lot of weight with it.

From that age, she always ate an enormous amount of calories (under medical advice) in an attempt to put back on the weight, but it just hasn't happened.

She's had all the scans, all of her internal organs are absolutely perfect, and she is in perfect health, but yes, she is a size 2-4, if not smaller. It's not something she's particularly proud of - if she could put on three stone overnight , it would be like winning the lottery to her!

I'm just trying to find something to make her see that being naturally skinny isn't the worst thing in the world. She's a stunning girl - if she could do a wee bit of modelling, it might help boost her self-confidence - which isn't exactly great at the moment, seeing as she and her nine-year-old sister share the same clothes!

In answer to your question, no, they don't usually make clothes that small. Which does make life pretty tough for her. Although she's very fashion conscious, she has to buy mostly kids clothes, which she hates. She has to get every bra she buys taken in quite a lot.

It's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm sorry to be harsh but from my experience as a photographic model, it's not an easy industry to work in.

You have to be exceptionally confident of your body, know your flaws, accept them and work around them. If she is already lacking in confidence having her flaws pointed out to her on a daily basis is not going to help things.

If she hasn't got confidence she won't get work. It's an exceptionally tough industry!

IMHO you would be better off approaching a photographer and getting them to do some portraits or fashion shots for her to keep and that way she has an enjoyable day and gets something out of it. There are photographers out there that do make over packages where a make up artist applies her make up professionally and the photographer then takes the pictures. It's well worth looking onto as a gift for her. That way if she does decide to progress, she has some photos to start a portfolio with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Honestly, she's too short to be a high fashion model. Usually they look for at least 5'9" or in some cases they will go to 5'7".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Like Kamili said there's no point going for it unless she is very confident and self assured.

Advertisement